Godzuki26's Wife goes aero - Felt AR FRD 48cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

gurk700

by gurk700

godzuki26 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:08 pm
Differences are UHC Ultimate vs UHC Advanced Carbon, both use Textreme but the FRD uses a a higher grade Textreme vs the AR1, the FRD has a full carbon shell for the bottom bracket vs the aluminum bottom bracket for the AR1.

Not sure what this all translates to with stiffness or ride comfort but all I know is this 48cm FRD weighs more than a 56cm AR1. :noidea:
Sorry I assumed this frame is AR1. I don't recall the AR FRD ever having red logos. AR1 had red logos.. But I guess I'm wrong? (ok just checked again. I recalled wrong)

For reference, I've owned F1 and F FRD and there was definitely a good chunk of weight difference between the frames (~80g i think? it's been a while sorry) favoring the FRD.

So yeah either this frame is on the +% spectrum of weight or Felt AR frames aren't very accurate on claimed weights. My F1 and F FRD were spot on.

by Weenie

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

This is a very entertaining thread! Love the look of your "wife's" bike.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Red)
2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint (Gold)
2016 Giant Anthem Advanced SX (FS)
2018 Trek Farley EX 9.8 Fatty (FS)
2017 Giant Toughroad (rigid 29er)

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@gurk700 - I think I got the pig of the batch with this 48cm. I was expecting a sub 900 gram frame with the paint stripped off. This weight made me lose immediate interest in the F FRD.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

gurk700

by gurk700

godzuki26 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:48 am
@gurk700 - I think I got the pig of the batch with this 48cm. I was expecting a sub 900 gram frame with the paint stripped off. This weight made me lose immediate interest in the F FRD.
It is very surprising man. Sorry it didn't go as planned. FWIW Felt makes some nice bikes and in my experience they ride beautifully (and look badass) BUT if you're chasing a weight weenie project I can totally understand the frustration! :doh:

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Been busy doing other stuff and have walked away from this project. I ended up getting the Recon Cassette. It is a combo between blue and purple. From different angles, the blue and purple alternate between being dominant. There is gold on this which I was afraid of.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Need a little more splash of purple. Cinelli Milano plugs which are anodized purple.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I really wished I bought this gram scale which measures in hundredths. It is so much more precise. I can see the weight saved by removing the Red decal and sanding the laser etching off the derailluer plate. I am using this scale to tune a Red 11 speed mech deralleur for the wife's Evo as she will be converting from 10 speed to 11 speed.

ImageFelt AR FRD

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

10 and 11 speed SRAM is compatible with eachother.

siim

by siim

godzuki26 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:10 am
Upon closer examination of the "purple" cassette, it has blue teeth and fades into a purple color which I think looks amazing. What I do not like is the core of the cassette is gold. It is also gold from the inside out. Any sign of gold on this build will throw off my entire black and purple theme. Recon's black cassettes also have a gold inner core which will not work. I think for now I will keep the silver cassette and black chain. If I go with a black cassette (wish I had stocked up on Ceradure cassettes when I had the chance) I would need to use a silver chain.
Miche makes black cassettes. They are not as light as Recons but still decent. http://www.miche.it/en/products/strada/ ... imano.html

glepore

by glepore

You need the enve's with purple ck hubs for sale in the classifieds...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Cannondale SS Evo Di2 7970 (5.79); Willier Cento Uno Air Di2 9070 (7.0); C40 Mk2 DA 7800 ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Hi Godzuki

You seem to the bolt wizard. Do you know where to get downtube cable adjuster bolt which is light?

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@campagowlo - For years I have bought my bolts from TorontoCycles. They are the best. Great selection.

@glepore - nice wheels. I'll look into it :thumbup:

ImageFelt AR FRD

Kazyole

by Kazyole

That cassette is almost too cool.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I may want to keep this bike instead of hand it over to the wife. Not sure yet. If I keep it, I will need a 120mm stem. This Ax Lightness Rigid stem is as light as it will get especially with a 31.8 oversize clamp.

ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

In that case, you’ll need to build a new bike for your wife.