Godzuki26's Wife goes aero - Felt AR FRD 48cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KarlC

by KarlC

godzuki26 wrote:I think this mock up looks pretty cool. I think I will need deeper section wheels. Reynolds RZR 92s? What about the Edco Simplon which are 105mm deep?

What wheels are these and what size are they ?

What happen to the Mad Fibers ??
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@KarlC - the wheels above are Reynolds 66 with DT Swiss 180 hubs. They are 66mm deep clinchers. I ran into a problem with the Madfibers. I forgot it has a Campy freehub and this build will be Shimano. The Gen 1 Madfibers use White Industries internals that are not interchangeable between Campy and Shimano.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

godzuki26 wrote:@KarlC - the wheels above are Reynolds 66 with DT Swiss 180 hubs. They are 66mm deep clinchers.

Clinchers ????.... say its not true.

I have a really nice set of Reynolds Aero 58 / 72 Tubulars I am planing to sell if your interested I think they are right at 1300 grams
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@KarlC - thanks Carl. I actually pulled the trigger on the Edco Fluela wheelset. I have always wanted to try Edco out after Paul Lew left Reynolds and went to Edco. In the past Edco was using Blank Reynolds rims but now they have their own molds and use a unique 9K carbon which I think look really nice. I have used Lew and Reynolds for years and love their products. I also like Paul Lew's haircut.

I need to ship my wife off on clinchers because if she flats on tubulars she will be stranded. Of course I will do multiple versions of this build with tubular set ups.

ImageFelt AR FRD

glepore

by glepore

With 11 spd you can run a Campy cassette no problem.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I got the Edco Fluela 85mm wheelset today. The finish on these wheels are beautiful and the surface is super smooth. The decals appear to be baked onto the rims as I feel no steps or bumps when running my fingers across the surface. I do not want to ruin the finish on these rims by removing the decals. However, it is necessary because the red will not match the purple accents I will have on this build.

They are shaped like Reynolds Aero series wheels where the rims taper to a very narrow profile. The brake track also looks like the CTG track used on Reynolds wheels. I do not see Paul Lew's trademark Swirl Lip Generator on these rims. What I do notice is the valve hole has an aero shape to it and is directional which is groovy.

I got some wheel bags which I really do not need.

The directional valve hole is a nice aero detail. I am glad these wheels were "handbuilt by professionals". What ever that is supposed to mean. LOL

Where the hell is the Swirl Lip Generator found on Lew and Reynold's wheels????? It is missing!!

This needs to come off but will I be able to remove it without destroying this beautiful finish?

These wheels make this bike look mean. Some may argue that they are too deep but I like the look of these on this tiny frame

ImageFelt AR FRD

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Don't see these wheels much, they look hot! And have just the matte look that you need for the build.

What bottle cages are you going to use? Have to get them in matte finish too. I hate to see round bottle cages spoiling the look of foil-shaped down tubes, hope you have something good in mind.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The only aero bottle cage that would look ok on this would be the Elite Chrono CX. That is probably what I will go with. Yes I have never seen Edco wheels where I live. Most people around here have never heard of them. Enve, Zipp, Reynolds are the popular wheels where I live. These wheels are clinchers and they feel like boat anchors. I will post some weights when I get a chance. If I want to break 13 lbs, I will need tubulars to make that happen.

ImageFelt AR FRD

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Godzuki the deep reynolds aero (aero 90) didn't have the swirl lip either. The graphics look like they were printed on similar to the reynolds aero rims, so chemicals will remove them effectively.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tomstr

by Tomstr

How on earth did I miss this thread. I have some reading to do!

All the Edco AeroSport's have a similar profile, it works very well from low speed as it closes the airflow leaving the rim at the front contributing to the low-drag design. I'm running to the end of my first season on Aerosport 45's and they have been admirable. I might try the Reynolds blue power pads as I also think the brake surface is the CTg type by Reynolds.

The Reynolds aero have a suprise in them at the rim which is not flush at the spoke holes (a no-no in aerodynamics) and will let in water which is hard to let out. I'm not sure how the weather is where you live but over here on the cobbles or in crosswinds that is a big issue. :)
Ride it like you stole it

RyanH

by RyanH

For the love of everything holy, drop bars please. This is like dressing your wife in a Herve Leger dress and putting sneakers on her. Do you want your wife to be perceived as the special needs person in the group ride?

godzuki26

by godzuki26

My wife makes me wear skinny jeans when we go out even though I don't like them. Lol. I am still deciding on the bars. Honestly I know she will feel uncomfortable on these bars as they are too wide to begin with. The Zipp SL-70 Aero 38cm seem to be the narrowest.

ImageFelt AR FRD

ms6073

by ms6073

What about the new Enve SES Aero road bars? According to Enve, the width of the size 40cm equates to 35cm at the shifters?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The Enve SES is nice but it is heavy. I am looking for a bar 220 grams or lighter.

ImageFelt AR FRD

4151zero

by 4151zero

Nice build, and I can confirm a love for the zipp sl70 aero bars, they are very comfy and compliant, whilst being somewhat light.

Is it possible to hide the red swiss flags with some uber lightweight 'tuned' vinyl similar to what they use to make signs and vehicle wraps with ? Carefully cut in the shape of the graphics, hiding them perfectly ??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com