Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:07 am 

kevosinn wrote:
You are judging paint finish through a cell phone picture but ok. I wont try to change your mind because its made up already about all my really bad finishes but for people wondering all parts are taken from 800-100-1500-2000 grit and cut, polished and buffed.

Now THAT is the good stuff. I have seen Ryan's Evo in person and it looks just like the photos of the Felt do, with a LOT of orange peel. Your custom frames are another story and look flawless.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 am 
in the industry

dudemanppl wrote:
kevosinn wrote:
You are judging paint finish through a cell phone picture but ok. I wont try to change your mind because its made up already about all my really bad finishes but for people wondering all parts are taken from 800-100-1500-2000 grit and cut, polished and buffed.

Now THAT is the good stuff. I have seen Ryan's Evo in person and it looks just like the photos of the Felt do, with a LOT of orange peel. Your custom frames are another story and look flawless.

You do realize Ryan's frame had like 8 grams of clear on it right? It's one coat thick. That bike has zero room for sanding even with the fine grit.

Edit- last I will comment on this. Sorry for derailing godzuki.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm 

@jScycle - Thanks for the suggesstions. I was going to use anodized purple spacers under the stem but was unable to if I keep the FSA SL headset. The red headset sticks out of the head tube about 1mm and a standard dust cover will not cover it completly. It seems you must use the FSA provided conical spacer to cover the bearings. It came in matte so I emded up sanding it and reapplying gloss to it. It makes the whole area look more unified. I do need some more purple up front. I was thinking:

1. Paint the tririg aero cover metallic purple. I saw an English Cycle build do this but with red.
2. Purple handlebar tape. Lizard Skin DSP or a metallic shiny Benotto Cielo tape.
3. Purple anodized bar plugs.

Your thoughts? All of the above or is that too much freaky purple? The purple tririg may be a little overboard.

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:31 pm 

I like the look of subtle hints of purple but you have to be careful not to go too far or else it just looks tacky. I like the idea of the bar plugs but I wouldnt do the aero cover or the bar tape. Little pops here and there is all you need

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 pm 

I agree with AZR3. You should go with purple bar plugs. A little splash of purple is all you need. The bolt for the headset top cap as well maybe?
Looks great keep it up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 pm 

Did the bars get bonded level? From the angle the picture is taken at it looks like they are pointed donwards a degree or two. But maybe it's just because I like my bars up turned quite a lot. :noidea:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:28 am 

@slammed - Yes I had the bars bonded level to keep a minimal profile when looking at the bike from the front. The -17 stem makes it look rotated down maybe.

ImageFelt AR FRD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:31 am 

I have been busy but now have time to finish this build up. I wanted this bike to have purple accents everywhere and the last bit I needed was aluminum segmented housing. The major brands don't make purple (jagwire, iLinks, Nokon, Aican) so I was going to strip some iLinks and have Toronto Cycles anodize them like I did for the pedals. Searching all over the internet, I found some in China and placed an order for 4 meters. They look real nice in the photograph.

ImageFelt AR FRD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 am 

SRAM Etap will finish the build. Since this is an aero build, why not try some oversize pulleys? By getting an oversized pulley set up, I also get a carbon long cage. If I put the original size pulleys on the long cage, I will be able to use a 32 tooth cassette in the future. Ceramicspeed is way over priced so I went with some Chinese knock offs. They are built very nice and the jockey wheels spin forever. I will take about a 20 gram weight penalty but who cares.

ImageFelt AR FRD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 am 

Like all my other stuff, I will debadge the SRAM Red as there is nothing Red on this build. The Digirit logo and the SRAM logo on the rear derailleur came off easily with some acetone. The shift paddle required sanding as well as the carbon levers. I decided not to carve up the levers like I did on the Evo and the Litespeed because holes will cause drag. Lol

ImageFelt AR FRD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 am 

Ceramicspeed is certainly overpriced but you just threw out some performance

https://youtu.be/o7iZVfSDbiA

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 am 

That was a very informative video :thumbup: Kind of reminded me of Monavie from a few years ago. People were spending hundreds of dollars a month on some snake potion with unproven health claims. Ceramicspeed with their claims of free watts using Ceramic bearings with their incredibly over priced items is like the Monavie of the cycling world. And Chinese Ceramic knockoffs are like Bom Dia that was sold at Costco.

ImageFelt AR FRD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 am 

https://youtu.be/UYrU0Xe0Y_g

for the fraction of ceramicspeed price... same applies to BB bearings

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:19 pm 

Be interested to know the weight of the jockey wheels and cage separately. Maybe some room to lighten it a bit ? Nice piece though.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:19 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 pm 

there is also SLF Motion as well, still cheaper than CS and regularly have promotions

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 Next