Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm 

Calnago wrote:
That's nice Brandon, but that yellow backdrop of a wall...

Tommy is the artist here and I trust his eye........ :D

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:37 pm 

MiddMan wrote:
Lovely build and wonderful colour too! How does it ride compared to previous bikes you've owned?

Also, out of curiosity, what were your reasons for using a SRAM cassette, and do you find any issues with the rest of Campy drivetrain?

Forgot to address your question on ride. I think some folks know I worked for Specialized for quite a few years and as such have owned a lot of Tarmac's/Venges/Vias' which all share a geo and have a "racier" feel in comparison to, say, my Colnago EP. The Basso is the middle ground to both of these in the best ways, IMO. The 31.6 post makes for a bit more jarring ride, even with tubbies but its an easy "hands off the bars" ride anywhere which the Spec stuff wasn't always.

I would put it in a similar bucket to my Time RXRS ULTeam as far as a really well balanced bike. It's my go to bike lately for longer weekend rides lately and hasn't missed a beat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:36 pm 

Very nice! That's a looker for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:47 pm 

That's shot straight into my top 5 favourites on the forum!! Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 pm 

We need more Basso bikes on weightweenie! The gray and yellow look great together, and always love a Campy setup, very clean and classy looking ride :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:36 pm 

This would be a little more exciting if Tummy wasn't blasting us with pictures of it every 5 minutes. You may want to look into a restraining order. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:54 pm 

burglarboycie wrote:
That's shot straight into my top 5 favourites on the forum!! Love it.

Whoa! High praise! Massively appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:57 pm 

RyanH wrote:
This would be a little more exciting if Tummy wasn't blasting us with pictures of it every 5 minutes. You may want to look into a restraining order. :wink:

As soon as it was called out here I text Tum Tum and "wtf?!"'d him and then it turned into me being chastised for not having social media.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 am 

wow....love it!!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:41 pm 

nice ride and colorway!

The paint job also conceals the massive headtube...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:58 pm 

Gorgeous, maybe the best I've seen on here

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:32 pm 

Hello,
I'm considering the Astra as one of sorta endurance options due to its more relaxed geometry, thus I'm interested in its comfort quite a bit. Unfortunately it's quite difficult to get to test ride one nearby so I can't make up my opinion from my own experience.
Since You mention a somewhat jarring ride - how do You feel about it being used as an endurance bike? Are You able to make some comparison with such (purely endurance) frames? Sure the wheels & tires (incl. their pressure) will make a bigger difference in ride comfort, but if I want to get something out of the frame as well, I'm not sure the Astra would be a viable option.

As another option I'm mostly considering Bianchi Infinito CV. Both these frames are designed for the the 31,6mm seatpost but I plan to use the 27,2mm shim with the Canyon VCLS seatpost (the first "single-piece" version) so that should help at least a little.

EDIT: One more funny question: Does that fluo yellow paint really produce the fluorescent effect? :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:11 pm 

mag wrote:
Hello,
I'm considering the Astra as one of sorta endurance options due to its more relaxed geometry, thus I'm interested in its comfort quite a bit. Unfortunately it's quite difficult to get to test ride one nearby so I can't make up my opinion from my own experience.
Since You mention a somewhat jarring ride - how do You feel about it being used as an endurance bike? Are You able to make some comparison with such (purely endurance) frames? Sure the wheels & tires (incl. their pressure) will make a bigger difference in ride comfort, but if I want to get something out of the frame as well, I'm not sure the Astra would be a viable option.

As another option I'm mostly considering Bianchi Infinito CV. Both these frames are designed for the the 31,6mm seatpost but I plan to use the 27,2mm shim with the Canyon VCLS seatpost (the first "single-piece" version) so that should help at least a little.

EDIT: One more funny question: Does that fluo yellow paint really produce the fluorescent effect? :)

Before I got to the end of your post I started thinking "not with the 31.6 post" but since I feel most the harshness (and I have to say here that it's not terrible in this regard) is as a result of the seatpost I suppose that would be a good solution.

Overall it's a fantastic frame but I'm not sure I would call it endurance but I get your point with geo.

I'm not sure I fully understand concerning the effect from the paint but it's a very "loud" fluo paint that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 pm 

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am looking at getting my hands on a Basso Astra and in a bit of a quandary as I only want it in the above colourway and while I usually ride a 56 frame, they only have 53s left in the UK (there's a 56 in Italy).

I've run the stack and reach numbers and now I am highly confused:
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/bass ... 7-56cm-22/

The 56 Basso has a higher stack than my Kinesis (which I run slammed) and the 56 and 53 Bassos have roughly the same reach. I was thinking with a setback saddle and longer stem and a couple of spacers I'd be laughing.

I thought the Basso was an aggressive race bike (ok not so much as the Diamante) and to see it seems more relaxed than my Kinesis!?

How did you sort your sizing?

Also - I would love to hear a detailed ride review! There are none online. I think I'll go with the fluro frameset, basso/microtech finishing kit, ultegra R8000 and I have some cheap carbon wheels for now and some zondas for the mountains.

Thank you

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:39 pm 

coriordan wrote:
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am looking at getting my hands on a Basso Astra and in a bit of a quandary as I only want it in the above colourway and while I usually ride a 56 frame, they only have 53s left in the UK (there's a 56 in Italy).

I've run the stack and reach numbers and now I am highly confused:
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/bass ... 7-56cm-22/

The 56 Basso has a higher stack than my Kinesis (which I run slammed) and the 56 and 53 Bassos have roughly the same reach. I was thinking with a setback saddle and longer stem and a couple of spacers I'd be laughing.

I thought the Basso was an aggressive race bike (ok not so much as the Diamante) and to see it seems more relaxed than my Kinesis!?

How did you sort your sizing?

Also - I would love to hear a detailed ride review! There are none online. I think I'll go with the fluro frameset, basso/microtech finishing kit, ultegra R8000 and I have some cheap carbon wheels for now and some zondas for the mountains.

Thank you

I believe this very bike is forsale.