Birthday build: Filament road disc, clincher, 7kg goal

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jever98

by jever98

A big milestone birthday is coming up next year and the new bike itch is rearing its head. So I'm getting started early on my new project.

In the stable at the moment are a road rim brake bike (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=122183&p=1093029&hilit=pasculli#p1093029) and a winter road disc bike (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139342&p=1230964). Being tall (2m) and reasonably heavy (86kg), I am looking to build a road disc bike that comes out roughly at the weight of the Pasculli (~7kg ready to roll), with clinchers and reasonably durable components. I'll be riding it in the Alps, endurance style, so good descending and comfort are important to me.

Frame
I'm going custom again on account of my size and long legs. My geometry is pretty much dialed in. On the list of candidates were Berk, Cryptic, Filament, Sarto and Univer Telai. I looked around for a long time and like a lot of what I have seen with the different builders, so it's not easy to choose. I decided to put my chips with Richard from Filament. My exchanges with him have been a real pleasure: he is responsive, to the point, and I really like how his frames have evolved.

The frame will be a little "non-standard" in that I asked for a hidden seat post clamp, hidden fender mounts (for potential rainy riding), and a lot of slope to have a long exposed seat post for passive dampening. Against current trends I'll go with PF30 to make it possible to use Specialized cranks.

Frame dimensions:

It's tough to make a big frame look good, but I'm pretty pleased with the proportions.

Groupset
Torn between Etap HRD and Dura Ace Hydro. The option of syncro shifting does appeal, and the single battery. On the other hand no wires on ETAP are also nice. Hmmm.

Cranks
Likely Specialized S-Works cranks with a P2M or Quarq

Wheels
Still a bit up in the air. Currently I'm leaning towards CarbonTi hubs with Venn TCD35 rims, which should come out just below 1300g. Bike Ahead Biturbo Road are also an option. I also looked at AX Lightness Ultra, but the Extralite hubs seem like too much trouble for my weight. Tires will be trusted GP4000s in 25 or 28.

Cockpit
Deda Superleggera handlebar - I just love the shape of the RHM. Maybe bonded to a Berk stem or just using a MCFK stem?

Seat post and saddle
Tough one here. Maybe a Berk saddle combo, or a Meld3D with carbon rails and a reasonably light seat post.

That's where the current thinking stands - criticism and suggestions are more than welcome!
Last edited by jever98 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Following this!

I'm also in the process of speaking to builders about a new frame - last one is already gone.

jever98

by jever98

Richard has an OEM fork from Taiwan lined up, with internal routing of the hose, through axle. He will adapt it for the hidden fender mounts.
----

Titusrider

by Titusrider

I think im behind you in the queue :)

Also waiting on a filament road disc before the end of the year

I'm at the other end of the size spectrum, 5'5 and aiming for sub 7kg

My build is gonna be
Hunt 50mm tubeless with shwalbe
Dura ace hydro/mechanical ( I know it's heavy but I'm not charging my bikes)
Bits of ultegra
Rotor 3D+ cranks (possible swap to dura ace at a later date)
Fizik top of the range (r0/00) finishing kit

Saw your bb thread, I'm sticking pf30 I think, Richard seems confident:)

Agonising over paint and going up to see the workshop and finalise details early Nov

jever98

by jever98

@Titusrider: great!

Interesting choices on your build. Mine have evolved a bit (there will be some Schmolke on my bike :-))

The paint question is really difficult. Not sure how I will come up with the final design. I find that really really difficult. Have you got any drafts yet?
----

Titusrider

by Titusrider

I'm trying to limit my color options to simple black and white, matches most of my riding kit and saddle that i am re-using

simple colors but want to go pretty out there on paint job. Will work with Richard on something arty and eye catching hopefully!

jever98

by jever98

:-D - my girlfriend forebade black and white

"you have too many black bikes already, it's too easy" ;-)

Current steeds are black-pink and dark blue-pink. tough to decide...
----

Titusrider

by Titusrider

That your bike on Richards instagram?

Recognised the massive frame!
What's your latest build kit?

Just had my drawings agreed and awaiting a build slot.

Mine looks like it will dip over 7kg in the end but should be around there. Main issue is my preferred bar and stem combo from Fizik is out of stock and not sure what to get instead. I can get some discounts on the 'mainstream' stuff so alternatives likely to be deda or 3t

jever98

by jever98

Yup, it is! Can't wait!

Build kit is pretty much there. Going the wireless route and changed my cockpit and seat post choices towards German boutique parts...

More in the coming weeks hopefully
----

jever98

by jever98

Things are slowly starting to come together:
----

jever98

by jever98

Another bit of awesomeness from Rich:

----

TonyM

by TonyM

What is this green box?

jever98

by jever98

A custom carbon toolbox that I will use instead of a saddle bag. Still to be built
----

TonyM

by TonyM

Nice idea!

How will it be mounted on the bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com