Cipollini RB800

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MiddMan

by MiddMan

As promised, this is the build thread for my Cipollini RB800.

A lot of thought and patience--and some luck--enabled me get the frame and most of the parts this year. I had initially wanted a traditional top tube Colnago C60, and quite frankly I still do; but since I was starting from scratch, I couldn't justify all parts, wheels, etc. on top of the frame price. Secondly, none of the colour schemes really spoke to me. The Art Deco schemes are beautiful but almost a little too subdued for me. Suits are grey or dark blue, cars are usually the same or white or black.. So I prefer a splash of vibrant colour in my bikes.

Anyway, this is not to take away from the Cipollini, as I am 100% in love with it in every way! Merely a round about way of explaining to those on here who know why--despite my love of Colnago--I got a different Made in Italy frame. Without further ado:

Stay tuned for further pictures and thoughts...

by Weenie

themidge

by themidge

This is going to be a good one! :popcorn:
:hello:
Cannondale Supersix 2008 (weight: tbc)
B'twin Triban 540 (weight: :oops: )
Vitus "Benotto" 979 (weight: :? )

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

So nice. Beautiful frame.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Looking for stem and bar suggestions. It’s the last piece I need before I truly start putting it together. I live very far from a LBS so impossible to try in person.

Aesthetics and ergonomics are important. I’m leaning toward Deda as it looks good on a Cipollini. Going to be 120 by 44. Question is:

1) Superleggero / Superleggera combo
2) Superzero stem with Superleggera bars
3) Zero100 stem with Superleggera bars

Good thing about (1) is it’s pretty traditional, so worst case scenario if I decide I don’t like it I can move it to my old Trek and also get rid of 1-2cm of spacers there since I’d have shorter reach compact bars.

(2) might be best look aesthetically since the Seperzero stem is a little bigger and won’t look too svelte on top of an XL frame with large downtube and headtube.