Allez Red Hook

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

theletterk

by theletterk

Just collected this. :)

And I'm starting to worry about creaking sound from the BB as told by some of my friends.

Therefore, I need some advice to prevent creaking sound from you guys before I start work on it.

Going to put in Chorus on it, slammed of cos, 3T aeronova team bar, and my orange astute saddle which should fit nicely with this.

Finishing it with Cinelli Caleido bartape.

But before I start building, should I start to worry about creaking sound? and if yes - how to prevent it! what BB30 adaptor should I use for my setup?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

Can't wait to see this build. I would love to pick one of these up.

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

I just sold my Sprint in sparkle blue - no creaking BB issues to report after a very hard 3500km 8)
Road: Pegoretti MxxxxxO Ciavete
CX: Gellie Custom
Instagram: @titanium_dan

Zac36100

by Zac36100

Hi, Chorus and campy are more "soundy" than Shimano.
I suppose the sound will appear and disappear after the first 1000km ride

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I just used regular park grease when I installed my bottom bracket in my blue allez sprint. No creaks so far. I have a red hook crit frame coming at the end of this month and I'm putting kogel ceramic bearings in that and am using the kogel branded Morgan blue grease as specified by kogel. If you follow Specialized's instruction they want you to use retaining compound on the outsides of the bearings on frames with an aluminum bottom bracket cup whereas they specify grease for OSBB carbon frame bottom brackets. If for whatever reason your bearings happen to creak with grease I would try the retaining compound as specified by Specialized. Also great choice on the cinelli caliedo tape. I am putting the same on mine when it arrives.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If you are going all Chorus, then I would use the Campagnolo cups if they make one for your frame, but I'm not sure which BB shell the Allez is using? Do not use grease, it facilitates movement and can mask creaks for a time but also allows wear to occur against your BB shell. Retaining compound plus primer would be a good choice as recommended. I've also used Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste. It is not a grease but a high adhesion antioxidation compound intended for such applications, as opposed to a grease intended to provide lubrication. You could always go with one of the 3rd party adaptors as well, but I just found that the tolerances of the Campy cups are very very good.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

The Allez Sprint uses a standard BB30 shell

theletterk

by theletterk

Thanks guys for making feel more assured! I hate creaking sound :D
The specialized mechanic (not my regular mechanic) mentioned to me it really depends as sometimes you get away with no sound at all.

My regular mechanic just told me it should be ok with the campagnolo bb30 cups. I will take note of all the information you guys just gave me and hope for 'no sound'.

Thanks again and I'll update with more pics soon!

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Man, can't wait to see the build. In my opinion, one of the best paint schemes out there.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Please no orange saddle. :( It WON'T work. Trust me.

rekhyt

by rekhyt

theletterk

by theletterk

dudemanppl wrote:Please no orange saddle. :( It WON'T work. Trust me.

The astute is the one with black top and orange at the underneath. I wouldn't dare to use all orange :D

But I can mix and match. Got a few saddles to play with and hopefully I get this right.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

theletterk wrote:Thanks guys for making feel more assured! I hate creaking sound :D
The specialized mechanic (not my regular mechanic) mentioned to me it really depends as sometimes you get away with no sound at all.

My regular mechanic just told me it should be ok with the campagnolo bb30 cups. I will take note of all the information you guys just gave me and hope for 'no sound'.

Thanks again and I'll update with more pics soon!

Well then, if you can get the Campy cups, then go that way. But use the Loctite 609 retaining compound and Loctite 7649 Primer. Use the proper drifts/press to get them perfectly aligned in the shell. Do it once, do it right.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theletterk

by theletterk

*update - feel that the reach of the 3T bar is a little too long. will change to S-works aerofly and fine tune it after. Weight of the bike is 7.05 as of now(4cm of seat post has been chopped off)

slight change of plan with the bike.

Went with record instead of chorus as LBS has no stock for crank and shifter. Gave me a really good price for record and I took it.

Cinelli bar tape has not arrived so I used a cheap bar tape for now.

He was confident with the setup esp the BB. Said creaking sound should not happen and from now I have my fingers crossed.

I have to fine tune some stuff as this is my first 3Taerobar and I find the reach is longer than usual. Will see how it goes but I should be able to adjust myself to fit :D

Here are some pics. It was a really hot day to take these pics!

I've not tried the bike yet!!

(Can't tell the brand unless you know what model this is)

Last edited by theletterk on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.