We took a tough decision, locked gallery threads.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

moonoi

by moonoi

So if this is the policy, why is the Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread still open, or the Allez 2017 thread? What is the difference of these threads from the locked ones?

Whilst I agree that the mods in general do a good and thankless task, I have to say this is one of the most stupidest reasons for closing threads I've ever come across and is not likely to have the desired result.

+1 to requesting the mods reconsider and reopen those gallery threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look565w

by Look565w

Nothing more to add other than I along with almost everyone who posted before - Mod. please reconsider this decision/action & if it's a vote on this issue, then I'm definetly all for "unlocking" these threads & leave it as it was!

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

MattN wrote:My bikes are not, imo worthy of their own build thread, but I did post them in the brand specific threads, mainly the Colnago one as I own 3 of them.

I've just completed a new build, a CLX, I would've posted it up in the Colnago thread but I won't be making a specific thread for it as I built it up in a day and just wanted to take some photos of it complete, not much point in a specific thread for a couple of completed build pictures is there?

It would've slotted nicely into the brand thread though.

So basically the new shitty policy detracts you from posting it in the beautiful Colnago thread. Great work mods and admins, really great.

moonoi wrote:So if this is the policy, why is the Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread still open, or the Allez 2017 thread? What is the difference of these threads from the locked ones?

Whilst I agree that the mods in general do a good and thankless task, I have to say this is one of the most stupidest reasons for closing threads I've ever come across and is not likely to have the desired result.

+1 to requesting the mods reconsider and reopen those gallery threads

+2

Stoo

by Stoo

Still no Mod response?

Weight Weenies, the new North Korea.
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

PSM

by PSM

Stoo wrote:Still no Mod response?

Exactly...

53x12

by 53x12

Stoo wrote:Still no Mod response?

Crickets tells you all you need to know.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

drpleiades

by drpleiades

I had wondered what happened to the TT thread, personally my bike had already been built before coming on here so there wasn't a "build photo, with weight etc"
It's to go to one thread and look at all the other bikes, I would then go to their individual threads to see details.
Now you have to what search and then browse tons of just individual threads that may or may not pertain. bummer

kgt

by kgt

Mods could just lock the threads without opening a new thread about it. I cannot see the point since they prefer to ignore us...

beepbeep

by beepbeep

Like MattN I was looking forward to posting a newly built Colnago in the Colnago thread, and like MattN I don't think it's unique enough to start it's own thread. Oh well...

Aren't we all just bike nerds who enjoy looking at pictures sometimes? I agree, if it's a particularly interesting build/bike/project then yes I'd read a 10 page thread on it, but please let us have a choice on how we post and view bikes.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I think this is a mistake. Many of us are thinking about a new bike and simply being able to look at a thread for Firefly's or Seven's makes things much easier.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

rpowell

by rpowell

im curious if there is a way to quantatatively evaluate if interaction has improved in the couple weeks since this decision was made. do we now have more individual build threads or has there been a drop in posts? im not saying this is the right way to analyze the data but if the desire was to increase site interaction then we should be able to see if that desired outcome is achieved.
my other thought is to blame ryanh for such great build threads.

mrgray

by mrgray

still no reply from admin/mods about this? i hope we can keep this thread alive because this decision continues to rankle.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

DOUG

by DOUG

rpowell wrote:im curious if there is a way to quantatatively evaluate if interaction has improved in the couple weeks since this decision was made. do we now have more individual build threads or has there been a drop in posts? im not saying this is the right way to analyze the data but if the desire was to increase site interaction then we should be able to see if that desired outcome is achieved.
my other thought is to blame ryanh for such great build threads.

They would certainly have the ability to see any changes in traffic to the site. Anecdotally posting rates look to be down quite a bit, even in the cycling chat part of the forum.

Personally I came here for the catch-all threads and then stayed for the build threads. I like the build threads of course but they can get pretty tedious, especially once a build is completed. Instagram is popular with cyclists for a reason, people love photos with a caption and bit of detail about the bike and/or rider. The best part about forums like this is the ability to provide the image based content alongside the more detail oriented stuff; what a shame that the mods/admin have decided to kill off one of the most popular parts of that community.

The funny thing is its not just new users like me that are saying this, its guys and girls that have been around here for many years and put up a large number of very detailed build threads that are saying the same thing. Its just such a weird decision and the utter silence after some fairly constructive criticism is somewhat deafening.

NoBlink

by NoBlink

Do we have to start a petition or something[emoji28]? One of the main reasons I joined this forum was because of the gallery threads. Getting inspiration for updating and tuning my Colnago and drooling over the TI thread.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

I'm not really sure what is a "win" for the change? If a lot of people who previously just added a few photos and minimal build info to the combined thread now all start their own thread for their own bike, with a few photos and minimal info, is that really better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com