2017 S-Works Epic HT Single speed.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Wren makes a cheap light stem as well in -17.

What tires are you running? That alone can add up really fast.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Hey Yep, Kalloy stem was ordered a few weeks ago and I'm about to order some Ashima Rotors. Does anyone know someone who's ridden the Mt Zoom bars? I really need stiff bars because of the Single Speed thing and I'm swinging on them pretty hard when it's full gas. The bars I put back on are a BBB bar that's alloy with a carbon too layer. They are like a steel I-Beam, but they are only 580mm wide.

Was tempted to try the S-Works Prowess XC bar but I've never met a serious racer that's used them. Likely good is next big upgrade will either be a Berk combo or Brakeset or pedals.

KWalker wrote:Wren makes a cheap light stem as well in -17.

What tires are you running? That alone can add up really fast.

Pictured is S-Works Renegades in 29x2.0. I think I mentioned most of the winter and early summer racing in NZ is long 4wd drive roads where you don't any knobbles on the tyre. If there's corners involved I'll use S-Works Fast Tracks in 29x2.1. Best tyres I've ever ridden, but am always open to new suggestions.

Any other weight tips feel free to throw them out there, pro pics getting done of the bike tomorrow so I'll put them up as soon as possible.
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Pic Dump! :beerchug:

Pretty happy with the result. had one wee hiccup on the bikes maiden race, but ill address that in another post. :beerchug:

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Love it!!!

Fastskiguy

by Fastskiguy

burglarboycie wrote:Love it!!!

Yeah no kidding, that's freaking awesome!

whyamihere

by whyamihere

weeracerweenie wrote:Does anyone know someone who's ridden the Mt Zoom bars? I really need stiff bars because of the Single Speed thing and I'm swinging on them pretty hard when it's full gas.

I've got the Mt Zoom bar. Only had a chance to ride the bike with it fitted a couple of times so far, but I've not noticed any lack of stiffness. There's a small amount of flex when trying to make it move when not riding, but it's fitted into a Kalloy Uno stem, which is about as stiff as a damp paper towel, and I put most of the flex down to that.

Loving the bike by the way.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Me too!

Fastskiguy wrote:

Yeah no kidding, that's freaking awesome!

:beerchug:

whyamihere wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:Does anyone know someone who's ridden the Mt Zoom bars? I really need stiff bars because of the Single Speed thing and I'm swinging on them pretty hard when it's full gas.

I've got the Mt Zoom bar. Only had a chance to ride the bike with it fitted a couple of times so far, but I've not noticed any lack of stiffness. There's a small amount of flex when trying to make it move when not riding, but it's fitted into a Kalloy Uno stem, which is about as stiff as a damp paper towel, and I put most of the flex down to that.

Loving the bike by the way.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the S-Works bar, undecided yet however

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

So eagle eye viewers may have seen that the Extralite bars arent on the bike in any pictures here. Heres why:

I had only ridden the bike 4 times before its first event, the bars i had noted as being really quite flexible. Theres no doubt the Extralite bars are fantastically made, absolutely beautiful too, im defiantely not bagging the brand.

The event started on a big 4wd track, mass start, i kicked off did two pedal strokes seated then stood up to wack into some pace and the front of the stem tore away and i (whilst still holding the bars) supermanned into the ground. Garmin file says i made it 30m. Now im not entirely sure why the stem shit itself, my guess is that the bolts had fatigued, through alot of riding and being undone and done up multiple times. Again, not bagging Thomson, they are one of my favourite brands, have been for a long time. It appearsi ripped the top bolt out of the stem, bent the faceplate down and then snapped the bottom bolt, all in very quick succession, and the rest is an embarassing story id prefer not to repeat.

You can see from the photo how out of shape the face plate is relitive to the body of the stem, its well and truely bent. I replaced the stem with an UNO, in the hope that 4 bolts solve the issue, save a little weight doing it too. Ill reconsider that stem in a few weeks after some more riding, as its defiantely less stiff than the thomson. Ideally Berk / MCFK / Extralite / Wert or someone similar produce a stem under 150gm thats long (130mm+) and stiff, because ill buy that in a heartbeat.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Ashima Ai2 Rotors recently been installed, was severely skeptical on the performance of them until id ridden them for about a week. although they do have a noticeable "Turkey Gobble" feel to them, once bedded in, they perform much the same as the HSX Avid rotors that were on the bike to begin with. at 73gm a piece they save spot on 50gm on the bike which is a great wee saving considering the cost of them, which is extremely reasonable.

Next up ill try another set of bars, either the MCFK, or the new S-Works Prowess XC bar. Then ill see if the budget allows for a Berk Combo

serious1

by serious1

Any update now that you've had the bike a while? Hows the bottom bracket holding up?

Dtothjr

by Dtothjr

Any update on the longevity? Curious if you’ve had any issues with the ebb and the frame?

Thanks

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

serious1 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:36 am
Any update now that you've had the bike a while? Hows the bottom bracket holding up?
honestly? BB is bloody fantastic, i did absolutely destroy one a few months back doing some max power efforts, but i think that was more a case of a quick adjustment i did to it before riding. the replacement one through warranty is bloody good, never drops chain tension. the bikes currently set up geared as ive been relitively sick lately and need the gears to get myself back into riding comfortably again.
Dtothjr wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:06 am

Any update on the longevity? Curious if you’ve had any issues with the ebb and the frame?

Thanks
Issues with it? nah, by far the best riding frame and ECBB combo ive ever had, and ive had a few. The frame still looks like new as well whuch is nice for a change.