Cervelo R2 - Hill Climb Project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

JLS

by JLS

After recently getting a Fondriest carbon frame i have been spoilt for choice for a daily bike so have decided to strip my summer bike and build it into a hill climb bike.

So far i have nearly finished stripping all the paint from the frame over the past month.

I will be running a single chainring most likely a 39t with a 11-28 cassette.

Build list so far:

(will update with photos and weights)
Frame+Fork: Cervelo R2
Handle Bars: 38cm s-works women shallow-bend carbon
Stem: Kalloy Uno
Bar Tape: Lizard skins race (when competing will remove bartape)
Bar Plugs: Undecided
Garmin Mount: Raceware
Shifters: Sram Red 11speed (could possibly strip out one of the shifters as i am running single ring)
Rear Derailleur: Sram Red 11 speed
Front Derailleur: None
Brakes: Sram Red aero link (thinking of getting some planetx or kcnc c7)
Crankset: Rotor 3D Undecided
Chain Ring: Undecided
Seat Post: Carbonice
Seat clamp: mtzoom
Saddle: Undecided
Headset:
Expander:
Topcap:
Bottle Cage: Undecided
Skewers: Undecided
Chain: KMC dlc
Shift Cables: alligator ilink
Brake Cables: alligator ilink
Pedals: ultralite pedals
Wheels: Undecided

I currently have a Rotor 3D crankset but want to run a power meter i use powertap p1 pedals on my fondriest and TT bike but want to use the ultralite pedals on the hill climb bike.

Any suggestions for a light power meter crankset that works with bbright bottom bracket that i can run a single chainring?

Some images below:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

Just curious, what is the frame weight, bare w/o hardware?

JLS

by JLS

em3 wrote:Just curious, what is the frame weight, bare w/o hardware?

Still got a bit more sanding to do may try and finish it next weekend if its sunny.

BmanX

by BmanX

I like this project. If you really want to make it a true 1x I say gut the shifters and do anything else you can do to reduce weight. You can remover the FD mount by drilling out the rivets and the bonding is not bad. I did this on my Cervelo P2 as I am running this 1x for triathlons. If I want to mount the FD again I can just do new rivets and bond it on again.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

istigatrice

by istigatrice

With the bar tape I'd recommend (skate board) grip tape - then you've got grip without having to remove the bartape. Apply to the tops and drops and the weight should be negligible. Then you don't need to remove the tape for the races and you can train with the 'same' bartape.

I've seen some pretty light bar ends made with the bar ends deda supply with their bar tape. Not sure what they've done but it looks like they've cut out the center section and sanded for a smooth finish.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

JLS

by JLS

BmanX wrote:I like this project. If you really want to make it a true 1x I say gut the shifters and do anything else you can do to reduce weight. You can remover the FD mount by drilling out the rivets and the bonding is not bad. I did this on my Cervelo P2 as I am running this 1x for triathlons. If I want to mount the FD again I can just do new rivets and bond it on again.

Yer i think i will strip out the shifter or possibly use a different brake leaver for one of the shifters.
I am tempted to remove the FD mount but it is a tiny bit past my ability and comfort levels ;)

istigatrice wrote:With the bar tape I'd recommend (skate board) grip tape - then you've got grip without having to remove the bartape. Apply to the tops and drops and the weight should be negligible. Then you don't need to remove the tape for the races and you can train with the 'same' bartape.

I've seen some pretty light bar ends made with the bar ends deda supply with their bar tape. Not sure what they've done but it looks like they've cut out the center section and sanded for a smooth finish.

Those are some good ideas the nearest hill is about 40 mins ride away though so my hands would not be too happy. I will have to try it out though will be good for competing. I have some deda bar ends will have to tune some.

Cheers.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

everyone is different, but I can't imagine it being too bad. IIRC most (modern) hour record and TT bikes use grip tape. If you don't like it you can just wrap over it/remove it.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

BmanX

by BmanX

Yer i think i will strip out the shifter or possibly use a different brake leaver for one of the shifters.
I am tempted to remove the FD mount but it is a tiny bit past my ability and comfort levels ;)

I though the same but with a "HOPE AND A PRY" I took a chance and it popped off with a little extra muscle. I figured that since the frame was old and I was going 1x anyways, what was the worst that could happen. lol.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

JLS

by JLS

BmanX wrote:

I though the same but with a "HOPE AND A PRY" I took a chance and it popped off with a little extra muscle. I figured that since the frame was old and I was going 1x anyways, what was the worst that could happen. lol.

I think i will give it a go did you not use a drill?

Also i dont suppose you weighed the front derailleur hanger would be interesting to know how much weight was saved.

BmanX

by BmanX

I used a small drill bit to drill out he center of each rivet and then went a little bigger until they were removed. I did have to get the back parts of the rivets out of the frame but that was easy. Once they were removed that was the scary part. I started to pry on the hanger and then a little more, then a lot more and I heard cracking. I thought I screwed it up. At that point I figured it was buggered anyways so pry a little harder and it popped right off. All was OK.

I do have the hanger at home so I can weigh it later. For me it was not about the weight of the hanger but more about the aerodynamics of the hanger which is massive compared to not having it on the bike. So this was more about AERO than LIGHT.

I will weigh it for you later and I would guess we are around ~15g-20g max.

I will be going 1x on my English frame shortly but for that I have to keep the hanger on and will use the GnarWolf Chain Guide but tuned.

BIG DADDY B FLOW

JLS

by JLS

After breaking my hip and having surgery a couple of months ago i am finaly back on the bike which does mean i wont be competing in this years hill climb season.

I have finaly started to make more progress on the build which will be used next season now.
    took a long time to sand down the frame but it looks great just a shame it is not the lightest frame.
    I got the dremel out on the rear derailluer while watching the Vuelta which was fun.
    I will be running a single 39t up front not sure what casette range i will be using yet.
    Left shifter has been gutted of mechanical parts and is just the brake lever.

Just a few things i need to get:
    39t Single ring FibreLyte.
    Some bolts could be replaced.
    Tubular wheels (i am thinking of getting some built with extralite hubs)

Any suggestions on rims to go with extralite hubs.

Some pics below.

peterjongold

by peterjongold

Did this project get finished? What was the final weight?
I have found myself in a similar situation and wonder if it is worth converting the r2 to a hill climb bike or I should just sell the complete bike as it is and buy a lighter frame. What size was this frame?
First post so sorry about all the questions but all advice appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

looking good. lots of work though