Scott Scale Premium 26er - Updated to New 650b Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

poynt

by poynt

Hope so, but that is a big difference, between two supposedly similar frames. How much would the cups be, 30g at most? Which still means a smaller frame weighing 50+g more than the bigger one.

poynt

by poynt

so here is a parts list as it is with possible upgrades.

FRAME: 2012 SCOTT SCALE PREMIUM SIZE M. SANDED TO RAW CARBON WITH GLOSS DECALS AND WAXED. Rear brake hose run internally from headtube to bb. replaced with small Scale SL frame
STEM: LYTI 70MM. replaced with black Ti bolts
TOPCAP: EXTRAITE HYPERCAP
HEADSET EXPANDER: EXTRALITE ULTRASTAR 3
HEADSET : EXTRALITE ULTRATOP/BTM 44/55 INCL 1 1/8 ADAPTER
HANDLEBAR: DARIMO 6°
SHIFTERS: SHIMANO XTR980. BOLT TUNED.. hope to adapt a sram/formula matchmaker.
BRAKES: FORMULA R1RACING
ROTORS: ALPHA CARBON LT 160MM trying out new version
BRAKE HOUSINGS: FORMULA BLACK.. final lengths and weight TBA once routing and frame are finalised.
FRONT SHIFT CABLE: POWERCORDZ
HOUSING: ALLIGATOR ILINK BLACK with black liner
BOTTLE BOLTS: TIDS
SADDLE: MILEBA PROPO
SEATPOST: DARIMO 27.2 X 250MM
SEATCLAMP: YUNIPER 38.2MM
REAR DERAILLEUR: XTR M980 tuned with red alu bolts and carbon cage, further machining on deraileur to come
CASSETTE: KCNC TITANIUM 11-34T
CRANKSET: LIGHTNING 175MM SANDED MATTE
CHAINRINGS: GARBARUK DM OVAL MELON 32T.. possibly change to carbondirect mount ring, if I can find someone to make one
PEDALS: CRANK BROTHERS 4TI upgraded with alu sleeves and Ti springs
CHAIN: PYC DLC black chain
PULLEYS: EXTRALITE 11T may upgrade to full ceramic narrow wide
RIMS: STANS PODIUM MMX 32H 26"
HUBS: TUNE PRINCE/PRINCESS SKYLINE
SPOKES: SAPIM SUPERSPOKES BLACK
TIRES: MAXXIS MAXLITES 285
TUBES: SCHWALBE EVO
SKEWERS: HEYLIGHT....upgrade to Tune Skylines
GRIPS: EXTRALITE HYPER GRIPS

**SUSPENSION FORK: MODIFIED SID WC, Modified, sanded lower legs with remade MMM-Bikes carbon damper units, carbon caps, nylon bolts... ongoing!

TARGET WEIGHT 5732g** may go up or down depending on forks and upgrades
BUDGET under £2.5 -3k
Last edited by poynt on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

5732g!!!! Wow!!! I have a Scott Scale 26 and I am not even close to that weight. I like your choice of the Podium MMX rims. I had the Ax Lightness tubular wheels and my Podium MMX wheels with Extralite hubs were lighter and less expensive.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

poynt

by poynt

I have managed to get most of my bits as NOS or mint online as I couldn't have afforded a lot of the nicer parts if they had been the normal new price. So for a set of new Tune podium wheels for under 600 was manageable and they're the most I have spent on any single item in the build, yes I would have liked the Extralites but were only 20g less but a lot more money.

poynt

by poynt

Threw it on the scales to see if progress was on course, this is without the fork internals etc but otherwise everything else is on there, uncut brake hoses though.

Last edited by poynt on Sun May 28, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Looks nice,and its very light. Keep going with that.

poynt

by poynt

Decided that the small Premium frame was just too heavy to achieve the target weight, ie: lighter than the medium (816g) I already have, so got rid of it and so now the rebuild is on hold until I can find another small rc or sl frame. Wouldn't mind moving up to a 700 but then I'd have to get new wheels as well or at least rebuild with new rims and fork. ££££ :shock:

poynt

by poynt

Until I can get a new frame sorted I will have to start on some of the smaller parts and start tweaking them. I have some Ti/alu parts for the R1r's, maybe some moding on the rear mech & front shifter and also would like some advice as to whether it would be possible to get a carbon directmount chainring or even a 4hole 76bcd ring made. I asked Fibre-lyte but they couldn't do a threaded XX1 style ring and don't have any of the new dm ring patterns on file. If carbon is no good then whats left that is lighter than a 57g dm ring. Carbon-Ti do a 14g spider and Extralite do a 28-30g ring(only in 104bcd) so it must be possible to get a 76 in same or less. Saving 15g+ must be possible?
I looked at some new forks and only the Fox SC32 looks good but is 27.5 but is at a good price online at the mo but as I said before would mean I'd have to change rims/rebuild wheels and alow for a 650b frame.

poynt

by poynt

Back at it with another NOS Scale. Finally got a small size with a pretty good starting weight of 870g (no hanger or collar bolt) and have managed to get it down to 782g waxed, so nearly 90g saved. I tried not to go too mad or deep and managed not to expose any fibres in the areas of most filler around the joints, still had some of the random coloured filler in some areas.
I sanded my cranks to match the bare carbon look of the rest of parts and they look nicer and saved 4g, (400g incl ring) So apart from a few small parts still needed, I can rebuild it with most of the parts from the original Premium.

Having moved onto giving 650b a try I have some Fox 32sc's to play around with, (no stripping but a redecal and air caps) As others have tried the Shift-Up cartridge upgrade I thought I would give the NDTuned version a try just to compare to others and see if the weight benefits are OK on the ride. Hope to be around 1190g's or less. Also got some reasonably light/cheap Tune wheels as well at 1040g, old and a bit narrow for some these days but 1/3 of the cost of new fancy set. Maybe one day I might get around to Extralites and maybe even some Berd spokes! :lol:

poynt

by poynt

well nearly there, just got to get the forks tuned up, new cartridge, some aircaps etc, change the chain to a more stealthy black and would still prefer to change the Darimo to a larger 31.6 as this one from my old Dale build just doesn't look right and reduce the heavy shim.

This is the baseline configeration that I will go back and add some more robust parts as needed and as time and $$ allows obviously some upgrades as appropriate.

Present **weight as is: 5894g
**incl upcoming fox upgrades

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Time to get the new seatpost lock assembly for an 8g saving. KA Engineering chainring is ~10g lighter than Garbaruk.

poynt

by poynt

oh there are plenty of new things I already have and are planned. Forks already partially updated with NDTuned parts, 1190g, new wheels coming with Extralites ceramic upgrades and Chinese rims & Pillars, 835g, new Darimo post 70g TBA. KA ring is same weight for a 32t oval s-works.

scant

by scant

any updates? I was in devon friday & saturday :)