Scott Scale Premium 26er - Updated to New 650b Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

poynt

by poynt

A while ago I decided to dig out my nice little scandium HT which had been sitting in the garage for yrs and see if I could update it. It was very retro for these days, v-brake 26 incher. I updated a few parts, built up several sets of old/new Tune wheels and at the very last minute I looked at it and decided I wanted a lighter frame, carbon would be just the job.
If I did! it would mean going disc and that would mean a whole load of upgrades.
So the Scandi was stripped and parts sold off and then I had to find a cheap 26" carbon frame. I started with a Cannondale Flash hi-mod, stripped it, got rid of guides and f/m hanger etc and got it resprayed matt/gloss black. (ended up at 968g) It was nice but still not WW light enough and had a few heavier than I liked parts Canno h/s etc. I ended up looking for a Scale frame and finally found a mint Premium in medium cheap. I fully stripped this one, incl cable guide removal and re-routing of the rear brake internally, new decals, waxed finish and dropped 150g over the Flash and came in at a respectable 816g.

Now that I have proved the concept I plan on getting a NOS Scale RC in a small which is what I really needed but could never find online before and see if I can get it down to the 5.6kg goal I had originally for the Premium. I am small and lightweight so haven't seen the need to go 29er so far.

What follows is a brief show of the parts used, and I will try and do a more thorough "in progress build up" when I get the RC.
I have tried to use NOS or mint used parts as much as possible and only used new parts as really needed as these were cost limited builds. Some parts will get replaced and further tuning of some of the smaller parts will continue, ie: brakes and chainrings..
Last edited by poynt on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poynt

by poynt

some pics of the Premium as I got it, before and after striping, built up and the new RC frame, not weighed or stripped yet and most of the parts on a scale.

And yes I will be changing the dodgy carbon rotors, got mine early on before anyone else had tested them! :oops:

Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

poynt

by poynt

As to the forks, they are a work in progress, various lowers have been tuned, striped and repainted and a few steerers to be sanded and cut to length. Also waiting on some new/old tuned internal parts and will have a a few sets of forks with and without lockout. When all the WW stuff is down to an exceptable goal I will no doubt fit some more modern and robust forks.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Any updates? Can you post some details on your fork tuning? We need more mountain bike stuff on here! I love what you have done so far.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

poynt

by poynt

I know this all a bit old school and retro for most people on here ie: 26", flimsey, undersized tubes etc, but as I started it ages ago I thought I would try and finish it at least. Onced finished I would love to do similar to a more modern fork, I suppose what Shift-Up is doing is the nearest.

Anyway as I had a few old Sid WC's sitting in the garage, I had already back in '06 done a single leg conversion using parts from several forks. So now I am reusing and moding some of the old carbon internals that mmm-bikes produced ages ago.

The carbon steerers are to be sanded matt to match the existing bare/matt carbon of the rest of the bike. I had a load of old Sid lowers that I have stripped, sanded and removed the old cantistuds. I will replace the old bushings and seals as needed but have not removed excessive amounts from the bridge and dropouts so are they should still be as robust and usable as originally. I have reprayed a couple matt black with gloss decals to match the frame.

As to the internals, I will replace the alu/plastic screw in cap with a carbon one, nylon bolts/nuts and the SID damper unit has been stripped and the has carbon tubes instead of the alu originals.

Previous complete forks, canti removed and resprayed by paint shop! (obviously they didn't bother to strip and only painted over the old silver paint! My stripped lowers, notice that some lowers were lighter than others, I had to weigh all of my 15 sets to find the lightest and stripped those. Then a minimal matt black coating and decals and ended up saving nearly 90g over the previously modified and sprayed lowers.

Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

As to the internals, this is a joint project with another member who has loads of the original mmm parts and we trying to make up as many fork kits as possible. Hope to have a ultra lite dual damper set and also one with the modified lockout as well. Should be between the mid 950gs to maybe 1100g for both versions.

here's the alu damper unit and the pieces that need the carbon tubes to make up the single legged dual air/oil unit, the carbon caps and a moded dual air damper for the lockout side.

Image Image Image

grover

by grover

awesome work! Look forward to seeing the finished project. Any interest in selling your medium frame?

poynt

by poynt

Quick update, still slow progress with the forks unfortunately , I have all my parts but still waiting for the updated internals. Due to being made redundant recently I had to sell my RC frame as I am having to set up a new workshop as I'm now self employed. I have managed to find another cheapish Scale Premium in small so hope that it will be as lite or lighter than my present medium once I strip it.
Is there any difference between the RC and Prem' weight wise? I know the SL was the lightest in the range.
At least I'll save some $ on not having to change BB so I can put that towards upgrading some other parts, like a Fibre-lyte chainring and new carbon x-spider, I'm still only interested in 20-50g gains minimum at a time before I get into shaving single grams on all the little pieces.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Wait a minute, you got 15 Sid forks?! That is the craziest thing I've read in a while, in a good way haha! :beerchug:

Sizzler

by Sizzler

So, serious question and please don't take any offense because I like what you've done, but considering your tires and other WW parts somewhat limit this to fairly tame mtb riding, why not just go with a rigid carbon fork and drop another 500g?

poynt

by poynt

Gullholm wrote:Wait a minute, you got 15 Sid forks?! That is the craziest thing I've read in a while, in a good way haha! :beerchug:

not forks, just lowers, got a load cheap to play around with and I only have 3 sets of carbon steerers left. You have to see Hawkpowers man cave to really see fork madness.

As to riding rigids I had some on my winter comuter bike and I ride 26er as it suits me size and weight, and I didn't at the time I started the original build have the $$ to replace all my wheelsets. The forks are a left over project from agesee if I can get something newer.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Okay that now that is truly crazy. :lol: :beerchug:
I'm pretty sure by the way that the RC and the Premium is the same frame, most years they shared a lot except for the Premium having some nicer parts and mostly a Shimano spec.

poynt

by poynt

Gullholm wrote:Okay that now that is truly crazy. :lol: :beerchug:
I'm pretty sure by the way that the RC and the Premium is the same frame, most years they shared a lot except for the Premium having some nicer parts and mostly a Shimano spec.

Just received my new Premium and so far, minus the headset cups which I haven't removed yet, I removed everything else and the frame weighs 974g. My medium weighed 892g fully striped, so either the small frame has a hell of a lot more paint than my previous one or that is a dam heavy set of h/s cups.

So much for reducing weight :noidea:

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

You are Si(ck)d :)

poynt

by poynt

bikemaniack wrote:You are Si(ck)d :)

True, guess I will have to sand the hell out of it and do all the mods as before if I want to get anywhere near my sub 800g target. I might also do more work on the medium first and see if I can get that one as I want it.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Have faith :thumbup: It is the thick ass paint.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com