Trek Madone 5.5 SL Project - Lance on Campagnolo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Campagnolo Overtorque Comp One chainset 595 grams not including the BSA cups. Love the stiffness and design. However, I was annoyed that the campagnolo left crank tool to install has broken. The thread on it has sheared. Luckily it caused no complication on install and I wasn't putting much torque down, the second time I have used it. Will try and claim a replacement.
Attachments
20170507_160949.jpg
20170507_160816.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Look Keo Ti pedals - 94 grams left and 94 grams right. I love these pedals. They are light and truly fit and forget.
Attachments
20170507_160824.jpg
20170507_161004.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Campagnolo Athena brake calipers with bontrager cork pads. I wanted the Super Record RS brake calipers, but will need to wait until later in the summer as I haven't got the cash at the moment. Cork pads are for my Bontrager XXX-Lite Tubular wheels (pics to follow tomorrow!). That's my picture update for tonight done. Sorry for the crap picures but I hope it has given everyone a flavour of the build!
Attachments
20170507_134449.jpg
20170507_134551.jpg

rossjm11

by rossjm11

very cool so far! I like the idea of black with pink logos... especially if you could put some on the wheels as well. I know Campy Shamals of the general time period had pink logos that might look quite nice. Pink with black logos would also be great. Tough choice
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

Madone69

by Madone69

:thumbup:
Last edited by Madone69 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

campagowlo wrote:...pics to follow tomorrow!...

Speaking on behalf of many forum members, we're eager to see the parts hung on your Madone. Let's see the finished product!

My first road bike was a 2009 5.2 Madone and my eyes get a little teary when I see first-gen Madones lovingly brought back to life.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

The rear dropout is a bit dodgy. I'm going to sort this out with a framesaver bolt. Im keen to get Kevosinn to strip the paint, clear coat it and paint some logos on it. Thoughts? I'm heading to Ventoux next weekend so will use the Bertoletti. I'm hoping the Trek will be ready for my week long stay on the Allos in August.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I've got the frame and forks boxed up ready to send to the US for Kevosinn to strip it, clear coat and paint some pink logos on it. It is going to look sharp.

I think a black tune headset will look better than a Chris King of Cane Creek, any other ideas?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Consider changing that choice of left hand brake lever. The shapes between that and the Campy are too different. I could never get them to match up in a similar combo I once had and eventually scraped it for a Cane Creek left hand brake lever, which was super.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

This build is back online. The gear dropout needs a framesaver bolt which is being done by a local builder. Originally I wanted Kevosinn to strip and clearcoat it. Unfortunately the shipping costs are extortionate so I am hand sanding it. 5 hrs in and the decals and most of the clear coat is off. How do I know when to stop. The paint layer seems thin with no primer. I've started with 100 grit and now moving to 400. I think I will go with a Tune pink headset, pink parts of passion spacer and cassette lockring and pink kcnc inner cables. The rest will be stealth black possibly with black on black decals or no decals. Please chip in with thoughts.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If I were doing this... I'd go black-on-black with a candy pearl paint. This will mask some of the carbon features, but really preserve them to the careful eye. The more coats you apply, the darker the paint will go and the harder it will be for the carbon to be visible. I think 2 or 3 coats will do the trick, with the Trek decals placed after the first coat.

Timo

by Timo

campagowlo wrote:OEM Left hand side brake lever. I have looked for a while for a Campagnolo Record Brake Lever like Timo's. The only pair I have seen were too expensive for the build, but I will continue to look.

I think your best option is sourcing a (used) left hand Ergopower lever. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the shifting mechanism and that leaves you with a lever that is similar to mine (all that would be missing is a tiny plastic insert that covers the hole where the mechanism was but that has no function other than aesthetics)
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Thanks Timo - I may well do this with my current left ergo lever if I like using the downtube lever. On the lookout for a btp down tube lever. I will carry on sanding tonight!

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I can't decide between a Chris King headset and a Tune bubu. Any thoughts? The tune saves around 35 grams but I don't want to he constantly adjusting the headset. Is the tune a bit finicky?

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I've used 100 grit and 400 grit on most parts of the frame. I don't want to go too far! The original paint finish was the opaque dark grey that seems to have no primer underneath. I would be grateful for any thoughts.
Attachments
trek paintstrip.jpg
trek paintstrip 1.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com