Trek Madone 5.5 SL Project - Lance on Campagnolo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Hi Midge - the Ciamillo brakes are a pain to set up. I watched the 2 YouTube set up videos which are very helpful. They are super sensitive to housing length, so using i-links is much easier than normal housing as you can play around with the length very easily by adding or subtracting a segment at a time. They are plenty powerful, modulation is fine but I haven't tried them on any long descents yet. I will start to rotate the bars back to horizontal when I get out on the bike once the beast from the east goes and the snow melts. Smud saddles always look like they are slightly tipped backwards but it is perfectly flat. Super comfy saddle and only 69 grams. Its very comfy and Ive ridden long days in the mountains without any discomfort. Smud products are fantastic and really well made.

Joo - yup you are right about smud saddles it's the shape that always makes them look tipped back slightly.

The only way to get the bike much lighter would be wheels, lighter bars and rear derailleur. They are all big spend items and will need to be later in the year. It's my 40th birthday in the summer so it might be a good reason to look at ax lightness wheels or schmolke evo tlo bars. I am looking for a used Super Record rear derailleur that I can buy, modify and sand the logos off.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

A lot better now - with pictures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hardstyle

by Hardstyle

The bike is looking great :thumbup:

campagowlo

by campagowlo

A few small items arrived yesterday. Will get them fitted later today. Weights are spot on as advertised.
Attachments
poplockringrosepink.jpg
kcncpink.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Seqlite 11-27 cassette has arrived. Weight is bang on. PYC 1101 chain should arrive tomorrow. Will complete the build on the weekend. I've got a bit of dremelling and polishing needed on the rear derailleur. I'm also looking out for a super record rd that I can tune down to 155g.
Attachments
seqlite cassette.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Really pleased with the pyc sp1101 chain. Trimmed it weighs in at 208 grams which is 22 grams lighter than a Campag Record chain. Build pretty much finished, just need to tape the bars. Will probably tape from the shifters up and leave the drops bare a la Roglic.
Attachments
completed build.jpg
drivetrain.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Schmolke shifter clamps and countersunk bottle bolts ordered

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Super Record Rd and Berk combo bars next. Still thinking about going sram red but I think campagnolo and trek blends well.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Schmolke shifter clamps arrived 4g each.
Attachments
schmolkeclamps.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Schmolke bolts 1g each. Need to trim them down to 15mm which should get them to 0.6 grams each
Attachments
scmolkebolts.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Super Record Rear derailleur, 44 grams saved. Next up mcfk stem and new bars (either schmolke, haero or thm). Build will be done then (or at least for another few months :roll: )
Attachments
superrecordrd.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Fitted the super record rd last night. Shifts very crisply and needed little adjustment. It looks beautiful and works very well with 10 speed shifter. In the winter I will fit extralite delrin jockey wheels and will sand the logos off and 're clear coat it.

Ruimteaapjes

by Ruimteaapjes

campagowlo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:07 am
Fitted the super record rd last night. Shifts very crisply and needed little adjustment. It looks beautiful and works very well with 10 speed shifter. In the winter I will fit extralite delrin jockey wheels and will sand the logos off and 're clear coat it.
That's a nice little update. The bike is getting better each time you post an update :thumbup:

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Out on the bike photo from the weekend.
Attachments
20180602_141214-756x1008.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

Could save some weight on finishing tape there - two to three wraps are quite enough, and it will look better too. If you also give the bar tape a proper stretch while wrapping, you will be able to use less to get the same coverage, and it will lay more evenly on the bar.