When did Trek's become cool?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pritchet74

by pritchet74

I bought a Trek when Lance started winning the Tour and sold it a week later. That "dead wood" feeling was just horrible. Since then I have never considered Trek as anything I would want - until I went to Boulder last year for a TT bike fit saw coloclimber's TT bike (shown above) - it was just gorgeous and he raved about it. Then I read the Above Category article here https://abovecategorycycling.com/journa ... cing-trek/ and it really begged the question about when Trek became cool. Because it looks like they are making some fantastic bikes. Right now I am still in love with my Colnago EP, but there might certainly be a Trek in my future.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ronderman

by ronderman

Trek bikes are fine. You're not gonna be any slower on a Trek (or any faster). They often don't ride great, but many times wheels are where the ride quality comes from.

The issue is Trek the company. Just not as cool company. They might as well sell dishwashers, or toilets, or washer dryers - as a company, at this point, Bikes and the sport, love of bikes don't matter.

The Above Category stuff just showed those dudes are capitalists before they are lovers of bikes.

C36

by C36

ronderman wrote:The issue is Trek the company. Just not as cool company. They might as well sell dishwashers, or toilets, or washer dryers - as a company, at this point, Bikes and the sport, love of bikes don't matter.

The Above Category stuff just showed those dudes are capitalists before they are lovers of bikes.

When you see what they did with Klein it's just an absolute shame!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Vagabond

by Vagabond

To each their own. Greg is cool. Trek, not so much.
Colnago e Campagnolo

gitsome

by gitsome

coloclimber wrote:...Was the question recently posed by my good friend pritchet74.

Back in the heyday, I jumped on the bandwagon and rode a 5900 superlight
DSC00423.JPG
and even a Madone with flames
43rz7nk.jpg
:roll: Hey don't laugh too hard, it was cool back then and at least I was on carbon tubulars 100% of the time.

I always wanted to like them and "ride like Lance" but always felt they were kind of deadwood riding and soulless.

Since then, Trek has always been Lance's brand and very uninspiring considering lugged carbon had me by the heart strings. Until.....

Never

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

coloclimber wrote:...Was the question recently posed by my good friend pritchet74.

Back in the heyday, I jumped on the bandwagon and rode a 5900 superlight Hey don't laugh too hard, it was cool back then and at least I was on carbon tubulars 100% of the time.

I always wanted to like them and "ride like Lance" but always felt they were kind of deadwood riding and soulless.

Since then, Trek has always been Lance's brand and very uninspiring considering lugged carbon had me by the heart strings. Until.....

....tick,tock,tick,tock........

The early Lance era Postal Trek's will attain some 'bad boy' cool factor sometime in the future but that would be about it. The current crop are solid, decent bikes but pretty low on coolness.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

BmanX

by BmanX

I have always liked the Trek carbon frames but never owned one. I have seen some people taking the old 5500/5900 frames and making some upgrade and light builds. I was going to see if I could find one as well for really cheap and strip it down and install DT shifter and go 1x for a fun build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I kind of fell in for Trek when I was shopping for new cyclocross few years ago. Boone disc just ticked all boxes I had on my wishlist and even rides superb. Then I even had SuperCaliber which also had isospeed. During last fall I was in the market for aero road bike and Madone 9 was second last on my list. I went for Scott Foil.
They are great bikes and are nicely engineered and build. Only bad thing I find the bottom bracket. I had some issues with pressing bearings directly to frame.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270