My Next 'Nago; Project C6.0

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Hahaha. :beerchug:

I'm definitely doing my best to ride it hard :)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm trying really hard to avoid Cal's recommendation of using loctite in the BB cups... but the noise, and movement I can feel through the pedals, is driving me batty. One more hail mary tonight before going the loctite route...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You can actually feel "movement" in there. And you're absolutely certain it's the cups, versus some funky lightweight skewers or anything else? First, make sure the Threadfit cups themselves are torqued to spec if you remove everything. You'll need the proper tool for this and a decent torque wrench of course. If they are, then since you've had various cranks in there already (haven't you?), and if there really was any significant movement going on, I would just toss those cups and start fresh with new ones. I've heard of, but not experienced, one instance where the cups were actually out of spec, but who knows if they were like that from the beginning or became that way from wear. If it was me, that's what I'd do. But the primer/loctite thing is not scary... I didn't use that in mind. Simply some Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste and mine has been completely silent from day one. And even pressing in the Ultratorque cups, do use a proper press with drifts that seat in the bearing surfaces within the cups... do not just use some makeshift big ol' flat washer or something pressing on the outside edge of the cups. I wouldn't be surprised if that action alone could deform the cups enough to cause creaking. It doesn't take much. Then once the cups are in, make sure the inside surfaces of the cups are well greased, slide in the cranks and torque to spec (I use 50Nm, the middle of the 40-60Nm range). Don't know what else to tell ya, oh except maybe also check your chainring bolts etc and pedals etc. Good luck.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Also, you've got a lot of lightweight components in there, which never bode well for a completely soundproof build in my experience. Saddle bolts? Stem/bar interface. Carbon Paste everywhere? Creaks can resonate from almost anywhere and sometimes lead to deceiving you into thinking they are originating in one place when they're actually coming from another. So, check and doublecheck everything, eepecially skewers, pedals, chainring bolts, repeat. But I feel for ya... creaks drive me mad. But if I knew there was a creak coming from my pressfit BB, I'd have that thing out in a second and reinstalled with primer and loctite. It's easy, but for the cost of the primer and loctite you could just buy a new set of cups as well, and have peace of mind that the existing cups haven't been messed up already by movement. But do check the threadfit cups themselves. First thing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I can't say I'm certain what it is. I've greased and retorqued the pedals. The feeling through the pedals would surprise me if it was skewers - but - when I first starting hearing noise my mind went there as well. I've run two different wheels and skewers now. My "heftier" skewers being one set of Tune and riding the Enve skewers this morning.

The threadfit cups are a good idea. There was a little of the same feeling/sound on the DA cranks but one of the dust caps on that BB broke while I was installing it so I just chalked it up to that being the cause. The guy I bought the frame from forgot to include the threadfit tool so I'll have to ping him and wait on that.
I've got mixed feelings about buying a BB press now after building more than a dozen bikes with makeshift solutions and never needing the press.

Edit: It's not misc. lightweight components. I can reproduce the pop by hand now when applying a lot of sideforce to the DS arm.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Wait a minute, your idea of your "hefty skewer" is a Tune skewer? Before you do anything else, please beg borrow or steal a campy or Shimano skewer and try that out.
Oh, and how about a pic of the "makeshift press" you used to install the cups.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Enve skewers are fine. It's not the skewers. I'll bet a paycheck that holding the frame and pushing on a crank arm would not produce a pop from one of the wheels while using two different sets of skewers.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Press:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I was afraid of that. Still think a skewer swap, and an actual test ride, is prudent here. Perhaps a pedal swap as well. One thing at a time. Also, forgot to mention before... make sure the cassette lockring is torqued to 40Nm. Good luck... I'm afraid I've offered all the general advice I can without seeing it in person. You don't have the tools for the job and not in possession of proper skewers it seems. I mean, really... that hammer... 16oz?... please. 32oz is the minimum for this job :lol: . But I want sommodat gum.
:beerchug:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Haha :beerchug:

I'm going to see if I can get the BB cups pressed in any further while I wait for the threadfit tool to arrive. If that solves it, great, if not, I'll start running through everything else. When I first got the noise the other day, I went though thought process of pedals, cassette, skewers, etc. I've changed wheels, cassette, and skewers already (and even reproduced the sound with the bike in the stand and no wheels on) but if the fresh press doesn't work I'll throw on some different pedals and see if it's there. The ride in this morning was maddening... except for the pleasant reminder that these 58s brake REALLY well.

Delorre

by Delorre

Maybe a dumb question, but have you installed the clip on the drive side? Read somewhere that it prevents lateral movement of the crankset. Isn't it that what you 'feel'? Even a very slight movement can be anoying and make some noice...

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Not a dumb question at all. I did install that clip but the question still came to mind for me!

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Imaking20 wrote:

Absolutely stunning. Well done, my friend. Drop that post by about 2cm and it'd fit me just right.
Oldbie

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I think Ryan is a bad influence...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Solve that creak by putting 9100 back on there, my friend.

Albie, rider of a quiet DA equipped C60