My Warranty Replacement Madone H1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

da123

by da123

My original H2 geometry Madone (52 frame) developed an issue with the isospeed decoupler, which Trek couldn't resolve. Their customer service did me proud however and they upgraded the bike to a H1 frame for no extra cost. Comparing the H1 with the H2 has been interesting. I didn't expect there to be any difference in ride feel, but it is noticeably nicer to ride (whether it is £800 nicer to ride is another question of course...). It is also a good 200grams lighter, which goes against what Trek had told me when I was originally ordering my H2. All up weight with cages / garmin mount / pedals is 6.3 kg. Not bad for an aero bike.

MadoneRCL.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Not bad indeed... but your wheels I am sure are pretty light.

Looks my size .. do want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

da123

by da123

spdntrxi wrote:Not bad indeed... but your wheels I am sure are pretty light.

Looks my size .. do want

The wheels are around 950g, so yes, a major contribution! The tyres are not particularly light however. I will put Vittoria Corsa Speeds on it for Spain later this year (I don't dare risk them on UK roads), which will drop another 140g.

kevina6

by kevina6

Beautiful bike. What was the issue with the ISO speed decoupler on your original bike?

da123

by da123

kevina6 wrote:Beautiful bike. What was the issue with the ISO speed decoupler on your original bike?

They never got to the bottom of what was causing the problem. The symptom was that it squeaked loudly. The whole area was dismantled and replaced, the bearings were replaced, they even suggested at one point that it was the bottle cage bolts causing the problem. Nothing solved it however so eventually I got fed up and told them it either needed to be sorted once and for all or they needed to replace it. It went back to Trek's QC centre in the UK, was with them for two weeks, it came back allegedly cured and.... 5 miles down the road it was squeaking again. I videoed it, sent the video to Trek and to be fair to them they then bent over backwards to resolve the situation, hence I ended up with the H1 and a replacement set of the integrated bars (I wanted a narrower set) for no extra cost. Painful, but I'm happy with the final outcome! My LBS had by this point also worked out how to make sure the cables don't rattle which drove me bananas on the first bike, so it is (touch wood) a silent stealthy speed machine.

gsindela

by gsindela

da123 wrote:My original H2 geometry Madone (52 frame) developed an issue with the isospeed decoupler, which Trek couldn't resolve. Their customer service did me proud however and they upgraded the bike to a H1 frame for no extra cost. Comparing the H1 with the H2 has been interesting. I didn't expect there to be any difference in ride feel, but it is noticeably nicer to ride (whether it is £800 nicer to ride is another question of course...). It is also a good 200grams lighter, which goes against what Trek had told me when I was originally ordering my H2. All up weight with cages / garmin mount / pedals is 6.3 kg. Not bad for an aero bike.

MadoneRCL.jpg

Beautiful bike! Congrats. What wheels are those?
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

kevina6

by kevina6

da123 wrote:
kevina6 wrote:Beautiful bike. What was the issue with the ISO speed decoupler on your original bike?

They never got to the bottom of what was causing the problem. The symptom was that it squeaked loudly. The whole area was dismantled and replaced, the bearings were replaced, they even suggested at one point that it was the bottle cage bolts causing the problem. Nothing solved it however so eventually I got fed up and told them it either needed to be sorted once and for all or they needed to replace it. It went back to Trek's QC centre in the UK, was with them for two weeks, it came back allegedly cured and.... 5 miles down the road it was squeaking again. I videoed it, sent the video to Trek and to be fair to them they then bent over backwards to resolve the situation, hence I ended up with the H1 and a replacement set of the integrated bars (I wanted a narrower set) for no extra cost. Painful, but I'm happy with the final outcome! My LBS had by this point also worked out how to make sure the cables don't rattle which drove me bananas on the first bike, so it is (touch wood) a silent stealthy speed machine.

Good to hear you were looked after in the end. My madone 9 is a little creaky...Hopefully I don't have any similar issues with mine

da123

by da123

gsindela wrote:
da123 wrote:My original H2 geometry Madone (52 frame) developed an issue with the isospeed decoupler, which Trek couldn't resolve. Their customer service did me proud however and they upgraded the bike to a H1 frame for no extra cost. Comparing the H1 with the H2 has been interesting. I didn't expect there to be any difference in ride feel, but it is noticeably nicer to ride (whether it is £800 nicer to ride is another question of course...). It is also a good 200grams lighter, which goes against what Trek had told me when I was originally ordering my H2. All up weight with cages / garmin mount / pedals is 6.3 kg. Not bad for an aero bike.

MadoneRCL.jpg

Beautiful bike! Congrats. What wheels are those?

Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer Schwarz Edition. The ones with the ceramicspeed bearings that die as soon as you ride them in the rain...

jasonh

by jasonh

Curious to know if creaking isospeed decouplers is "a common issue" with Madones and Domanes?

kevina6

by kevina6

jasonh wrote:Curious to know if creaking isospeed decouplers is "a common issue" with Madones and Domanes?

I know lots of people with domane's and it does not seem to be an common issue

jasonh

by jasonh

good to know it's just an isolated incident.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Nice story and looks great. How long was the wait for your paint in H1? 700 carbon too?
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

da123

by da123

coloclimber wrote:Nice story and looks great. How long was the wait for your paint in H1? 700 carbon too?

Thanks. They expedited it because of the warranty issues, but still around 30 days I think. Yes, 700 carbon in the H1. It is the vapour coat colour - I'm not a fan of logos!

More generally, I've not seen anything indicating it is a common problem, so fingers crossed I was just unlucky with that one.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

From a fellow M9 owner, loving the bike.

Enjoy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghoundz

by ghoundz

I like the vapor coat. Which color is it? Is this the deep dark blue or dark aquatic?
Thanks!