2017 Stelbel Rodano Custom Steel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

Yeah as said above considering that you didnt use any particularly light component/wheelset, that's a decent weight.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Its quite smooth, but I still find it very noticeably flexier than my Evo, especially while sprinting. The bike is really smooth and quiet so its quite relaxing to climb with it. Thats all I can say really LOL. Its built from a custom tubeset from Columbus, not sure what the specs are. For 2018 theres a 200g lighter frame apparently. >:(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravity

by gravity

200g lighter but perhaps even flexxier. From my limited knowledge, there is a reason why steel rarely go below 1500g. 1200g - there must be compromise somewhere.

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

dudemanppl wrote:Its quite smooth, but I still find it very noticeably flexier than my Evo, especially while sprinting. The bike is really smooth and quiet so its quite relaxing to climb with it. Thats all I can say really LOL. Its built from a custom tubeset from Columbus, not sure what the specs are. For 2018 theres a 200g lighter frame apparently. >:(

Are you running the same tire/tube/handlebar/post combo on your Evo?
Road: Pegoretti MxxxxxO Ciavete
CX: Gellie Custom
Instagram: @titanium_dan

maverick_1

by maverick_1

I'm actually surprised to hear about the flex on this frame..
Considering the size on the chainstays, I was assuming that this is going to be a bone jarring, super stiff setup.
Btw did you try testing the Rodano using a different wheelset?
Last edited by maverick_1 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Not yet, I do have another wheelset coming in soon, but thats going to be a surprise. ;)

titaniumdan wrote:Are you running the same tire/tube/handlebar/post combo on your Evo?

Same wheels (so tires and tubes) and bars. Different post which has less showing and also doesn't flex nearly as much as the Evo post, but I still feel my booty is taken care of better.

micky

by micky

Im also a bit surprised about all this flex.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Well, he's obviously packing a #wattagebazooka

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

dudemanppl wrote:Not yet, I do have another wheelset coming in soon, but thats going to be a surprise. ;)

titaniumdan wrote:Are you running the same tire/tube/handlebar/post combo on your Evo?

Same wheels (so tires and tubes) and bars. Different post which has less showing and also doesn't flex nearly as much as the Evo post, but I still feel my booty is taken care of better.

Interesting. Those chain-stays look a lot like my MxxxxxO's, and that feels plenty stiff to me, even compared to my old Allez Sprint and carbon bikes.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I find with metal bikes (that aren't aluminum), there feels like theres a slight delay in response when you put down power. Like its just a muted transmission of power versus carbon where you stomp down and it just GOES. The titanium Waltly I had was like this too. It was stiff, but it had muted power transmission. Basically it doesn't feel as snappy. I much prefer carbon in that regard, but the geo makes the bike ride so well I don't mind too much. Plus I'm not going to be racing on this anyway.

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

dudemanppl wrote:I find with metal bikes (that aren't aluminum), there feels like theres a slight delay in response when you put down power. Like its just a muted transmission of power versus carbon where you stomp down and it just GOES. The titanium Waltly I had was like this too. It was stiff, but it had muted power transmission. Basically it doesn't feel as snappy. I much prefer carbon in that regard, but the geo makes the bike ride so well I don't mind too much. Plus I'm not going to be racing on this anyway.

Makes sense. I spent an extended stint on a Parlee. That really felt instantaneous when you stomped on it.

Whether it makes the bike actually go any faster... still undecided.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Changed many many things up. New wheels coming in too, updating in two weeks...

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Nicely done.
What wheels are you getting btw?

Cheers

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Looking great!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Denavelo

by Denavelo

dudemanppl wrote:I find with metal bikes (that aren't aluminum), there feels like theres a slight delay in response when you put down power. Like its just a muted transmission of power versus carbon where you stomp down and it just GOES. The titanium Waltly I had was like this too. It was stiff, but it had muted power transmission. Basically it doesn't feel as snappy. I much prefer carbon in that regard, but the geo makes the bike ride so well I don't mind too much. Plus I'm not going to be racing on this anyway.

Going back to my Speedvagen from a BH evo, it took me a few rides to adjust to the material characteristics. With Metal I found I was blowing all of my energy trying to ride it like a carbon bike, where you can hammer on the pedals and get immediate feedback. I had to learn to ride smooth again and carry momentum when it came to my steel bike. On long climbs, you just have to sit in the saddle and smoothly spin out the ride. With carbon you can do long efforts out of the saddle and not get fatigued. I miss the snap (Reason I bought a SSEVO), but I love the way steel rides. I think it's nice to have 1 of each in your stable. Metal bikes make you ride a certain way (Smoother cadence and sitting in the saddle more). I'm Ti-Curious, so I'm looking for a Ti frame to build up.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com