2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jlok

by jlok

Just built my forth disc brake rb. I could only own 1 single bike and hopefully I will settle on it for at least for 3 years.

R785 Di2 and drive train, Fizik Tritone 5.5 Kium and the GP TT 23c tires were taken from my last bike. The 3T Aeronova (40cm c-c at drop), Ritchey 4-axis 44 90mm, Roval CLX 32/50 and SRAM Red DZero are brand new.

This bike is fast and comfortable (relatively). My best bike so far. I love it.

Image Image

Didn't count all the grams but still...

Frame: 955g size S, ISP uncut
Fork: 329g uncut
Seat mast: 131g with all spacers
Headset cap: 27g with all spacers and bolt
Expander: 48g (tempted to try the AirCap glue on expander...)
Front/Rear wheel axles: 64/75g

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

Nice build!

RazorL

by RazorL

Really dig those colors!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Very, very nice.

Respectable if not great weight for the frame. Fork is light considering it has to support disc braking.

Curious about room for tires. Do you think 28 mm would fit?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

alastairb

by alastairb

Nice bike.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jeffy

by jeffy

uncut 1086g for frame - including seatpost

Would be interest in how much the cut off fork steerer and seatmast (say... per inch?) weight.

would be interesting if you have left over seatmast off cut to weight it and measure the length....

allowing for 36g off both the fork and frame for cutting (realistic?) that makes it 1050g - so basically equivalent of an 825g frame and 225g seatpost. not too bad at all for (i) a disc bike (ii) actual weight (with paint) (iii) price (is) and performance (thought to be) outstanding.

I dont think there are aftermarket.lightweight options for the dtswiss axles, though i think there might be "lever tool comes off" versions that take off quite a bit

More pics please...

MoPho

by MoPho

Bike came out great! :thumbup:

For comparison if anyone is interested my Advanced Pro disc non ISP Size S frame was 890g and the fork 370g w/o seat post

jeffy

by jeffy

for the sake of pedantry did you weigh the seatpost?

seems like there is less than 150g difference between the framesets.

how do you find your Adv Pro? How does it compare to previous rides?
Last edited by jeffy on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casper3043

by casper3043

beautiful bike! did i miss what the total current weight is? i settled on a Defy, but if I had the funds it would be this bike.

jlok

by jlok

The 23mm GP TT is now 26mm wide at 90/100 psi. Not much clearance left, maybe 5mm each side measured by my more than 30yo eyes and cpu. I do have a 28c GP4k2 will mount it up and see when I'm back in town.

Cyclingtips.com stated 7.79kg for TCR ADV PRO sans pedals and cages. I guess mine is not far off. Rough comparison below:

Handlebar -
Transmission + (mine is GS and 32T PG1170)
Frameset -
Saddle +
Wheelset - maybe
Tires - (GP TT plus latex tubes is very light)
Brakes + (I'm running 160/140)

Anyway, I'm also interested in the total weight. Will find out asap.

Although it is top tier model, I'd say it is a me-too iteration. The Di2 top tube entry port is a direct copy from rim brake variant. It expects the rear brake cable nearby but obviously not the case for disc brake config as the brake hose is on DT. Shame.

With that, thanks all for the praise and love.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

MoPho

by MoPho

jeffy wrote:for the sake of pedantry did you weigh the seatpost?

seems like there is less than 150g difference between the framesets.

how do you find your Adv Pro? How does it compare to previous rides?

Unfortunately we forgot to weigh it. :(

Overall, I am loving the bike, it's fast and the brakes and shifting are amazing, but hard to compare to my previous MY14 TCR Adv SL because there is so many variables, different size frame and fit, different components, etc.. I will say that I think it is more harsh riding than my old TCR, but it seems the wheels are a big contributor to that.
here is the build if you missed it viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66856&start=630#p1266221

jlok wrote:Cyclingtips.com stated 7.79kg for TCR ADV PRO sans pedals and cages. I guess mine is not far off. Rough comparison below:

Mine weighs exactly that WITH pedals, cages and computer/mount and I am running the Ultegra cranks with a Stages power meter, so yours should be lighter I would think.
A friend has nearly the exact same set up as I do but with rim brakes and my bike is only 250-300g heavier

Although it is top tier model, I'd say it is a me-too iteration. The Di2 top tube entry port is a direct copy from rim brake variant. It expects the rear brake cable nearby but obviously not the case for disc brake config as the brake hose is on DT. Shame.

They only had to redesign the rear triangle and the fork for the disc version, the rest is the same molds as the rim brake bike, which makes sense to keep it as close to the "celebrated" TCR rim brake versions. As we had discussed on the other forum the Di2 can go in with the rear brake line and clean it up

jlok

by jlok

Yes, I did what you said and squeezed through the rubber. Luckily it's on NDS so wouldn't get noticed ;) If only had Giant provided a grommet to allow both Di2 and brake hose in, I'd have no complaint.

Agility is better than average but not extreme (4 out of scale of 1-5). Maybe it's the size S with a trail of 60mm. Once goes up to M and onward the trail is 57... (Educate me of I got this wrong).

Can't wait to try out the climbing and descending ability. I have high expectation.

Btw, the Enve 5.6 are fking cool. Got CLX 3.5 finally as I want more crosswind stability here in Hong Kong. Very difficult decision tbh.

jlok

by jlok

I went for a short and steep climb to bed in the front brake. This bike is a climber! The rear triangle and the CLX 50 are stiff. I easily matched my PR four years ago on board of Alize and Ksyrium Elite S. But I was much fitter back then. Will do a longer climb tmr in group ride and see.

Here's a more proper photo of my bike.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

You can probably cut the weight of the thru axles in half.

Assuming they are Shimano E-Thru standard, check out Extralite, Shift-Up Components, or Ibis. They all make replacements for DT Swiss/Shimano axles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jkarbel

by jkarbel

I've got one of these coming my way. Sram red Etap hydro. Size small with the giant slr 0 disc wheels.
I've used the slr 0 50 rim brake wheels and they were very good. The disc can only make them better.
Curious about your thoughts on the rovals and the enves I see you ran on your prior build. I'd look at zipps as wel but the 6 bolt rotor is a big check mark against them.
What do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com