2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jeffy

by jeffy

^ post details, pic, weight when you get it. really love to see how light etap red SL + climbing wheels gets

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

jeffy wrote:^ post details, pic, weight when you get it. really love to see how light etap red SL + climbing wheels gets

16.08lbs... still couldn't break the 7kg barrier without going after exotic stuffs like carbon brake disc, spoke wheels, etc...

I think I'd only swap the cassette to XG-1190 to shave grams... don't wanna lose the usability / look

Components are:
PG-1170 11-32
Elite Canibal cage x2
Pro One 25mm (front) / Conti GP4000S2 28mm with Michelin latex tube 60mm valve (rear) (sorry... was patching the other Pro One 25mm)
Supacaz bar tape
K-Edge Combo XL mount
KMC X-11EL chain (this chain is dying and will be changed very soon, this is not so durable...)
160mm RT-81 CL (will swap to Centerline X 6-bolt 160 with CL adaptor as the rotor is bundled with the groupset)
140mm RT-99 CL (will swap to Centerline X 6-bolt 160 with CL adaptor as the rotor is bundled with the groupset)
Roval CLX32/50
Cateye Rapid X rear light (sorry... forgot to remove it when weighted)
eTap HRD WiFli
Pro Stealth Carbon 155mm
Ritchey WCS 4-axis 90mm
3T Aeronova Ltd 40cm c-c (38cm at hood)
Red DZero 175mm 110bcd 50/34 red chainrings
Dura Ace PD-R9100

Some photos...
Last edited by jlok on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

jkarbel wrote:I've got one of these coming my way. Sram red Etap hydro. Size small with the giant slr 0 disc wheels.
I've used the slr 0 50 rim brake wheels and they were very good. The disc can only make them better.
Curious about your thoughts on the rovals and the enves I see you ran on your prior build. I'd look at zipps as wel but the 6 bolt rotor is a big check mark against them.
What do you think?

congratulations! I'm sure u'd enjoy the ride.

TL;DR - Great value when comparing to Enve.

The CLX is almost perfect if you don't care about perfect tubeless support.

The shoulders where the tire beads sit cannot lock the tire so that the beads will slip to the center canal when deflate. That means when the tire is torn/cut wide enough so that air leaks rapidly, the tire will dislodge and won't stay put. I think being tubeless rim it should offer this security feature.

Hub is beautiful and with DT swiss internals you get the idea. Still curious about the 1x NDS rear spokes... and radial DS front spokes... been questioning the stress when braking hard but wheels are still fine after ard 1500km. Rear spokes started to make noise under some stress (>200W), which is eliminated with a tiny drop of chain oil at intersections.

21mm int width is great. 25mm pro one will become 28.5 @65psi. 28mm GP4000s2 = 31.5 @65psi. I wish there's 2mm more rear tire clearance so that I can 100% feel safe to run 28mm at the rear.

Pro One seated without sealant and leakage similar to latex tube. Almost no leakage when there's 20-30mL sealant. forget the tubeless plugs and use tubeless tape. I like schwalbe tapes, easier to apply than stan's yellow.

With this wheelset (or in combination of the frameset?), high-speed descending (70+kmh) is so sharp and secure, even better with 28mm rear is like train on rail... sorry for the exaggerate but 28 is really proofing it's worth.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jkarbel

by jkarbel

Nice! My build will be very similar. I've got a Giant SLR0 aero bar stem combo left over from the Propel SL I just sold. Etap all around. Wifli rear mech. Probably do the red crank w stages arm. Arundel mandible cages, k-edge mount for my Garmin. Romin S-Works saddle. Leaning towards the roval clx 50s front and rear. Take the best of both worlds from the 2 brands we sell, specialized and giant.
This will be my 2nd Tcr SL bike. I had the last Rabobank frame from 2013. It was amazing. I am really looking forward to the disc brakes. I've got them on my Crux pro w di2 and they can't be beat.

Pictures soon. Have to get the bike first.

Any issues with clearance with the roval rear wheel? They spec out at 29 mm wide. That's beefy.
I assume no issues as you have them in the pics.
Last edited by jkarbel on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delorre

by Delorre

jlok wrote:
jkarbel wrote:I've got one of these coming my way. Sram red Etap hydro. Size small with the giant slr 0 disc wheels.
I've used the slr 0 50 rim brake wheels and they were very good. The disc can only make them better.
Curious about your thoughts on the rovals and the enves I see you ran on your prior build. I'd look at zipps as wel but the 6 bolt rotor is a big check mark against them.
What do you think?

The shoulders where the tire beads sit cannot lock the tire so that the beads will slip to the center canal when deflate. That means when the tire is torn/cut wide enough so that air leaks rapidly, the tire will dislodge and won't stay put. I think being tubeless rim it should offer this security feature.

Hub is beautiful and with DT swiss internals you get the idea. Still curious about the 1x NDS rear spokes... and radial DS front spokes... been questioning the stress when braking hard but wheels are still fine after ard 1500km. Rear spokes started to make noise under some stress (>200W), which is eliminated with a tiny drop of chain oil at intersections.

21mm int width is great. 25mm pro one will become 28.5 @65psi. 28mm GP4000s2 = 31.5 @65psi. I wish there's 2mm more rear tire clearance so that I can 100% feel safe to run 28mm at the rear.

Pro One seated without sealant and leakage similar to latex tube. Almost no leakage when there's 20-30mL sealant. forget the tubeless plugs and use tubeless tape. I like schwalbe tapes, easier to apply than stan's yellow.

With this wheelset (or in combination of the frameset?), high-speed descending (70+kmh) is so sharp and secure, even better with 28mm rear is like train on rail... sorry for the exaggerate but 28 is really proofing it's worth.

Have you tried the 28mm at the front? How much mm do you have at the back, that you wish to have some mm more? btw, 7kg is a very neat weight, espacially with the Quarq and the DA pedals. My Endurace is 6,9, but with 160gr speedplays, DA + Stages and 32mm roval front and rear.

jlok

by jlok

no clearance issue for the Roval rims.

but there's only 2-3 mm left each side of the 28mm conti tire at the rear. haven't tried putting 28 at the front tho.

squid046

by squid046

I always liked the blue/orange combo

boots2000

by boots2000

How are those wheels with standard clincher tires?
Does the bead stay put when they deflate?

jlok wrote:
What do you think?

jlok

by jlok

@boots2000 I couldn't remember... it's long time ago... (just two weeks ;)

I think the beads of GP4000S2 28 stayed on the shoulders of CLX50. I'm really not sure sorry...

jkarbel

by jkarbel

I finally got my new Giant TCR Advanced SL disc built up this past weekend. Made a few changes to the stock bike.
Specialized Romin Evo S-works 143 saddle
Sram Wifli rear mech
Specialized Roval CLX 50 wheels
Continental 4000S 25 mm rubber w tubes
Giant SLR Aero 1 piece bar & stem

Really surprised the Specialized 50 mm wheels are lighter than the Giant SLR 0s 30 mm by about 169 grams.

The final build came in at 15 pounds including Arundel mandible carbon bottle cages, Speedplay zero Ti pedals and the K-Edge garmin mount. Really light for a disc bike.
Attachments
Finally got my TCR SL Disc built up.<br />15 lbs as it sits here.
Finally got my TCR SL Disc built up.
15 lbs as it sits here.
Swapped out for a wifli medium cage and a set of Specialized Roval CLX 50s.
Swapped out for a wifli medium cage and a set of Specialized Roval CLX 50s.
IMG_0949.JPG
Swapped out the stock bar for a 1 piece SRL Aero unit.
Swapped out the stock bar for a 1 piece SRL Aero unit.
K-Edge mount for the Garmin.
K-Edge mount for the Garmin.
Amazed that the Conti 4000s 25 mm tires balloon out to 28 mm on the Specialized wheels.
Amazed that the Conti 4000s 25 mm tires balloon out to 28 mm on the Specialized wheels.
Plenty of clearance
Plenty of clearance
Really amazed that the Specialized Roval 50 mm wheels are actually lighter than the Giant 30 mm.  This is the Specialized rear wheel with a Red 11-32 cassette and a conti 25 tire and tube, 1320 gm, no disc.  1320 g
Really amazed that the Specialized Roval 50 mm wheels are actually lighter than the Giant 30 mm. This is the Specialized rear wheel with a Red 11-32 cassette and a conti 25 tire and tube, 1320 gm, no disc. 1320 g
This is the Giant SLR 0 wheel, stock rubber, no tube or sealant installed.  Sram red 11-28 cassette and tube added to compare apples to apples. 1375 g
This is the Giant SLR 0 wheel, stock rubber, no tube or sealant installed. Sram red 11-28 cassette and tube added to compare apples to apples. 1375 g

Delorre

by Delorre

@jkarbel : is that a size small? Could yo post some bigger pics, the bike really deserve it, incl a shot of the front tyre clearance? I'm still looking at something to replace my Addict AND Endurace with, so basicly a full on disc race bike, but with space for up to 28mm gp 4000s. Not a lot to choose from other than Addict Disc (nothing new anymore for me), Canyon Ultimate Disc (front end geo and handling the same as Endurace, and not 100% my taste, otherise, I would have kept the Endurace as only bike), Ridley Fenix Slx (why not after all, the first reviews are great, but not trust them anymore...) or maybe the future Tarmac Disc. Totally overlooked the Giant, but front clearance might not be enough.

jkarbel

by jkarbel

I haven't figured out how to post bigger pics. I'd love to share the beautiful pics I took but the site says the max file size is 160 KB.
Depending on the wheel you choose you may have difficulty getting a 28 in this frame. I have 25s on these Specialized wheels and they measure out to 28 mm. There is a good amount of clearance as shown but a 28 would end up over 30 and would be a tight squeeze if it fit at all.
The Defy SL would totally take a 28 on wide rims.

TonyM

by TonyM

Nice orange color!

MoPho

by MoPho

My previous TCR SL (rim brake) with Sram Red weighed 15lbs so I'd say that is a good weight

damond

by damond

i am using 28's on my TCR rim brake with stock giant rims and it still has some clearance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com