4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

Stan's comes in a small bottle with a conical nozzle. I keep them half full which is enough for on the road repairs. Once I run out of the Stan's, I replenish them with Orange seal, which in my experience works slightly better. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't pretreat your tires. Sealant dries out eventually and that stays inside your wheels.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Denavelo wrote:This thread is highly inspiring, considering my 56cm Evo stock weighs 780g! I should be able to get my frame in the high 600g world after sanding, and my build parts are similar to what ya got on your 58! INSPIRATION!

Thanks! Hope you're going to document the progress of your build(s)!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I think when I'm done building mine it will be about 1kg heavier than yours, but that's ok. I won't be super tuning or sanding and will have clinchers, albeit Veloflex Records with Vredestein latex tubes. Hmm, would love a Veloflyte bearing dust cap though, but they aren't making them anymore. Did you cut your Schmolke M6 steerer cap bolt? I got mine in the mail it came in at 2gm uncut

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

On another note, how is the braking with Corima pads on the AX wheels?!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

dereksmalls wrote:I think when I'm done building mine it will be about 1kg heavier than yours, but that's ok. I won't be super tuning or sanding and will have clinchers, albeit Veloflex Records with Vredestein latex tubes. Hmm, would love a Veloflyte bearing dust cap though, but they aren't making them anymore. Did you cut your Schmolke M6 steerer cap bolt? I got mine in the mail it came in at 2gm uncut

http://www.lowandlong.com/products?page=2
Yes, I cut the bolt down to the relevant length (can't remember to be honest how long, but identical length to the Extralite one that comes with their top cap). The Schmolke bolts all came in far too long. You should cut it down if you can as per their instructions.
Last edited by 4ibanez on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

DWatkinsBSB wrote:On another note, how is the braking with Corima pads on the AX wheels?!

Surprisingly good after my previous experience with Corima cork on my carbon clinchers. I really need to bed them in a bit more I think. Anyway, my initial impression is they stop me pretty fast, but modulation perhaps worse than black prince.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

4ibanez wrote:
dereksmalls wrote:I think when I'm done building mine it will be about 1kg heavier than yours, but that's ok. I won't be super tuning or sanding and will have clinchers, albeit Veloflex Records with Vredestein latex tubes. Hmm, would love a Veloflyte bearing dust cap though, but they aren't making them anymore. Did you cut your Schmolke M6 steerer cap bolt? I got mine in the mail it came in at 2gm uncut

http://www.lowandlong.com/products?page=2
Yes, I cut the bolt down to the relevant length (can't remember to be honest how long, but identical length to the Extralite one that comes with their top cap). The Schmolke bolts all came in far too long. You should cut it down if you can as per their instructions.

Did you get the standard one - which is out of stock and I doubt will be back in stock due to the Veloflyte Iron Man project (WTF? Why, who cares?), or the CAAD10 version?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

No the CAAD10 is exactly the same dimensions as the Supersix. I looked into it before buying my one. I don't think the standard one saw the light of day. Veloflyte were doing some interesting stuff, but seem to have permanently disappeared. This guy who seems to have designed a professional site bought up their whole stock. Expensive for what it is, but if you want it enough...!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I couldn't get the Carbonice magnet to work - even after Bike24 sent me a 2nd one. It's just too week for the gap so I've pulled the Tune pulsar off my clinchers.

Also not really build related, but I decided to get a 2nd saddlebag for tubular setup and Wiggle sent me the Castelli XL rather than the mini. They obviously don't realise it's for WW bike!

Annoying...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I ended up buying 50 tiny rare magnets, off eBay for like 3quid. glued about 3 or 4 of them together and made my own tune pulse. Glued it to the spoke and worked perfect

garjo

by garjo

DWatkinsBSB wrote:
NiFTY wrote:Is that the FSA SL headset, i found that the lower bearing didn't have enough height and the fork rubbed on the head tube.

Ooof, sure hope mine works fine. I wouldn't thought that, based on the top bearing, you would have additional stack, not too little!

"... midweek lull kicked in, but I got hold of an FSA SL upper bearing, which I saw Nifty post about. I was a bit concerned about fit as stack is almost +2mm over OEM, but it fits fine and is just seated further down (better) in the cup in the head tube..."

Recently I've bought the upper and lower FSA SL headset bearings for my Supersix HM '14, no problem with the the lower one because it has exactly the same height of the stock bearing, but the upper SL (1/1/8'' 45°-45°) appeared to be taller and with a different profile from the stock one (tange), check the pictures of them..
is 1/1/8'' 45°-45° the correct size for the upper bearing on Supersix HM 2014 or I need the 1.5" ACB 36° x 45°? :noidea:

My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

1.5" would be for the lower, but my 2015 is 1.25" at the lower headset. Upper is definitely 1.125, 45°x45°, but like you say the SL has got more stack. I've actually bought the lower SL bearing recently just to get free postage on something else I was ordering. I was gonna buy it sometime anyway. Just gotta find time to take the front end apart... again! Not sure what the weight saving will be.

garjo

by garjo

4ibanez wrote:1.5" would be for the lower, but my 2015 is 1.25" at the lower headset. Upper is definitely 1.125, 45°x45°, but like you say the SL has got more stack. I've actually bought the lower SL bearing recently just to get free postage on something else I was ordering. I was gonna buy it sometime anyway. Just gotta find time to take the front end apart... again! Not sure what the weight saving will be.

Using upper and lower SL bearings the weight saving is 19 grams (30 grams instead of 49)
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

As a lot of Evo owners commenting on my thread have been going for the FSA SL headsets, who am I to pass up such a weight saving?!

I already have the upper SL bearing, and I got the lower SL bearing through this week from Tredz for £25 along with some Orange Seal. I chucked the lower 1, 1/4" bearing in and it fits perfectly. Still can't cure the drag in the upper when the play is out of the headset, but hey ho it's free enough. With the new 17g lower, my headset is now 30.9g + 1.8g compression ring. I won't bother with photos as there's loads of other people's scale shots already, so that saves me the effort!

This 10.3g saved on the lower bearing gets me to 4,720g.

The only other thing I have loose plans for at the moment is some Veloflex tubs - either sprinter or extreme depending on whether I go for tan side walls.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Was it the 1 1/4 45°x45° for the lower bearing? Can you link to the one on the Tredz site for the lower assembly? I'm going for a Cane Creek AER upper assembly so need something light for the bottom. My LBS is going to hate me when I walk in with my box of parts and say "swap everything out for this stuff please" :lol: :lol: