4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tomvin90

by tomvin90

loving the build, congrats!
not sure how much riding you have done yet, but how are you finding the fabric bottle cage system? Considering switching to them on my caad10.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Great looking bike! I always wanted to possess these AX rims.

Got a question reg the carbon surface.
I have just started my project, from small parts, bar, post levers. My previous experience with stripping paint, clearcoat from carbon parts was not huge. Just one bar and post made by Token. The post took me literally about 20min, there was very thin clearcoat on it. Bar took bit more, but in both cases I had clear carbon surface, post 3k, bar marble.
Now I'm playing with 3T UD components and I am not sure at what point I should stop sanding.
Now the surface looks like your fork. The grey patches, is it a base, filler? I'm just worrying if I wanted to take it off I would have to sand off some carbon as well.
4ibanez wrote:Image
Last edited by 1415chris on Wed May 31, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

1415chris wrote:Great looking bike! I always wantet to possess these AX rims.

Got a question reg the carbon surface.
I have just started my project, from small parts, bar, post levers. My previous experience with stripping paint, clearcoat from carbon parts was not huge. Just one bar and post made by Token. The post took me literally about 20min, there was very thin clearcoat on it. Bar took bit more, but in both cases I had clear carbon surface, post 3k, bar marble.
Now I playing with 3T UD components and I am not sure at what point I should stop sanding.
Now the surface looks like your post. The grey patches, is it a base, filler? I'm just worrying if I wanted to take it off I would have to sand off some carbon as well.
4ibanez wrote:

Just stop sanding once you've got no paint left! I don't know much about UD carbon, but my Cannondale's filler was pink/purple, I think it's white on some parts. With bars and posts it wouldn't take long to get to nude carbon. I'd use some 400 grit for your nice parts.
It's your call whether you want to get out all the filler, but you're likely to take a bit of carbon along the way (that's what happens with sanding). You need to think about what you'd do about the pock-marked surface afterwards though.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Really enjoyed watching this thread over the past few months.
And like the way the build turned out. You must freak people out when you ask them to hoist your bike!
If you replace those cable crimps with a dab of super glue, that might get you another few grams. lol
And the more you ride it, the lighter it will get: grinding down rings, cogs, tires, etc. (Okay, that was dumber than my previous line.)

Perhaps you could give us a final "accounting" of the before and after.
You know, one column with starting weights, one with finishing, and the difference.
Oldbie

1415chris

by 1415chris

Thanks for response and tips.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Asteroid wrote:Really enjoyed watching this thread over the past few months.
And like the way the build turned out. You must freak people out when you ask them to hoist your bike!
If you replace those cable crimps with a dab of super glue, that might get you another few grams. lol
And the more you ride it, the lighter it will get: grinding down rings, cogs, tires, etc. (Okay, that was dumber than my previous line.)

Perhaps you could give us a final "accounting" of the before and after.
You know, one column with starting weights, one with finishing, and the difference.

Thanks! Yeh the cable crimps lost their anodising just looking at them. I have some black ones somewhere that may go on. I've seen someone solder which sounds like a good idea. Don't have the kit to do it though. I have a paper list which I'll type up when I can.
Last edited by 4ibanez on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I haven't made it out on this bike yet, but here are some plain background shots - at least sunset provided some nice light!

The bike came out at 4.75kg with the current tubulars.

Even with some not too light tubular tyres I could loose another 100g on the tyres. I'm still waiting for Corima cork pads, which will shave 20g. I'd need to do some serious stuff like Extralite hubs, combos etc to hit 4.5kg though, so until the itch comes again it'll stay like this.

THM Clavicula SE 172.5 (297g)
AX3000 with THM padholders and Schmolke bolts (101g for the pair without pads)
AX -17° 12cm stem (82g), Veloflyte bearing cover (0.9g), Tune magnesium spacer 0.7g, Veloflyte top cap (1.6g) and Schmolke M6 bolt (1g)
I always get an expert to do my bar tape and now you know why! I also managed to put the wrong hoods on the wrong shifter and only realised after cabling up. The hole punches allowed me to pull the hoods over the levers and back on the right side :oops:
Tuned Tiso FD (46g)
Carbonice spoke magnet - didn't even register on the scale, but claimed at 0.2g

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Nice! Love that Tiso. I look forward to a ride report

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Lord have mercy!! This is insane!

Chapeau, sir! I'm wrapping up my build... with a bottle cage and Garmin mount I will be looking at 5270 or thereabouts.

Thanks for the fantastic inspiration!

BTW, what is the model of your wheels and how much they weigh in at? My weapon of choice ended up being some 32mm s+ corimas at 1130grams.
Last edited by DWatkinsBSB on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

4ibanez wrote:I used Tune plastic MTB liner for my outters. I neglected to weigh the actual amount, as I was pressing on fast, but about 5g per segment x5 (you split a segment to do the RD and rear brake). So about 25g for the outters.

I can confirm that. The 5 I got came in at 25gm on the nose uncut

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

4ibanez, you seem to use Cateye Strada Slim too. Can you show how the head unit is mounted? I'm curious about other configurations besides default "on the stem".

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Another question to Derek and Ibanez: where can I get the Tune liner? No joy over at R2...

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Klaster1 wrote:4ibanez, you seem to use Cateye Strada Slim too. Can you show how the head unit is mounted? I'm curious about other configurations besides default "on the stem".

Barfly do an out front mount for the strada series.

This build is absolutely stunning! Congratulations.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

DWatkinsBSB wrote:Another question to Derek and Ibanez: where can I get the Tune liner? No joy over at R2...

ebay - search "Tune bowden plastic" as links aren't allowed.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

burglarboycie wrote:This build is absolutely stunning! Congratulations.

Thank you :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com