Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1113 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 am 

4ibanez wrote:
NiFTY wrote:
Thats looks great with new rims. Did you get the fsa lower headset to work?

Thanks! No, after you said you couldn't get it to work I decided to just buy the upper.

Lol. I'm going for it. I think the problem I might have on the bottom is the same as on the top. The inner diameter is recessed compared tot he standard bearing. A handful of microspacers should get the job done. Challenge is getting the 1 1/4 micro spacers from anywhere other that ridewill who wants to charge 20 quid shipping to London!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 pm 

dereksmalls wrote:
4ibanez wrote:
The Corima pads arrived from Strada Wheels. They weren't the old type pictured on their site, they're the new ones with white writing which are a bit heavier. They came in at 13g for 4, but I trimmed and filed down to 12g.

Glad I never ended up getting a set from Strada in the end. I just could not get their invoicing to work for me here in New Zealand. Which is a shame as they have some nice stuff - eg the AX rims - which no one else sells by the rim it would seem

I had to message them to achieve that as I couldn't seem to complete the ordering process either (from in the UK). It seems I might have had the same issue as you, but they were about £10 more expensive everywhere else for 4. Anyway that sorted out that particular issue after I emailed them.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:22 pm 

I missed spending my weekend sanding, so got round to doing the shifters. Much more in keeping with the rest of the bike now...and maybe 1g lighter :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:06 am 

Now you can dremel the hell out of the levers!! Also how does the shifting feel with those liners? Is it smooth? I'm going to be running mine with the Alligator 31 strand steel cables so going for performance rathe rthan light weight in my choice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:09 pm 

Ha ha. I don't own a dremel and not sure if I have the dedication (or ability) to spend more time taking things off and tuning them. I just want to ride for now. I've found the shifting fine with the Tune liners - as good as it was with my i-links and steel cables.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:49 pm 

Where did you get the tune outer liners from? This looks like a very neat and uber weenie solution. I'm getting lots of inspiration from your build for my trek madone build. I'm based in Cambridge, Norfolk is lovely by the way

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:27 pm 

campagowlo wrote:
Where did you get the tune outer liners from? This looks like a very neat and uber weenie solution. I'm getting lots of inspiration from your build for my trek madone build. I'm based in Cambridge, Norfolk is lovely by the way

They're from ebay - I answered some questions about them a few pages back. The cables look a bit busy at the headtube as the frame is clearly set up for usual US style where the levers are the opposite sides to UK. Like around Cambridge by all accounts, there are some decent places to ride round here. A bit more varied terrain would be nice though!

Last edited by 4ibanez on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 am 

Got the ACB SL bottom bearing and it worked fine. It's the top bearing that's giving me stick and requires 6 microspacers between the compression ring and the dust cap. Might get a light weight carbon spacer and saw it/sand it down to size I need.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 am 

DWatkinsBSB wrote:
Got the ACB SL bottom bearing and it worked fine. It's the top bearing that's giving me stick and requires 6 microspacers between the compression ring and the dust cap. Might get a light weight carbon spacer and saw it/sand it down to size I need.

I have a touch of friction with the upper headset - sounds like the same problem as you. Edit: I just read your thread and I dont have a gap, so different issues for sure. Anyhow, when riding it's totally inconsequential.
Let us know if you get a good fix, and send some pics of the solution.

Hmm good to know the lower works fine for you. We have different models I think, but I might try it sometime in future - I'll probably just wait til my lower bearing is shot.

Last edited by 4ibanez on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:59 am 

While I don't get my build thread here on 2introduce yourself", I've strated a headset thread on "Road". Should have some pictures there during the ocurse of the week and would appreciate your input (together with the other guys (Godzuki, Nifty, RyaH).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:39 pm 

So it's been fun, but the build is done and I'm now getting out and loving the ride. I'm still more than happy to answer any questions, and will still update the build here when the urge strikes!

For now, as promised, here's a build list. There are some weights to within 1g, and some to 0.1g depending on the scale I used at the time. I'm leaving the headline as 4.73kg, as I haven't accounted for things like carbon paste, grease, air etc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 am 

Question, as I see you say you are using sealant. What sealant are you using in your tubs?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:12 am 

Peeza21 wrote:
Question, as I see you say you are using sealant. What sealant are you using in your tubs?

Sorry, that's the reason I don't have a breakdown of weights for the wheelset - the tubulars are 2nd hand and came pre glued and I believe they have dried up sealant in. Personally I wouldn't choose to fill my tyres with it, but I'd use it for repairs by the road.

I found some good threads on the site discussing what people carry with them, e.g.:
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=25545&start=105
I'm planning to copy Calnago by decanting some Orange Seal into a smaller Tufo bottle along with the hose and cap. I already have the Tufo bottle. Tests quoted show Orange Seal pretty much performed best across the board so I'm getting some of that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:33 am 

I always thought Bontrager TLR was the best. Although this test is different for dealing with tyres and inners, because it handles that best, I believe it would do even better with tubs:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thin ... _4155.html
(indeed, orange is up there with bontrager!)

They come in 60 ml bottles and as per this from rolling resistance, I end up using 30ml per wheel:
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ss-sealant

That being said, I am now half tempted to try and empty the tyres out through the valve to get a weigh-in shot of 5220 grams instead of 5280, hahahaha!

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:33 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:10 pm 

This thread is highly inspiring, considering my 56cm Evo stock weighs 780g! I should be able to get my frame in the high 600g world after sanding, and my build parts are similar to what ya got on your 58! INSPIRATION!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1113 Next