4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Great job with the bars and plugs! I surveyed the market a little in the past and my general impression is that a post/saddle combo saves more weight than a bar/stem combo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Thanks - I copied your idea with the bar ends! Yeh definitely agree re combos. I'm just wondering if laying up enough carbon round the stem/bar will save much vs 4 small ti bolts and a few small alu inserts. Assume it's gonna be minimal, whereas I'd suppose saddle/post combo could save 50g over an already light setup. Although the weight of that Darimo post :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

If you are from the UK maybe you should contact

https://londoncarbonrepairs.co.uk/2014/11/

They have made some really light combos. See below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

godzuki26 wrote:If you are from the UK maybe you should contact
https://londoncarbonrepairs.co.uk/2014/11/

I did contact them a while back. They told me they cut off the post below the metal insert, which unfortunately would mean I wouldn't have enough seatpost to achieve my correct saddle height. Berk can sort me out with a new carbon tube and do the bonding job by the sound of it. I've sent off all my particulars to ensure we can get what I need, but just waiting to confirm the final details.

On my doormat this week, I got something nice...
I swore I wouldn't go non-sram on the cassette, but for the price I paid, the weight savings are very impressive. I'll wait til next season and use it with a new PYC chain (edit: cut to 108 links = 215.6g), which is a few grams lighter than my old KMC. I was expecting the weight to be 120g for an 11-27, so 101g + 4g for my Extralite lockring is amazing. The recon lockring is 0.5g heavier.
Unfortunately when installing it, I needed to use a couple of spacers adding 3.2g. I guess making the cassette narrow helps save weight!

While I think about it, my Extralite lockring is red anodized (to match some accents on my old bike), what's the best way the get it back to silver? Acetone? Any foreseeable issues removing the coating?
Last edited by 4ibanez on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:56 am, edited 6 times in total.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Lots of cool stuff going on in this thread, keep it up!

In my experience and from what I've seen, you might save around 8-10g when integrating the handlebar to the stem. But of course there are lots of variables, like weight of existing faceplate, carbon layup etc.

About the anodizing, perhaps this video I made some time ago can help. It's super easy.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaY6z6NlWWL ... dangerholm

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

You can just wet sand the colour off. If you have a Dremel then use that. Just use finer paper to get a better finish , no one is really going to see it anyway. The only thing with super light lock rings is that they do tend to come loose. Keep an eye to make sure it’s tight.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Yeeeeerrrrsssss! 2016 hi-mod fork on order. Direct from Cannondale, separated from its frame (demo bike) and with a few scratches to the paintwork. But paint won't be a problem when I'm finished with it! Apparently it's going to take a few weeks to arrive for some reason. Should save 40-50g once cut to length and stripped.

gotgame

by gotgame

you should drill also some holes in the frameset ... there will be also few grams to shed

just kidding :)
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

garjo

by garjo

4ibanez wrote:Yeeeeerrrrsssss! 2016 hi-mod fork on order. Direct from Cannondale, separated from its frame (demo bike) and with a few scratches to the paintwork. But paint won't be a problem when I'm finished with it! Apparently it's going to take a few weeks to arrive for some reason. Should save 40-50g once cut to length and stripped.

Great! You should save at least 50/60 grams with it.
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

this build is insane. just curious did you order the cannondale fork from www.cannondale-parts.de ? they've got a 2016 black inc fork on stock and it's not crazy expensive.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

It looks like a CAAD12 fork which is not a HiMod. Same mold minus the high modulus carbon. Probably about 340 grams for that fork.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The caad12 black inc uses the hi mod fork
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

kantcantcamp wrote:this build is insane. just curious did you order the cannondale fork from http://www.cannondale-parts.de ? they've got a 2016 black inc fork on stock and it's not crazy expensive.

Thanks. I ordered the fork from an Evans Cycles right next to my office. I fully expected to be politely dismissed, but they got back in touch for the needed steerer length after contacting Cannondale. The one they tracked down was long enough, so happy days!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I razored and sanded the new fork. Sanding only saved 10g, and I cut 3cm off the (already cut) steerer, which lost another 10g. Pretty happy with the end result.

I lost just over 46g compared to the 2015 one. As I cut the steerer to sit under the top of the stem as per Cannondale instructions, I lost the little Tune magnesium spacer I was using. So about 47g saved overall.

garjo

by garjo

nice result , do you think to spray some clear coat for UV protection as done by Godzuki?
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com