4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I'd not ideally go out in the rain on this bike, but we all get caught now and then. I'll report back any issues with the hoods.

The bike is on the home-made bike stand (based on a Parktool design). Tripod stolen from a light stand. Pretty much stripped all components now ready to roll. My apologies for the slow progress from now on!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

The midweek lull kicked in, but I got hold of an FSA SL upper bearing, which I saw Nifty post about. I was a bit concerned about fit as stack is almost +2mm over OEM, but it fits fine and is just seated further down (better) in the cup in the head tube. Only a small weight saving but was nice and cheap.

OEM

FSA SL 42×45°. I asked for black ano not red, but as it's hidden I guess it's no big problem, just a bit sloppy from Chain Reaction. Weight was borderline 13.9-14g. Mostly 13.9g but I snapped at the wrong time clearly!

Assume I need to use this ring, which was with my original headset but not one included with the new bearings...?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I did a bit of sanding on the head tube Sunday evening, but need to finish off the cable guides. They're a mish mash of metal and random bit of carbon on them - horrible! I'll spray them matt black when I finish the area. Edit: link broken - sorry!
Last edited by 4ibanez on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Update: slow progress but happy with the results so far. About 40g saved already on the frame.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Please, please, please don't murder this out in matte black!!! Strike a balance with some polished components like the sram red derailleurs.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

nvroadie wrote:Please, please, please don't murder this out in matte black!!! Strike a balance with some polished components like the sram red derailleurs.

Well I will be using the Red RD..."Unfortunately" the FD is going to have a carbon outer plate. I'll put up a build list as I get further. I'm just trying to squeeze in sanding the frame in what little spare time I have.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

How did the Extralite rings shift with the Specialized cranks and what chainring bolts did you use? I'm thinking of going with Extralite rings with my Lightning crank - which is pretty much the same and am looking for comparisons

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I spend most of my time in the big ring, so don't do loads of front shifting. I did throw the chain off once, but I think the FD had come a bit out of adjustment. It's a bit slower to upshift than Red chainrings for example, but I found it acceptable. I used red Extralite bolts (which are for sale here on WW). Only changed as I thought I'd stick with the THM bolts which came with the Clav. It was a very good weight for a reasonable price.

garjo

by garjo

Do you know the weight of non stripped naked frame? Mine, same color scheme but size 52, is around 760gr.
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

My scales (luggage scales I think) which are only accurate to 10g had my painted 58cm frame around 830g with hangars and bb guide. I re-weighed the (painted) frame with my THM PF30 bb (106g) and hangars and the frame came in at 940g so 830-835g is about right for mine in 58cm without bb.

Lastest picture with headtube and toptube sanded is about 795-800g (excluding bb). Downtube is making good progress and I'm predicting it'll then be about 760g. Hoping for around 730g or better when finished, which I think is superb for a XL frame with hangars. I'll try to find an accurate scale to weigh the finished frame as my weenie scale maxes out at 500g.

I've already got in some 303 to finish the frame with. Frustratingly I'm away over most of the long weekend, but hope to get more work done on Monday

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Little bit of tuning for the AX3000s in my downtime... Adjusters shortened a little and I replaced the ti bolt for the front with an aluminium one. Only just over 1.5g saved for the 2 mods, but every little helps! Next stop - carbon bolts for the pad holders! :twisted:
Ti:
Aluminum:

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Update on the sanding. Weight is now around 775g (although that was before I fully finished the downtube). Frame is a 58cm -XL. I have a Parktool desktop scale in the post which will give me a +/-1g weight. Hoping to finish up sanding at the weekend!
Edit: sorry pic has died! Blame Imgur.
Last edited by 4ibanez on Fri May 12, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZR3

by AZR3

Looking good, love the look of a bare frame

Edit-didn't you use a razor blade at all or has it all been sandpaper?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

AZR3 wrote:Looking good, love the look of a bare frame
Edit-didn't you use a razor blade at all or has it all been sandpaper?

Thanks. Nope just sanded it, not a razor in sight. I started on the forks using 240, but it was taking an age to cut through the clear and begin to eat into the paint, so I switched to 100 and then 80 when I got braver. Once progressing I switch to 400 and then will finish with some 1200 and maybe finally some emery paper if I can be bothered!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

Cool, thanks, I've contemplated doing the same but not sure I have the "stones" lol