2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL2 (XS)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

JS300
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm
Location: NYC to Seoul

by JS300

UPDATE 2018-01-30:

Here's how the bike currently sits:

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL2 (XS)
Ultegra 6800 levers, F&R derailleurs, brakes
Dura Ace 9000 pedals: 249g
Dura Ace 9000 crankset 52-36, 165mm: 631g
Dura Ace 9000 11-28 cassette: 195g
Giant Contact SLR Carbon handlebars (40cm): 181g
Giant Contact SLR Carbon stem (80mm): 122g
Supacaz bartape
Giant Aircap expander: 15g and cut steerer tube (-55g)
Giant SLR 1 Climbing Wheels (30mm) w/rim tape: 1425g
Vittoria Corsa G+ clinchers (25C): 500g/pair
Continental Race Light tubes: 148/pair
KCNC Titanium skewers: F 19g, R 21g
Garmin mount: 28g
Chinese carbon saddle: 103g
Jenson Elite Carbon cages: 24g, 23g

Current weight with pedals, cages, and Garmin mount: 6.595 kg

Image

Image

Image

Image


Original post:

My first time posting my bike here. I bought a new 2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL2 a little while ago. Giant is really cheap in Korea, so I got a really good deal, and I'm really loving the bike so far. My previous bike was a 2014 Cervelo S3. I rode that pretty much stock without much concern for weight, but the much lighter TCR has inspired me to make some changes. I've only done a few minor things so far, but I have a few more things planned.

Image

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL2 (XS)
Dura Ace 9000 pedals
Elite Cannibal Cages (41g, 42g)
K-Edge Garmin Mount (48g)
7147g

Serfas Phantom Carbon Saddle (166g) (-61g)
Jenson Elite Carbon Cages (24g, 23g) (-36g)
KCNC Titanium Skewers (F 19g, R 21g) (-100g)
Current weight with Pedals, cages, and Garmin mount: 6950g

Image

Coming soon:
I just got a good deal on a set of Dura Ace 9000 cranks in 165mm, as I've been wanting to try shorter cranks. I'm also planning to cut the steerer and replace the expander. I'm hoping these two changes gets me close to 6.8kg. I am also currently looking at a new cockpit setup, but I'm a bit limited with the 1.25" steerer. I'm also planning to change the Giant tubeless tire setup. I have a new set of Vittoria Corsa G+ tires, but I may wait until I get a new wheelset and keep the stock tubeless setup for winter/training. I am considering a Giant SLR 0 Aero wheelset, which will be a small weight penalty over the stock SLR 1 climbing wheel setup. Perhaps in the near future, I'll swap to a full Dura Ace 9000 setup.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by JS300 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:32 am, edited 9 times in total.

CrankAddictsRich
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Contact:

by CrankAddictsRich

I found this site to be pretty accurate in terms of Shimano component weights...

Swapping to the DA crank will get you 60 grams, but the levers will get you the same 60 grams and can usually be found for much cheaper.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

by Weenie


JS300
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm
Location: NYC to Seoul

by JS300

CrankAddictsRich wrote:I found this site to be pretty accurate in terms of Shimano component weights...

Swapping to the DA crank will get you 60 grams, but the levers will get you the same 60 grams and can usually be found for much cheaper.


Thanks! That site is really helpful. I already bought the DA crank, as I've been looking to try 165mm (vs the 170mm stock Ultegra cranks). The 5mm difference probably won't have a huge effect, but being short, I am hoping there might be some benefit. I found a DA crankset that was not much more expensive than Ultegra, so I bought it. I'm planning to install them in the next day or two.

I think I will look at swapping the rest of the groupset to DA later on. I figure it would be easier to replace the derailleurs, brakes, and levers at the same time rather than piecemeal.

ardi69gain
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:44 am

by ardi69gain

Really love the picture...

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

rick222
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 pm

by rick222

Beautiful Advanced SL

CrankAddictsRich
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Contact:

by CrankAddictsRich

JS300 wrote:Thanks! That site is really helpful. I already bought the DA crank, as I've been looking to try 165mm (vs the 170mm stock Ultegra cranks). The 5mm difference probably won't have a huge effect, but being short, I am hoping there might be some benefit. I found a DA crankset that was not much more expensive than Ultegra, so I bought it. I'm planning to install them in the next day or two.

I think I will look at swapping the rest of the groupset to DA later on. I figure it would be easier to replace the derailleurs, brakes, and levers at the same time rather than piecemeal.


Swapping the cranks for length is a good reason, especially if you got them for a good price. I mentioned the levers, only because it seemed like you were looking for some spots to save weight that weren't too costly. You can usually find DA levers, used but in great condition, for like $225 US on eBay. and then factor in selling your ultra levers and its not much money at all.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

spartan
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:52 am

by spartan

biggest ww change from dura-ace pedal to time expresso ti. 100gm but reduced durability ;(
Current Rides:

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

grumpus
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:31 am

by grumpus

Really nice picture. There is an endless amount of material written about crank length, but 165mm is usually a good match with an xs frame unless you have very long legs. I recently switched from 172.5 to 170, and I think I like the 170s better. Knees feel a little farther from the chest. It's only 2.5mm farther, and I probably can't really tell the difference, but I feel like I can tell the difference. Definitely lighter though

JS300
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm
Location: NYC to Seoul

by JS300

ardi69gain wrote:Really love the picture...

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk


rick222 wrote:Beautiful Advanced SL


Thanks!

CrankAddictsRich wrote:Swapping the cranks for length is a good reason, especially if you got them for a good price. I mentioned the levers, only because it seemed like you were looking for some spots to save weight that weren't too costly. You can usually find DA levers, used but in great condition, for like $225 US on eBay. and then factor in selling your ultra levers and its not much money at all.


Thanks for the additional info. I will keep a look out for a good deal on the levers (and the rest of the groupset). I installed the cranks today. I'll post an update shortly.

spartan wrote:biggest ww change from dura-ace pedal to time expresso ti. 100gm but reduced durability ;(


Thanks. I considered lighter pedals, but for now I'm happy with how solid and smooth the Dura-Ace are. But who knows, maybe I'll change my mind.

grumpus wrote:Really nice picture. There is an endless amount of material written about crank length, but 165mm is usually a good match with an xs frame unless you have very long legs. I recently switched from 172.5 to 170, and I think I like the 170s better. Knees feel a little farther from the chest. It's only 2.5mm farther, and I probably can't really tell the difference, but I feel like I can tell the difference. Definitely lighter though


Thanks. I installed the crankset today. I haven't had a chance to ride yet, but I will likely get out for a bit later today. My legs are definitely not long for my body. I've ridden 170s for the last 3 years without any issues, but I'm hoping the 165s will make some difference. We'll see.

JS300
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm
Location: NYC to Seoul

by JS300

I installed the 165mm Dura Ace crankset today and lost 56g. I also weighed my Dura Ace 9000 pedals while they were off. So here is a quick update.

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL2 (XS)
Dura Ace 9000 pedals: 249g
K-Edge Garmin Mount: 48g
Serfas Phantom Carbon Saddle: 166g (-61g)
Jenson Elite Carbon Cages: 24g, 23g
KCNC Titanium Skewers: F 19g, R 21g (-100g)
Dura Ace 9000 Crankset, 165mm: 631g (-56g)
Current weight with Pedals, cages, and Garmin mount: 6885g*

*There seems to be a slight discrepancy between my table top scale and hanging scale.

Image

Image

Old Ultegra 6800 170mm cranks - 687g:

Image

DA 9000 165mm cranks - 631g:

Image

DA 9000 pedals - 249g:

Image

JS300
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm
Location: NYC to Seoul

by JS300

As an update, I cut the steerer tube and replaced the stock expander with the glue in Giant Aircap expander. This saved 55g.

I also ordered a set of Giant SLR 0 Aero wheelset and a DA 9000 cassette from my local shop. They should arrive in a few days.

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL2 (XS)
Dura Ace 9000 pedals: 249g
K-Edge Garmin mount: 48g
Serfas Phantom Carbon saddle: 166g (-61g)
Jenson Elite Carbon cages: 24g, 23g
KCNC Titanium skewers: F 19g, R 21g (-100g)
Dura Ace 9000 crankset, 165mm: 631g (-56g)
Giant Aircap expander: 15g and cut steerer tube (-55g)
Current weight with pedals, cages, and Garmin mount: 6830g*

Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by JS300 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

totalcompactroad
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:12 pm

by totalcompactroad

How did you find fitting the aircap? I'm tempted to do it on mine but looks a bit fiddly

JS300
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm
Location: NYC to Seoul

by JS300

totalcompactroad wrote:How did you find fitting the aircap? I'm tempted to do it on mine but looks a bit fiddly


I actually just had my local shop do it when I went in to order my wheels. But watching him work on it, it seemed pretty straightforward. The glue sets in about 15 minutes, and everything feels solid once finished. And it is definitely light.

JS300
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:19 pm
Location: NYC to Seoul

by JS300

I got my Giant SLR 0 Aero Wheel in. I'm probably not going to make any more changes for a while and just enjoy riding.

The wheelset with a Dura Ace 9000 11-28 cassette, Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm tires, and Conti Race Light tubes put me 85g over my prior setup. The wheels ride great.

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL2 (XS)
Dura Ace 9000 pedals: 249g
K-Edge Garmin mount: 48g
Serfas Phantom Carbon saddle: 166g (-61g)
Jenson Elite Carbon cages: 24g, 23g
KCNC Titanium skewers: F 19g, R 21g (-100g)
Dura Ace 9000 crankset, 165mm: 631g (-56g)
Giant Aircap expander: 15g and cut steerer tube (-55g)
Giant SLR 0 Aero Wheel with Dura Ace 9000 11-28 cassette, Vittoria Corsa G+, and Conti Race Light (+85g)
Current weight with pedals, cages, and Garmin mount: 6915g

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by JS300 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaReef
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 am

by DaReef

It looks great. Good quality components at a reasonable weight. A bike built to ride.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post