Merida scultura evo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SyDo

by SyDo

Hi guys,

I was for long time only reader in WW, but after some inspirations on some members works with striping paint from their frame to make a raw look , I was decided to try it on my road bike. Another reason, which help to decide to do it was my recently crash, and crack in top tube, som frame is now in "bike hospital" for repairing damage, after that i will strip all paint and a raw carbon will by speraied with glossy clear coat and i have much time in evenings to strip paint from fork.

So this is my old frame Merida scultura evo 904 com, 2012 year, i hope that my first experiment with striping to raw carbon will be succesfull. here are few photos before i put it to repair i, was try strip few cm2, sorry for bad quality, next will be better :)

http://imgur.com/a/awR9V

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Welcome, I als have a 2012 Evo but a 909, curious to see how much weight you trim off by removing paint/clearcoat? Have often thought of doing similar but never been game to start, keep us informed.

SM
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SyDo

by SyDo

Hello, both frames my and yours are same, i Think 904, 906, 909.. means only, which groupset do you have on it.

fork was 427g and stripped to 396, i don´t know how much will be added by clearcoat.
and frame was 1051 in size L.....i am interesting too about finall weight because yes, stripping shave some weight but repair of top tube add some weight back...we will see.

now i can not decide if going only raw carbon without any decals, or put black gloss decals :"MERIDA" on downtube, and "SCULTURA" on top tube.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

SyDo wrote:Hello, both frames my and yours are same, i Think 904, 906, 909.. means only, which groupset do you have on it.

Ah-hah, that was my thought. With CC you've saved about 15 grams.......... so with the frame maybe circa.50??, with those numbers I probably prefer the factory colour scheme....... 100-150 grams, no doubt I would strip away.

SM
BB

Coffee & carbon

SyDo

by SyDo

Shawing weight is not my priority. Trustly, I do not care about it, but here is WW forum, som I "must" write something about weight :D

My decide to do this is fact , I very like that frame, it is my first road bike and I don´t want change that frame for another, but finish was really bad after years of hard using....racing, traveling...after last winter when i come home from Africa, trasporting by african buses and planes are non friendly for bikes :D So no new bike, but new coat and non basic look for my bike.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Yes, totally understand. I'm on my forth bike since the Evo, but it is still with me. I do also enjoy how it rides, may one day convert it to electronic but have no intention of selling it as it's not a "classic" and resale value would be limited.

SM
BB

Coffee & carbon

SyDo

by SyDo

Hi guys, alls work is done for now. Here are some pictures of complete bike. ...there is many upgrades for future, - FSA k force stem and handlebars ( will be stripped) ,full black bar tape, new wheels something 38-45 mm tubular, i am waiting for releasing new ultegra groupset too.

just for info frame after glossy finish is under 1kg. ...989 grams :)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

hey, I love what you have done with your bike. great work! While you are at it, you might want to get some lighter bottle cages too.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com