Filament Bikes

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jooo

by jooo

craddock wrote:The internal guide tube is a polymer material.

Thanks.

And yes, that colour is great :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

jever98 wrote:Jean-Claude Van Damme I like that colour!

Can you show how the clamp works?

:lol: wait did you just make a Fresh Prince of Bel Air reference?

Agreed on the colour tho. Stunning!

craddock
in the industry

by craddock

The latest creation from the workshop. The client wanted subtle branding and the fork design was inspired by an artwork by Ben Nicholson.
Campagnolo Record EPS V3
DT 180 carbon Ceramic
HED Belgium rims
ENVE seat post, stem and handlebar
Pirelli P-zero tyres
Chris King headset
Fizik Aliante saddle and endurance tape
Weight 7kg
ImageDSC01676 by Filament, on Flickr
ImageDSC01684 by Filament, on Flickr
ImageDSC01687 by Filament, on Flickr
ImageDSC01689 by Filament, on Flickr
ImageDSC01695 by Filament, on Flickr
ImageDSC01697 by Filament, on Flickr

jever98

by jever98

Very nice frame, as always :-). Can't say I'm keen on the high spoke count of the wheels and the upturned stem, to be honest, though.
----
No longer in the industry

rekhyt

by rekhyt

Given that the geometry fits the customer well i think it's a good compromise. Such a small frame leaves almost no options unless you want to ride with very limited seatpost extension.

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

I've just had a frame created by Richard (a nice little blue number) and the entire experience has been a pleasure. When I first contacted Richard my brief was simply to have a frameset as light as possible & I'm pleased to say he refused and spoke about ride quality & performance (although the weight is still pretty good imho, it was not the focus) Richard desired to provide me with a product he could also be proud of. Having discussed the spec of my components he genuinely seemed to be as excited as myself to see it finished... I've just seen the final pictures of the frameset and am waiting for it to be delivered.

Top bloke with great communication.
I will post pictures of the bike once built up.

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

Just received my Filament frame, it's stunning, a thing of beauty. Pictures do not do the craftsmanship and finish justice, Richard continues to be available to answer my questions which I appreciate greatly, I've started building already

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

Just received my Filament frame, it's stunning, a thing of beauty. Pictures do not do the craftsmanship and finish justice, Richard continues to be available to answer my questions which I appreciate greatly, I've started building already

jever98

by jever98

we want pics :-)
----

MrIzoard

by MrIzoard

Wow!
There are many beauties in this thread!

//U

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

I am the proud owner of the Filament Blue frameset posted earlier in this thread, the paint is a metallic and features a shine so deep it almost looks like its still wet.
The ride quality of the bike is simply sublime and I can't thank Richard enough for his work, it's everything I want from a bike, light, responsive and comfortable.

DuraAce 9150 Di2 with bar end junction box and oversized jockey wheels
Verve Infocrank Powermeter with Praxis rings
Schmolke Seatpost (TLO) The lightest one -- Waiting for MCFK seatpost
Syntace Stem 100mm -- Waiting for MCFK stem
3T Super Ergo Stealth Carbon Bars
Lightweight Meilenstein wheels
ee cycleworks brakes
Jagwire Elite brake cables.
S-Works Power saddle and MTB bandit toolkit with schmolke carbon bolts
Tune Bottle cages and schmolke carbon bolts.
Look Neo Carbon Pedals with titanium axles.

jever98

by jever98

Can't wait to see the picture of the complete bike! Out of curiosity : what's making you switch from the Schmolke to Mcfk seat post? My frame is being finished and I'm planning on a TLO.

Cheers
----

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

Ohh I wonder why the image did not display in the previous post, lets try again..

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

jever98 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:07 am
Can't wait to see the picture of the complete bike! Out of curiosity : what's making you switch from the Schmolke to Mcfk seat post? My frame is being finished and I'm planning on a TLO.

Cheers
Number of reasons, you have to use the maximum recommended torque to stop the post from moving even with carbon paste. When tightening the seatpost rails most standard hex tools rub the seatpost itself which makes for getting torque wrench or key in there rather interesting. The post has markings for the recommended clamping area, I enquired with regards to if it was safe to clamp on the line and I was advised that it was not. I was advised not to clamp anywhere near the line (why put it there?) Fitting a Di2 battery to the seatpost came with strong words of caution as well.
I have had light seatposts before including tune, MCFK and Schmolke models which were not the TLO and this just felt exceptionally delicate and fragile rather than exceptionally light and strong.
The conversations I had with the maker of this post and the manner in which it was expressed has put the fear of god into me and I lack faith in the product so much that I regularly check it when out on a ride.

When I received my frameset I discovered that I actually needed a 31.6 post while my TLO was a 27.2 as such needed to be shimmed. I was recommended a shim from a reputable company by my frame builder and utilized this without issue. A strong desire to get rid of the shim also played its part however the new post coming from Starbike is a MCFK and I must state that both have been exceptional in terms of answering my questions and concerns. I might gain a few grams but if it mattered that much to me I would not have painted the frame

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com