Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 6.26kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

philhul83

by philhul83

I bought the CF SLX 8.0 as a whole bike during the Olympic sale and stripped and sold the group set and wheels. I would have liked the electronic version so there wouldn't be any unused holes in the frame but the deal after selling the bits was too good to turn down. I wasn't too fussed about getting the integrated bars and stem.
I ordered it on 5th August 2016 and it arrived 22nd September. I did think about cancelling the order during the wait but am pleased I didn't!

I got it stripped and rebuilt in time for a trip to Mallorca at the beginning of October then it was put away over the winter and I have just finished finalising the fit in time for Spring.

It is 6.26kg as pictured and as follows:
Frame and Forks: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
Headset: Canyon ACROS
Seatpost: Canyon S13 VCLS CF
Stem: Canyon V13 90mm
Handlebars: Enve Compact 40cm
Saddle: Fizik Antares R5 Kium
Shifters and Derailleurs: SRAM eTap upgrade/gear kit
Cranks: SRAM Red 10sp 50/34
Brakes: SRAM Aerolink from 10sp groupset
Wheels: Lightweight Standard II
Tyres: Vittoria Corsa CX 25mm
Cassette: SRAM Force 11sp 11-26
Bottle Cages: Arundel Mandible
Handlebar Tape: Lizardskins
Garmin Mount: K Edge
Pedals: LOOK Keo 2 Max
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Chain: KMC X11 SL

Plans for this year are to get the bike under 6kg, which I plan to do with the following:
Saddle - the Antares came with the bike and I'm not too keen. Going to get a Berk Lupina padded.
Cassette - looking for a decent deal on a XG1190
Chanrings - I hate the silver ones that are on at the minute. Would like either Extralite or possibly Fibre Lyte
Pedals - fancy trying Time Xpresso 10 but would mean changing pedals on my other bikes too so undecided at present. Might just install titanium spindles on the LOOKs.

I'm not too bothered about going much lighter than that, I've got quite a bit of extra weight I can lose myself first!
Last edited by philhul83 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

livestrong1986

by livestrong1986

Would like either Extralite or possibly Fibre Lyte

:frightened:

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Great bike! looks amazing too.

philhul83

by philhul83

Thanks!

What's wrong with the Extralite or Fibre Lyte chainrings? They are black, and I get a nice weight loss too.

livestrong1986

by livestrong1986

philhul83 wrote:
What's wrong with the Extralite or Fibre Lyte chainrings? They are black, and I get a nice weight loss too.

They are not stiff , flexy and they are not safe.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

philhul83 wrote:I'm not too bothered about going much lighter than that, I've got quite a bit of extra weight I can lose myself first!

You can take that attitude right out of here, mister. :thumbup:

<><><><><>

Maybe it was Instagram or a forum somewhere, by the poster said "gray is the new white." Your bikes looks outstanding in gray plus it's got the "Lightweight" effect that can make just about any bike better.

For the saddle, I truly think you'd be happy with an unpadded Berk Lupina. I moved from a SSM Superleggera that has no give and it was a delight to ride. I replaced it with a Berk unpadded Lupina and find it even more comfortable. Skip the padding!

For brake cabling, I like Aican Bungarus. Very light.

philhul83

by philhul83

Thanks Johnny Rad!

I wish I had some way of trying the Berk saddle out first before committing.

I'm not at the point yet of looking at every last gram so happy to stay with the k edge for now. I would like a fetha for aesthetics when their website is up again though.

philhul83

by philhul83

Got some eBay carbon clinchers to save the Lightweights and tubs for best. Very pleased with them for the money. Loving riding the bike at the minute.

nonamed

by nonamed

Frame size?

philhul83

by philhul83

Small

kgt

by kgt

I would choose a longer stem. It looks like your saddle is way back, over the safety limit.

philhul83

by philhul83

kgt wrote:I would choose a longer stem. It looks like your saddle is way back, over the safety limit.

You are correct. Saddle is right on the limit but not over but I do need a 110mm stem (it ships with 90mm) and to move the saddle forward 20mm so that it replicates my Condor. It's perfectly rideable but I can feel the difference between the two.

kidrob

by kidrob

Looks great! What wheels are these exactly? Since Ebay links are not allowed could you send me it via PN? :)

philhul83

by philhul83

Can I post an item number? If so they are 322447768250. Rear needs truing already but that's not unexpected for the price. Hopefully they'll be fine after that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com