Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:
andreszucs wrote:...I can get away with running a medium frame, but I'm kind of in between sizes so in some aspects like seat tube length a large would be better. The reason I went for medium this time (my old Scale was a large) is that otherwise I don't get the bars as low as I want them. Will be running a 100mm -17degree on the Spark and a 105mm -25degree on the Scale since that frame actually has a slightly taller headtube.
I'm well aware that a fit like that is more drop than most would say is "right", but that's what I prefer. I also like to run the saddle quite far forward compared to most.

...let me guess, you are 1,79m? that's my height and I'm also in between M and L on the old 2011 Spark, same saddle position preference but my stem is a 70mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:...let me guess, you are 1,79m? that's my height and I'm also in between M and L on the old 2011 Spark, same saddle position preference but my stem is a 70mm.

Actually I'm 183cm, so definitely more towards a large according to their sizing guides. But since the seat post is just long enough for me on a medium and I can live with a kinda long stem, head tube height is what determined my frame size this time.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:
andreszucs wrote:...let me guess, you are 1,79m? that's my height and I'm also in between M and L on the old 2011 Spark, same saddle position preference but my stem is a 70mm.

Actually I'm 183cm, so definitely more towards a large according to their sizing guides. But since the seat post is just long enough for me on a medium and I can live with a kinda long stem, head tube height is what determined my frame size this time.

Quick correction that I'm 179cm on a Large 2011 spark, I need a 70mm stem, saddle all forward and the downside is that the old frame design has a top tube too high, so with both feet on the ground it barely clears .....I should be on a Medium....ho well!

grover

by grover

Sounds like one of those magic days! You go out for an hour and come home eight hours later. Funny how they often coincide with new bike day!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

You are killing us man....updates??

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:You are killing us man....updates??

Sorry, missed this!
Nothing new since I'm still waiting for the Berk parts to really finish the builds.

Got some 700km on the Spark now and it's a crazy bike. So fast and so much fun.
A couple of stand out first impressions:
- The new Spark frame - it's almost hard to believe it can be so stiff and responsive yet so light. Suspension feels great, pedal effective but active, and I've never ridden a fully that feels so much like a hardtail in lockout-mode.
- The Piccola brakes - this was probably the biggest surprise, hands down the best brakes I've had. And not just as in a bit better, I really think they are on a different level than XTR's or Sram Level or even Guide. First thing is that the lever action is sooo smooth and light. Seriously, they feel so light that when I rode my Sram Guide RS it was like going to mechanical. Second, the power beats those other brakes too. Especially the initial bite is just massive and requires very little force. They lack a little if you push them to do a full stop going up on the front wheel, but I think that comes down to the rotors I'm running.
- The wheels - not much to say but being stiff and that light, they make the bike climb so good.

Problems:
- Fox FIT4 cartridge - been having trouble with the lockout. Issue is that air somehow gets into the system so after 100-200km the fork lock outs about 20-30% down into it's travel. I've taken it apart and bled it twice, but didn't help. Currently running the cartridge from my other fork, which luckily enough works great. Of course it happens, but still it sucks buying top of the line products and they are faulty straight out of the box.
- Tune cranks - one of my cranksets turned out to have the tolerances of the axle diameter off. So when I first tried to install them they only went a couple of centimeters into the bearing and got stuck bad.
The real problem here is the completely non-existant customer service from Tune. I'll seriously never buy something from them again (and I've had a few Tune parts over the years) unless they re-invent the wheel and it's a product no one else makes.
It took one week for them to get back saying my email had been forwarded to their service department. The same morning I had gotten tired of waiting and simply sanded the axle down to the right tolerance with fine grit paper. I then sent a second email directly to the service guys adress, further explaining the issue and how I solved it.
In a nice tone I also added that I didn't care if I had voided the warranty, and also explained that when the axle got stuck one bearing (also Tune) got a little bit damaged and while it could be argued that it was me using too much force (the manual says not to, but been working with bikes for 16 years so..) it would never have happened if the product wasn't faulty.

Was hoping for at least an answer or maybe even an apology, best case being them offering a new bearing as goodwill. Several weeks later though and still no reply.
Funny thing is, when I emailed Tune last autumn asking questions related to buying the cranks, I got an answer the same day. :roll:

Anyway, will keep you posted when I get the last parts, then it's time for some final touches and of course taking some high quality pics. Oh, and see what weight they end up being. :lol:
Here it is in current state along with some nice company.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Check this out: https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/edc-tap

I'm considering doing this to my bike. I like this solution not only for the intended purpose but its also something interesting for weightweenies! isolating the idea of threading the steerer apart from the system...it does shave that g... lockring replaces starnut+bolt+cap, looks pretty cool and can be customized with any lockring at the rider's preferences, very nice!

Fox 32 fork has Alloy Steerer right?

valassinehn

by valassinehn

Great work Gullholm I read with very pleasure your 3d.
Which budget could it be to reach such a marvelous goal, example for a spark? 10K+?

marecej

by marecej

i'm building something similar and I'm nearing 15K without the customisations done here, so something like that would be my guess
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

ohadamirov

by ohadamirov

Well done!
Next time buy THM products - Lightning fast replys!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

ohadamirov wrote:Well done!
Next time buy THM products - Lightning fast replys!

Pretty cool that all of the sudden THM is at display, with the lunch of their new 78g road carbon stem...now your comment...

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Sorry for the lack of updates!
As you can guess, the bikes still aren't finished. For example had trouble with the shipping company for some things along with other delays and problems.
But it's getting close now, and yesterday I had the first ride on the Scale with some temporary parts since I need to get it ready for the biggest race of the season which is next weekend.

First impressions of it is... Well, it's FAST. It weighs 6,86kg at the moment (so it will be a lot lighter when finished) but is still incredibly stiff and responsive. Very impressed by the Acros hydraulic shifting too. The installation and bleeding was easy and the shifting is super precise and distinctive. The shifter feels great too, it's hard to explain but pushing the lever requires very little effort and just a short push. Also you can go through many gears with just one long push, in both directions. It was easy getting used to and felt very intuitive despite being so different from all other shifters on the market.
System weight after cutting the hydraulic lines is 280g.

The Spark has seen about 1700km so far and has been working great. Did a marathon race on it and it felt like I had the perfect bike. Personally I love the Twinloc system, used it almost as much as the shifter when racing.
I even put a dropper seat post and flat pedals and took it to the bike park one day, just for fun. So here's a couple of pics from that along with one of the Scale from yesterday.

andrezucs: Sorry, missed your post! I think a threaded steerer is quite nice, actually I had a couple of BMX bikes years ago that used the system. On these bikes I will just use an expander for installation though, and then remove it.

ohadamirov: Yep, no more Tune. I just wished THM would offer a crankset that looks a bit better for running a direct mount chainring!

valassinehn: Actually I haven't made any calculations (some things you don't want to know :lol: ) but I guess each bike is around 12,5k. So of course, it's very expensive but considering that many top-of-the-line stock bikes today are 10-11k and are a lot heavier than these, I don't think it's too bad.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

More side shots please!

Maxlawwk

by Maxlawwk

Holy! I have just registered this forum to show my respect to your tremendous work on pursing a low weight but yet normali-looking bike. Sub 7kg hardtail is completely another level of achievement. This post shows a bunch of niche brands I haven't heard of, enlightening me a new dimension of optimising a bike from various perspective.

Please keep us updated. Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

sexy bike