Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KaiGreene

by KaiGreene

andreszucs wrote:
tonytourist wrote:HOPP posted a picture of what I assume are your new brake levers. Super cool!

HAHA I saw that! I wrote on that post: '..... I suspect I know the client that ordered this with you guys!"

Hello Guys

The carbon levers are for my custom piccola, which will also weigh around ~ 142g. See it: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/scott-s ... 40/page-36
I also find Gustav should stay with aluminum lever. Continue so Gustav :thumbup: :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

doingitright

by doingitright

Can you share any more specific on the "matchmaker"? I cannot get my twinloc controls to have more overlap with the grips for easier thumb access.

[/quote]The Piccolas for the Spark got here yesterday, so today was spent tuning the Scott Twinloc remote! It's not 100% finished, might do some more work on the looks and shave a gram or two more, but very happy with the result. Cleaner looks now that it attaches to a Matchmaker and saved about 30% (20g) of the weight.
Have a look at this Youtube link for a better look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaUs2pft_kQ

Image[/quote]

Gullholm

by Gullholm

KaiGreene wrote:Hello Guys

The carbon levers are for my custom piccola, which will also weigh around ~ 142g. See it: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/scott-s ... 40/page-36
I also find Gustav should stay with aluminum lever. Continue so Gustav :thumbup: :beerchug:

In case you missed it, you guys better read that thread. So much amazing and unique tuning going on in there! I think I read the whole thing twice using google translation when I first found it haha.. :lol:
I mean, just look at this beauty.

doingitright wrote:Can you share any more specific on the "matchmaker"? I cannot get my twinloc controls to have more overlap with the grips for easier thumb access.

The process actually is quite straight forward, but there are three things needed to make it work.
- As you can see on the picture and on your stock Twinloc, the lever spring goes into a hole in the silver lever and into another hole close to the bar clamp. When you cut the clamp off, you have to move the spring, so a new hole is needed in the lever at a good place straight across from the matchmaker where another new hole will be. Tricky part here is not to drill too deep so you don't go through the lever, and then the spring needs to be cut a little bit.
- Securing it with one bolt, you have to stop the Twinloc from spinning when you push the levers. So you need to trim it down a bit, and also make sure there is a slot with edges in the matchmaker that it will fit into. Then you have to drill it and thread it so you can screw it onto the matchmaker. Another thing to keep in mind, depending on how the matchmaker attaches to the brake - here is where you have a little bit of room to adjust the angle of the whole thing.
- Clearance for the black lever. Depending on the brake, and how you angle the twinlo, there is a risk that when you lock the suspension the lever will hit the brake. This is why I took a little bit of material off from the lever as you can see, so that it doesn't hit the banjo on the brake. But this might not be a problem at all if you have another setup.

Hope this helps a bit at least. :beerchug:

poynt

by poynt

do you know what the savings are of the carbon levers and clamps are compared to the original alu ones? I assume Kai weighed the front brake to get it to 142g.

KaiGreene

by KaiGreene

poynt wrote:do you know what the savings are of the carbon levers and clamps are compared to the original alu ones? I assume Kai weighed the front brake to get it to 142g.

Carbon clamp saves 2g to the aluminum clamp.Carbon lever saves 5g to the aluminum lever. My brake calipers are not series as supplied by trickstuff. My tuning saves on the brake caliper 7g. My front Piccola now weighs 144.97g with 65cm line. I can still save on my brake caliper other ~ 2g.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

First combo is now finished!
-17/100mm MCFK stem bonded to 720mm Schmolke TLO - 178g.

Here are some pics from Mattias over at http://hellore.se/experimentalprototype/
The blue parts on the first pic are 3d printed and made to ensure a nice clean line between the bars and the bonded area.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That's insane!! Looks so good.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:That's insane!! Looks so good.

Thanks! Very happy with how it turned out, should look great on the bike. Especially the next combo for the Spark, where I've kept the Schmolke logos which will match the red and white theme perfectly.

Still waiting for the Berk seat/seat post combo and the Tune crank arm I've warrantied via Starbike. Season's pretty much over and the bikes aren't even finished. :roll: But soon haha...

At least I know the weight now for the bikes within a few grams, and I will be way below my weight goals. I'm 99,9% these will be the world's lightest 29" bikes (not counting rigid forks, Laufs or such things).

flashd

by flashd

Love the race kit!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

flashd wrote:Love the race kit!

Sorry, missed this post, but thanks haha!

So at last the Berk combo arrived, looks great and happy about the weight at 161,9g for 31,6x400ish. Would've been lighter without rails of course but really want the extra comfort on a bike like this so I think it's worth the weight penalty.

Also Tune couldn't provide new cranks for my BlackFoot warranty issue, so I've ordered RaceFace Next SL G4 to use on the Spark instead. Around 30g heavier but hopefully no more trouble as I've had with both my Tune cranks.
Mattias is making the last handle bar combo now so with that and the new cranks I can finally finish the bikes.

Will probably make a "stupid version" of each bike with a set of Furious Freds I got laying around, and then some various other setups with Thunder Burts, Rocket Ron's and of course the Dugast wheelset - just to have one super light version and still be able to show the weights with more realistic tires too.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Gullholm wrote:So at last the Berk combo arrived, looks great and happy about the weight at 161,9g for 31,6x400ish. Would've been lighter without rails of course but really want the extra comfort on a bike like this so I think it's worth the weight penalty.

How did you go about combo settings, like a seat angle, width, setback and saddle shape comfort? I suspect you should be quite sure about everything in order to commit. Especially when non-combo weights just 10-15g more.

Really love your and KaiGreene's bike, both serve as an inspiration for my ongoing open mold FS build, which would hit 9kg at best.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Klaster1 wrote:How did you go about combo settings, like a seat angle, width, setback and saddle shape comfort? I suspect you should be quite sure about everything in order to commit. Especially when non-combo weights just 10-15g more.

Really love your and KaiGreene's bike, both serve as an inspiration for my ongoing open mold FS build, which would hit 9kg at best.

Well I haven't had time to try it yet, but at first look it seems to be quite spot on. It actually was quite easy, I did a test with a regular post and a seat of similar shape, took all the measurements and sent them to Berk. And luckily for me he had an old prototype mould with this saddle shape (more curve compared to their other models) that's exactly what I want. But of course you should be quite sure of your fit on the bike.

Thanks a lot, and yes the work on his Scale is amazing. So much tuning going on there! And good luck with your new build, 9kg FS will make for a really fast and fun ride! :beerchug:

FreaK

by FreaK

re:the bit about the Blackfoot, does that mean as I seem to be gathering, that the Blackfoot cranks are discontinued?
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

Gullholm

by Gullholm

FreaK wrote:re:the bit about the Blackfoot, does that mean as I seem to be gathering, that the Blackfoot cranks are discontinued?

I'm not 100% sure but from what I understood it was something along the lines that the current version is discontinued/not available and that they might be working on an updated model but no word on when that might be released.

Believe it or not, the Spark is actually finished now. Only waiting to get the rear brake for the Scale back from Trickstuff, then both bikes are finished and will be presented properly with pics, vids and weights with different tire combos and so on.
But I can already say that this is for sure the worlds lightest full suspension 29"er, in the setup as pictured in the teaser below it's sub8kg even with Rocket Ron 2,25" SnakeSkin tires . Seriously, it's stupid light. :roll: :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Really amazing!!