Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:Slowly but steady getting the work done. Middle section left and then time for the final steps of sanding to get the finish nice and smooth. :beerchug:
Not looking forward to the area by the lower shock mount though... :lol:

Think this way; if you don't scrape that mid section off your final build might weight 8001g. You will never forgive yourself. Lol

I feel your pain, I needed 3 to 4 nights, over 2hours on each day to finish my frame.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:Think this way; if you don't scrape that mid section off your final build might weight 8001g. You will never forgive yourself. Lol

I feel your pain, I needed 3 to 4 nights, over 2hours on each day to finish my frame.

Haha that's very true. I will finish the work of course, but luckily without any real pressure since I'm now certain the bike will be way below 8kg in it's lightest configuration, and looks like it'll be below that with "standard" setup too! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:
andreszucs wrote:...the bike will be way below 8kg in it's lightest configuration, and looks like it'll be below that with "standard" setup too! :beerchug:

well that's exiting! nothing like a well calculated excel sheet to predict things...good stuff!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

At first glance, I was a little unsure if I would like the disorganized carbon pattern...but after the first interaction with sun light....I was instantly hooked! its also nice that it doesn't scratch that easy, and if it does is very easy to fix...just a light sanding and a quick polishing job.

ImageImage

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

(I'm saying this as a non-weight-weenie, why am I here anyway?)

A W E S O M E

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:At first glance, I was a little unsure if I would like the disorganized carbon pattern...but after the first interaction with sun light....I was instantly hooked! its also nice that it doesn't scratch that easy, and if it does is very easy to fix...just a light sanding and a quick polishing job.

Nice work! And yes, it takes some getting used to but the more I look at it the better I like it. And you're perfectly right about it being practical, super easy to fix. :thumbup:

Dr.Dos wrote:(I'm saying this as a non-weight-weenie, why am I here anyway?)

A W E S O M E

Thanks! And you're not alone, seems like lots of non-weightweenies are enjoying these builds. :beerchug:

Here are some details, since every gram counts. Extralite bolts that are 4.9g for 6pcs, together with an older version of the Ashima Ai2 160mm that came in at 132,1g for the pair.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

How about running a 140mm Ashima World's lightest (Ai2) on the back? mine is 59.2g. At least the old spark can work with that size. 67.2g is my other Ai2 as 160mm on the front....total 126.4g for the pair (used).

4.9g for 6 bolts is pretty good! ..and it looks like you could trim the bolts down a little more...I can see a tip left on the other side...lol.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:How about running a 140mm Ashima World's lightest (Ai2) on the back? mine is 59.2g. At least the old spark can work with that size. 67.2g is my other Ai2 as 160mm on the front....total 126.4g for the pair (used).

4.9g for 6 bolts is pretty good! ..and it looks like you could trim the bolts down a little more...I can see a tip left on the other side...lol.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be possible because of how the caliper mounts to the frame on the new ones. But I'm still happy with the weights, that's close to carbon rotor weight - except that these rotors actually work. :lol:
And yes the bolts could be trimmed a couple of millimeters, if I get the time and energy I will do it and save that gram too haha.

Got tired of having parts laying around everywhere so put the Scale on wheels today. So here's the only preview of the bike "complete" before I present it when it's all done.
The ShiftUp carbon axle for the fork was sent today, Extralite has now released Scott Boost axles so that's soon on it's way too. The parts from Hopp Carbon won't be long now, and then it's the just Berk parts and ShiftUp damper cartridge left. Some more work and some decals and then it will be finished, I really hope within 4-6 weeks.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

This has potential to be the nicest looking mountain bike ever! Polished fork legs against the Kashima coated stancions looks amazing and the frame is superb. I bet I'm almost as excited as you are to see it finished :thumbup:

poynt

by poynt

do you know what style/colour decals you have planned? I went with gloss black against the bare matt of the frame. But as you're going for a silver/carbon contrast maybe you have other plans for them.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:This has potential to be the nicest looking mountain bike ever! Polished fork legs against the Kashima coated stancions looks amazing and the frame is superb. I bet I'm almost as excited as you are to see it finished :thumbup:

Thanks man, really appreciate it! After seeing how well the wheels/fork/frame goes together I've started to think that too. Should only get better with the matching brakes and derailleur etc. And yes I really can't wait now, on tuesday it'll be 8 months since I got the first part in my hands for these builds... :roll:

poynt wrote:do you know what style/colour decals you have planned? I went with gloss black against the bare matt of the frame. But as you're going for a silver/carbon contrast maybe you have other plans for them.

That is super nice! However, as you guessed, this bike will get silver decals. I still haven't decided on design and placement yet though. I've had several ideas but, from super simple to more advanced designs, but we'll see. As for now, I want a clean look.
The Spark will get the same design as the Scale, but probably in white/red to match the DT Swiss wheels.

grover

by grover

Chrome decals/Gold outline?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

grover wrote:Chrome decals/Gold outline?

That would be for a eagle drivetrain I agree.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:
grover wrote:Chrome decals/Gold outline?

That would be for a eagle drivetrain I agree.

That was actually one of my first ideas, I even have an old (but never used) 24k gold plated Elite bottle cage I wanted to use as accent to that (even if it's heavy).
I still have it in the back of my head but I think the Kashima inners and Eggbeaters will be the only gold on there. Been going back and forth between chrome and more "regular flat silver" too.

But we'll see, so feel free to continue with suggestions!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I'd go silver rather than chrome for decals. Will the forks get fresh decals too? If so I'd go gloss silver on the frame and matte black on the forks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com