Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gullholm

by Gullholm

mattyNor wrote:Maybe a stupid question but why not just get silver spokes?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I know it may seem a strange thing to do, but that particular model is only available in black and that's the one I wanted to use - so hard work it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Maybe the polished spokes makes more sense together with these pics.
Extralite HyperBoost hubs in custom silver finish, along with the 77 Composites rims. Wish the rims would've been closer to the claimed 295g of course but still makes for a very light wheelset.

wingguy

by wingguy

poynt wrote:Having seen the claims by Scott that the new Scale would be 849g I was looking forward to seeing some 770g+ frames appearing, but it appears that the weight is similar to other yrs. I sanded down my Scale Premium 2011 M and managed to get it down to 816g from 892g with decals and a waxed finish.

In a way that seems like less progress than you'd expect... but remember a lot's changed since then. From a 26" 2011 Scale to a 2017 Scale 900 the chainstays are 15mm longer. That extra leverage has gotta have an impact on the reinforcement needed, especially given modern, gnarly as fuk XCO courses. And I think expectations have changed about what the frame needs to handle powerwise. Look at top level XCE riders and they're not far shy of track sprinters. They look like they spend as much time throwing weights around as turning pedals. And looking at the comparitive cross sections of the old and new Scales and it looks like STW and pure lateral stiffness will be far improved, even if overall weight is only a fraction lower.

In short... I'm still pretty impressed :P

poynt

by poynt

I understand and agree that the new frames will be no doubt stiffer etc, but my initial point was in relation to the now usual manufactures over estimated low weights. As WW's we have to have starting points and goals and it all becomes harder if we have to loose an extra 50 odd grams over what we thought was a given weight on a new and even lighter frame.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

wingguy wrote:In a way that seems like less progress than you'd expect... but remember a lot's changed since then. From a 26" 2011 Scale to a 2017 Scale 900 the chainstays are 15mm longer. That extra leverage has gotta have an impact on the reinforcement needed, especially given modern, gnarly as fuk XCO courses. And I think expectations have changed about what the frame needs to handle powerwise. Look at top level XCE riders and they're not far shy of track sprinters. They look like they spend as much time throwing weights around as turning pedals. And looking at the comparitive cross sections of the old and new Scales and it looks like STW and pure lateral stiffness will be far improved, even if overall weight is only a fraction lower.

In short... I'm still pretty impressed :P

Very good points, and yep, I'm still pretty impressed myself. It feels almost a bit unreal holding it in your hands, especially right after removing the sticker that says it's good for riders up to 128kg... :lol:

poynt: Fully agree with this too, even though I don't really think it's something new that manufacturers are too optimistic (to put it kindly) about the weight of their products. Almost always a disappointment for your inner weightweenie when getting new stuff haha.
In this case however, it seems that the frame weight itself is honest but the factory is putting way too much primer and paint on the frames. If you read the .pdf on Scotts website with all the info on the new Scale, they have a graph showing different paint weights. They claim the paint on the SL should be around 35g thanks to lightweight stickers compared to around 80g for a fully painted frame.
Since one guy dropped 91g when stripping the fully painted Scale WC then that's pretty close to the claimed 80g, but it looks like I will drop as much as 65-70g now when stripping mine. That's double the weight, and if the frame would've been painted with the claimed 35g the weight would've been very close to the claimed 849g complete frame weight.

I hope to have the frame ready by the end of the week with a new updated weight.

In the meantime, this is as far as my chemistry skills go. Not really ready for a Nobel prize but who doesn't enjoy making things smoke haha.
Anyone see what part this is? :beerchug:

(Obviously I failed embedding the video, sorry)
https://youtu.be/8epHmkDO490

godzuki26

by godzuki26

This is awesome!!!
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Acros A-GE 1x11 hydraulic shifting system for the Scale build, work in progress...

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Holy cow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris47

by chris47

Man! this is absolutely amazing, massive respect! :shock:

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Are you actually riding mtb with those rims? However this is amazing.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Thanks guys!

Kumppa wrote:Are you actually riding mtb with those rims? However this is amazing.

Haha well that's the plan! Been riding 3 seasons on DT Swiss 950T rims that weigh 328-330g, not really comparable since these are clinchers and a bit lighter but makes me think I can get away with rims this light. They are now sanded down and weigh 298,8g + 301,6g.

Good news - the paint on the frame really was super heavy compared to the claimed ca35g. The frame is now scraped and I've already dropped 80,6g and still have the final sanding to do.

poynt

by poynt

Gullholm wrote:Thanks guys!

Kumppa wrote:Are you actually riding mtb with those rims? However this is amazing.

Haha well that's the plan! Been riding 3 seasons on DT Swiss 950T rims that weigh 328-330g, not really comparable since these are clinchers and a bit lighter but makes me think I can get away with rims this light. They are now sanded down and weigh 298,8g + 301,6g.

Good news - the paint on the frame really was super heavy compared to the claimed ca35g. The frame is now scraped and I've already dropped 80,6g and still have the final sanding to do.

so you blade all the main paint off and then wet sand what remains. I found blading a lot quicker than just sanding alone. Can't wait to get started on mine.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

poynt wrote:so you blade all the main paint off and then wet sand what remains. I found blading a lot quicker than just sanding alone. Can't wait to get started on mine.

Exactly, but it still took me seriously forever to get it done haha. Maybe I'm more careful than you have to be, but since the frame is so incredibly thin pretty much all over I went over it with the blade, then sanded, then took the blade again, sanded (and again with blade if necessary) and then went on with several finer grit papers.

But, it was so worth it! Lost an unbelievable 95,4g!
Way more than the 35g I was expecting. In short, there was a lot of primer or whatever is being used to make the frame completely even and then the regular paint was quite thick too in places. So someone at the factory is obviously being a bit more generous with paint then what was probably intended.
In a way though, even more impressive by Scott since this means the actual frame is much lighter than expected.

788,5g including all hardware. Still not done though, waiting for lighter inserts etc to be made.

wingguy

by wingguy

Gullholm wrote:788,5g including all hardware.

Well *f##k* me sideways! :shock:

That's a frankly ridiculous achievment from Scott (and your sanding work). Outstanding :thumbup:

Gullholm

by Gullholm

wingguy wrote:
Gullholm wrote:788,5g including all hardware.

Well *f##k* me sideways! :shock:

That's a frankly ridiculous achievment from Scott (and your sanding work). Outstanding :thumbup:

That was pretty much my reaction too. :lol:
What makes it even more ridiculous is that the hardware is actually quite heavy, the frame alone weighs 721,5g. Then the brake mount is about 26g and the hanger 24g which leaves around 15-17g for the cable inserts depending on setup. So carbon derailleur hanger and frame inserts should get the total down to below 770g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com