Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stoney

by stoney

Wow! That is a beautiful and lust worthy bike. How does the Scale RC ride comfort wise compared to other hardtails you have ridden in the past?

Gullholm

by Gullholm

stoney wrote:Wow! That is a beautiful and lust worthy bike. How does the Scale RC ride comfort wise compared to other hardtails you have ridden in the past?

Thanks a lot! I come from the old Scale SL model, and I'd say this is a bit more comfortable. But most of the difference I probably have to give to the Schmolke seatpost, the flex in seatposts like that is very welcome. Otherwise I'd say it's surprisingly stiff, especially considering the weight, so the bike is very responsive. Super happy with how it rides.

So, as I said, the bike is finally finished!
6,22kg - making it the worlds lightest 29" mtb with front suspension.

Weights:
Furious Fred 2,1": 6222,7g
Thunder Burt 2,1": 6364,3g
Rocket Ron 2,25" LS: 6592,7g
Rocket Ron 2,25" SS: 6732,7g

By the way, some of you might remember how I said I wouldn't use Furious Freds and honestly I probably won't much for riding. But since I had an old pair laying around, I couldn't resist using them. But that's why I include weights with other tires too, and I especially like that it's UCI road bike illegal even with heavy SnakeSkin tires haha.
Quality pics will come later, but here's a video for you. Thanks for all the comments and support I've gotten from you guys during this build. :beerchug:

https://youtu.be/DBZef-mzLL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KaiGreene

by KaiGreene

Insanely great devotion in your two bike projects Gustav. Really great! Have fun with the Scale and Spark.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

KaiGreene wrote:Insanely great devotion in your two bike projects Gustav. Really great! Have fun with the Scale and Spark.

Thanks Axel, really means a lot coming from you! When people start talking about how the builds are crazy and the tuning etc, I often tell them to have a look at your bike. Some of your tuning is on an even greater level, and people are always impressed. So it was well deserved it got posted as "Bike of the week"!
Hope to see you at perhaps the Fahrrad Schau in Berlin or at some race next year.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Finally some good pictures of the bikes. Really happy with how the bike turned out, and amazed by the response the bikes have gotten.
It's hard to keep track but I think by now it's over 400k views on various Facebook and Instagram pages, with so many comments and reactions.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I am literally blown away by how amazing this turned out!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:I am literally blown away by how amazing this turned out!

Thanks, really! Took a while though.. :roll: :lol:
But of course worth it in the end.

Here's another especially nice pic of the Spark, looks so good with the Dugasts and against that blue background.

JScycle

by JScycle

Absolutely spectacular!

jooo

by jooo

alexdi wrote:I'm most covetous of the brakes and the hydraulic drivetrain.

Me too :mrgreen:

Have you tested them any more Gullholm?

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Thanks!

The hydraulic shifting is really amazing. I'm very fond of the ergonomics of the Sram shifters (the reason why I went XX1 instead of lighter XTR for the Spark) so wasn't sure what to expect from the Acros. Turns out it's great and very intuitive to use. It doesn't require much force from your thumb, but still is very distinct. And you get a bit spoiled being able to shift several gears in both directions with just one longer stroke motion.
The clutch mechanism is simpler and has less resistance than others, but still no dropped chain with my Garbaruk chain ring after almost 2000km with that system.

So all in all, it's a shame they've stopped making it because I'd seriously considering buying one more set. It really is that good.

The brakes was actually one of the biggest surprises with these bikes. Was hard to find much info when I ordered them, so wasn't sure what to expect.
Turns out they are much more powerful than any other competitor I've tried, and that while being lighter too. For example I used XTR on my old bike (same discs) and there's simply no going back, not even if I got XTRs for free. With the XTR using light discs like the Ashimas was a bit sketchy, with the Piccolas there's always power so with better discs you could probably use them for all mountain and enuro riding too.
They even felt more powerful than the Sram Guide RS I used on another bike earlier this year.

Another thing to mention is that the lever feel is extremely light, in a good way. Super smooth, much nicer than other brakes.

I've only got two negative things to say about them. They are expensive (but worth the price) and the aluminium banjo connections are quite sensitive. I managed to snap one when I was gonna shorten the hose, no big deal and haven't happened again but I'm not that clumsy while wrenching so was a bit surprised haha.
Would recommend these brakes to anyone.

SK5

by SK5

Awsme build man . Now you need to get it even lower ;) !!!

scant

by scant

Its been quite the journey & weird to think I've been avidly following this thread since march, it must have felt quite the wait for you Gullholm!

As a mountain biker myself its been exceptionally entertaining, informative & enjoyable watching both these bikes get finished. while its fun to check out the many lightweight road bikes on this forum, I enjoy the much less frequent MTB builds just that bit more. so congrats on both Gullholm, they're killer.

I'm genuinely surprised by the positive comments on pinkbike the last 2days. finally feels like people are more accepting that in the right circumstances light bikes are just fun to ride. Its sure this thread has given many people ideas & inspiration to work on their own lightweight dream builds. Its certainly inspired me & I dont readily hand out complements unless they truly deserve it :)

Gullholm

by Gullholm

scant wrote:Its been quite the journey & weird to think I've been avidly following this thread since march, it must have felt quite the wait for you Gullholm!

As a mountain biker myself its been exceptionally entertaining, informative & enjoyable watching both these bikes get finished. while its fun to check out the many lightweight road bikes on this forum, I enjoy the much less frequent MTB builds just that bit more. so congrats on both Gullholm, they're killer.

I'm genuinely surprised by the positive comments on pinkbike the last 2days. finally feels like people are more accepting that in the right circumstances light bikes are just fun to ride. Its sure this thread has given many people ideas & inspiration to work on their own lightweight dream builds. Its certainly inspired me & I dont readily hand out complements unless they truly deserve it :)

A long wait for sure. Of course it feels great personally to be finished with the bikes, and to just be able to go out and ride once spring comes, but I'm really surprised at the response and how big it all has become.
Especially with Pinkbike, being a long time member there, I know how harsh the comment section can be. So cool to see how basically everyone really liked both the bikes and the article itself with those guys being mostly trail/enduro/dh riders.
And no, I don't have hubris haha, but I think one reason to the positive response from people who aren't really weight weenies is that they see the bikes being used and that there's a bit of humor thrown in.

Either way, thanks for your comment man, I really really appreciate it!

t0ph0id

by t0ph0id

These are amazing!
Looking forward to seeing the Genius build as I'm considering getting one early next year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bream

by Bream

Really nice to read about these builds, kind of the build journey I'd like to undertake if I had the time and will power, fair play to you 8)