Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Narrowbars

by Narrowbars

Coming along nicely, been following it here and on Instagram #stalker ;)

I know you won't have missed it, but I assume those are alloy tubeless valves?

Keep going :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:I'd go silver rather than chrome for decals. Will the forks get fresh decals too? If so I'd go gloss silver on the frame and matte black on the forks.

Silver decals is indeed the plan, I think it will look cleaner than chrome. No decals for the forks, will just keep them stripped and polished like they are.

Narrowbars wrote:Coming along nicely, been following it here and on Instagram #stalker ;)

I know you won't have missed it, but I assume those are alloy tubeless valves?

Keep going :)

Haha thanks man. Instagram always gets updated first so that's the place to be. ;)

Yep, alloy Tune valves. They ended up being a bit on the short side but I think they'll work anyway. Used Orange Seal rim tape, the valves and tape was only 13,7g for the pair.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

+1 for chrome. Those forks are UNREAL
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

poynt

by poynt

will the chainrings need to have a coating, or will they need to be repolished quite often. I can't remeber, but did you strip your Extralite hubs or were they a special order.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

weeracerweenie wrote:+1 for chrome. Those forks are UNREAL

I go back and forth, at the moment I too think chrome. Will probably have to get some of both and try which one looks best. :lol:

poynt wrote:will the chainrings need to have a coating, or will they need to be repolished quite often. I can't remeber, but did you strip your Extralite hubs or were they a special order.

I won't coat them so they will need some polishing once in a while. Aluminium like that is much better though when it comes to how fast it oxidates compared to the magnesium alloy in the fork lowers, so it's not too bad.
The Extralites and Trickstuff brakes were special ordered though, so they are silver anodized.

Story is that the Garbaruk chainrings, although very nice on their own, had a slight champagne color tone to them compared to all my other polished/silver parts so today I removed the anodizing and polished them.
Here's a little video of the process and result.
https://youtu.be/vC7liaCVU7Q

poynt

by poynt

Finally got my new bars from Darimo, did a nice job getting them even under the original guestimate. 57g for a 540mm bar.
Only shorties for me, small and lite parts for a small and lite rider...I can now get the build going again, only forks to finish now. Can't wait to see your silver/carbon contrast version.

Image Image

Gullholm

by Gullholm

poynt wrote:Finally got my new bars from Darimo, did a nice job getting them even under the original guestimate. 57g for a 540mm bar.
Only shorties for me, small and lite parts for a small and lite rider...I can now get the build going again, only forks to finish now. Can't wait to see your silver/carbon contrast version.

Very nice, perfect match with the black frame decals.

Still haven't had the time to finish stripping the Spark, but I really hope to have it done by the end of this week.
Anyway, here's a small update with how the now polished chainring turned out together with the cranks. :beerchug:

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Why not using 3 bolts instead of 6, on brake disc?
I´m doing it on 3 seasons now with no probs.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Gullholm

by Gullholm

rainerhq wrote:Why not using 3 bolts instead of 6, on brake disc?
I´m doing it on 3 seasons now with no probs.

Most likely 3 bolts would be fine, but I do like not having to worry at all. Another reason is that, even though some always will complain about something, I really want these bikes to be quite "regular". So that when normal riders see them they don't go "Oh that's just some crazy weight weenie shit that isn't safe and cheating on blabla...". I want people to go "Damn, it's amazing what's possible with todays bikes".

Okay well, one upcoming thing most people will think is crazy and maybe not so safe, but more on that later... :lol:

Made some decals today. Theme will be "clean and fast looking" with both bikes having the same designs but different color schemes as you can see. Except for on the Sparks linkage there will only be these head tube decals and one more along the top tube.

The Spark frame is now stripped and ready btw, will post weights etc tomorrow!

TARE

by TARE

Keepin' the game light. Mad props!

evan326

by evan326

Are you making those decals yourself? I'm looking for someone who makes cannondale ones for a project I've got

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Superb! I didn't expect to like the chrome decals but I actually do.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

TARE wrote:Keepin' the game light. Mad props!

It's the only way. :wink: Thanks!

evan326 wrote:Are you making those decals yourself? I'm looking for someone who makes cannondale ones for a project I've got

I did talk to a local company first about having decals made, but started trying to come up with some nice design versions and before I knew it I found myself just making them myself. So those are actually just cut with knife and scissors.
I guess most local vinyl/company profile/etc shops could help you out, otherwise maybe some web shop like this.
http://speedydecal.com/

burglarboycie wrote:Superb! I didn't expect to like the chrome decals but I actually do.

My thought exactly. :lol: When seeing the bike starting to come together with all the polished components I realized chrome would probably be a better match than silver, and it turned out quite nicely. Only thing I don't like 100% about it is that sometimes due to reflections the decals kind of "disappears", but maybe it isn't that much of a problem outside and in sunshine.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Question: are you cloning all the parts for both bikes?

Hydraulic shifting on the spark also? polished Fox fork on both? I know that wheels will be different but I'm not sure about the rest. I have all my eyes on that Spark man...A sub 8kg FS 29er sounds like absolute perfection to me!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:Question: are you cloning all the parts for both bikes?

Hydraulic shifting on the spark also? polished Fox fork on both? I know that wheels will be different but I'm not sure about the rest. I have all my eyes on that Spark man...A sub 8kg FS 29er sounds like absolute perfection to me!

The Spark will get some different/heavier parts than the Scale.
Wheels: DT Tubulars with Dugast (1086g clinchers with Thunder Burt on the Scale)
Shifting: Sram XX1 (Acros on the Scale)
Fork: Black Fox 32 with Extralite axle (polished with ShiftUp carbon axle and Light-Cartridge on the Scale)
Pedals: Xpedo pedals (Eggbeaters on the Scale)
Seat combo: Schmolke post with Berk seat (integrated Berk combo on the Scale)

Except for this I think they'll be pretty much the same. Even with these parts I think the Spark will be sub8, and lower still (maybe around 7,7kg) if I build it up with the wheels and seat combo from the Scale.
Very curious to see how it is riding a FS that light! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com