Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

andreszucs wrote:Can you guys point us to the right link to see the 'Grigio Carbonio' frame? all see on google is a foldable carbon bike. :noidea:

You have to go Dream Bikes' Facebook page. Not much info yet, but you can see some pictures of the frame if you scroll quite far down in their gallery list. I don't think they're finished testing it though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

HaakonJohansen wrote:
andreszucs wrote:Can you guys point us to the right link to see the 'Grigio Carbonio' frame? all see on google is a foldable carbon bike. :noidea:

You have to go Dream Bikes' Facebook page. Not much info yet, but you can see some pictures of the frame if you scroll quite far down in their gallery list. I don't think they're finished testing it though.

Yep...now I remember bumping into that frame on internet a few weeks ago...just didn't know the name of it, thanks. I guess reputation speaks louder at this point right? I would also go with the Scale frame knowing their background.

mice20

by mice20

hi, how long the spokes exactly (77 carbon + extralite 28h wheels) I do one just like this.

THX THX THX :roll:
Gullholm wrote:
jdc5r wrote:Impressive dedication! :thumbup:

Thanks! I'd say it's a hobby bordering on passion/obsession. :roll: :lol:

deek wrote:I'm no materials expert, but isn't the fork lower magnesium? Usually you want some sort of coating on magnesium if it's going to see the elements.

It is indeed a magnesium alloy in the lowers. It does stay structurally sound without any coating, for example there is a patch without paint from factory on the inside of the left dropout (to make sure there's clearance for the rotor bolts I think). However it does oxidize a lot faster than a regular aluminium alloy and gets a rough almost grey/yellowish surface over time,
It can be polished but that means you have to keep doing it quite often if you care about the looks. :beerchug:

Anyway, as promised, here are the wheels!
So happy with how the clinchers turned out, a lot of hours put into sanding the spokes and rims. Can't wait to see how they look on the bike later on.

For the Scale: 77 Composites clincher rims 28h, Sapim CX Super and Extralite HyperBoost hubs.
1086,8g (front: 497,3g rear: 589,5g)

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

andreszucs wrote:
HaakonJohansen wrote:

Yep...now I remember bumping into that frame on internet a few weeks ago...just didn't know the name of it, thanks. I guess reputation speaks louder at this point right? I would also go with the Scale frame knowing their background.

I see what you mean. We have to consider that the frame is still being tested though, and there'll probably be a lot more info about it when it's available. Also, GrigioCarbonio is owned by a high end Italian carbon fiber manufacturer working in the aviation and auto industry. They supposedly even work with the Ferrari F1 team for some cockpit parts. I was told this by Dream Bikes, which claimed to have actually seen some of the work. Some of the carbon weave used in the Ferrari's cockpit do look very much like the GC's, so I do believe them. Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

mice20 wrote:hi, how long the spokes exactly (77 carbon + extralite 28h wheels) I do one just like this.
THX THX THX :roll:

Hey, I'll have to check what length I used, I'll get back to you later on that over PM.

Latest news on the bikes is that tomorrow I'll pick up the package from ShiftUp with their Light Cartridge, and my Hopp Carbon parts should be here any day now since they are shipped too. Then it's only the Berk parts missing, frustrating to be so close to having both bikes finished now but still not being able to build them up.

The Piccolas for the Spark got here yesterday, so today was spent tuning the Scott Twinloc remote! It's not 100% finished, might do some more work on the looks and shave a gram or two more, but very happy with the result. Cleaner looks now that it attaches to a Matchmaker and saved about 30% (20g) of the weight.
Have a look at this Youtube link for a better look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaUs2pft_kQ

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Love it!!! Each update is just getting better and better.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:Love it!!! Each update is just getting better and better.

Thank you! That put some pressure on me so I better deliver something right away haha...

Updated frame weight for the Scale, 768,6g including all hardware for running a normal setup (regular hanger, 1 flat frame insert and 1 insert for 1x brake/1xshifting and brake caliper bracket).
Stressful day so I forgot to take some good pics of all the Hopp parts, will do next week!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Spamming away with some more updates.

The XX1 derailleur for the Spark has now gone into version 2.0 thanks to some Hopp Carbon upgrades. Weight is now down to 197,0g compared to the starting weight of 245g.

The Fox 32SC for the Scale is also finished for the moment, with a cartridge and carbon axle from ShiftUp and volume spacer/air valve cap from Hopp. Will drop around 55g when cutting the steerer so final weight will be around 1250g. A bit heavier than I had hoped for but still a quite respectable weight, especially since it's a "regular" chassis/fork from one of the big brands.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

The derailleur is looking amazing, very nice weight savings on it too! The fork is just in another league altogether!! It looks incredible.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:The derailleur is looking amazing, very nice weight savings on it too! The fork is just in another league altogether!! It looks incredible.

Thanks man, but I wish I had some better tools for re-working the finish of the derailleur a bit. It's nice, but not perfect haha, at least when it comes to my work. The Hopp parts and Extralite pulleys of course look amazing. I personally loved the stealth logo he put on there.

Nice to hear the kind words about the fork too, was quite a few hours that was put into that one. :lol: Super happy with it though, looks even better in person. You get so used to seeing only painted forks that this one really pops, and even better together with the wheels.
It made me get all kinds of more or less crazy ideas for future projects already... :roll:

marecej

by marecej

how is the performance of the shiftup cartridge compared to original?
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

Gullholm

by Gullholm

marecej wrote:how is the performance of the shiftup cartridge compared to original?

I haven't had time to try it yet, so it'll be a while before I can answer that. ShiftUp was very good dealing with at least.

Anyway, I couldn't resist any longer so I built up the Spark temporarily so I can ride at least one of the bikes. I took the wheels from the Scale since I was eager to try them and it has the wrong handlebar combo etc so not finished yet but almost.
How it rides? Well, it was so much fun that my little test ride ended up being 145km. Just kept on riding. :beerchug:
7,79kg currently, as pictured.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's almost what I wanted to know...with the Scale wheels! Are the right bar/stem combo be even lighter?? how about the spark fork? what's the weight on that? ....and....Is that really your saddle height?

sorry...just too many question!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That is beautiful!! I don't blame you for such a long test ride, I'd never want to be off that bike if it was mine.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's almost what I wanted to know...with the Scale wheels! Are the right bar/stem combo be even lighter?? how about the spark fork? what's the weight on that? ....and....Is that really your saddle height?

sorry...just too many question!

Haha yes the plan is to, when I have the last parts, assemble two versions of the Spark (and takes pics etc of course). One with all the lightest parts from the Scale except for the derailleur, just to see how light it can be, and then one final build as the "daily driver" it will be with the DT Swiss wheels and so on.
These are just some cheap alu bars/stem I had laying around, it will later on have a one-piece Berk combo. The Scale fork is a bit lighter yes, but the ShiftUp cartridge isn't for remote interface so I won't be using that on this bike. I expect the Spark to be around 7,6kg in "light version" and just below 8kg in "heavy version".
It actually is my height, or at least within a few millimeters. I can get away with running a medium frame, but I'm kind of in between sizes so in some aspects like seat tube length a large would be better. The reason I went for medium this time (my old Scale was a large) is that otherwise I don't get the bars as low as I want them. Will be running a 100mm -17degree on the Spark and a 105mm -25degree on the Scale since that frame actually has a slightly taller headtube.
I'm well aware that a fit like that is more drop than most would say is "right", but that's what I prefer. I also like to run the saddle quite far forward compared to most.

No worries, that's one reason I made the thread! It's fun to discuss these things, and see different views! :beerchug:

burglarboycie wrote:That is beautiful!! I don't blame you for such a long test ride, I'd never want to be off that bike if it was mine.

Thanks! I think it will look great with the black/red/white wheels later on, to tie everything together with the red linkage! Well if I didn't run out of energy bars I probably would've kept going a bit longer haha. If you ever happen to be in the middle of Sweden, let me know and I'll at least let you ride it for a few hours. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com