Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:
andreszucs wrote:Question: are you cloning all the parts for both bikes?

Hydraulic shifting on the spark also? polished Fox fork on both? I know that wheels will be different but I'm not sure about the rest. I have all my eyes on that Spark man...A sub 8kg FS 29er sounds like absolute perfection to me!

The Spark will get some different/heavier parts than the Scale.
Wheels: DT Tubulars with Dugast (1086g clinchers with Thunder Burt on the Scale)
Shifting: Sram XX1 (Acros on the Scale)
Fork: Black Fox 32 with Extralite axle (polished with ShiftUp carbon axle and Light-Cartridge on the Scale)
Pedals: Xpedo pedals (Eggbeaters on the Scale)
Seat combo: Schmolke post with Berk seat (integrated Berk combo on the Scale)

Except for this I think they'll be pretty much the same. Even with these parts I think the Spark will be sub8, and lower still (maybe around 7,7kg) if I build it up with the wheels and seat combo from the Scale.
Very curious to see how it is riding a FS that light! :beerchug:

It will be interesting to know what would be the weight if the Spark gets all the Scale's parts. If you post the weight list for both later I'll do the homework myself...don't worry! lol....how about rear shock? will keep the fox? or Carbon DT swiss?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:It will be interesting to know what would be the weight if the Spark gets all the Scale's parts. If you post the weight list for both later I'll do the homework myself...don't worry! lol....how about rear shock? will keep the fox? or Carbon DT swiss?

No worries, of course I'll have lists for both bikes! :wink:
I'll keep the Fox, for two reasons. Sure it was some years ago that I had a DT Swiss but that one was probably the worst feeling rear shock I've ridden, so not very keen to take that chance again. Also, I haven't seen any other shocks yet that have the Trunnion mount and the quite special cable routing for the Twinloc.

The Spark frame stripped is 1660,8g including shock, decals, painted linkage and all hardware (brake caliper bracket, mech hanger and cable ports). Not including remote and cable.
Very impressive weight really.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:
andreszucs wrote:The Spark frame stripped is 1660,8g including shock, decals, painted linkage and all hardware (brake caliper bracket, mech hanger and cable ports). Not including remote and cable.
Very impressive weight really.

:shock: whats the Fox shock weight alone and shock hardware weight? mine were; Fox CTD 165mm stroke 203g + 17g of hardware, total 216.7g.

I just had this thought...maybe HOPP could make a custom carbon canister for the Fox shock? that would be pretty cool!

...and I agree on the DT Swiss vs Fox comparison. I'm trying the DT swiss SSD Carbon shock right now, came from a Fox CTD. I feel like the SSD is more of a linear stroke and I feel sort of an unnecessary plunge, it goes too far down on the bumps almost like a fully open on descent mode on the Fox. The Fox trail mode appear to hold you up sooner. I'm still debating with myself if that's something compromising enough to change it back to Fox. So far I appear to be getting use it and don't mind the difference.
Last edited by andreszucs on Tue May 09, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Random find, funny how they don't even list the stock Scott spark. While they are fighting over 240g difference here comes your frame to Drop another Half kilo below them all! True comedy!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

I actually forgot to weigh the rear shock, might do it later when I remove it again for cable routing.
There might be ways to make it lighter as you say or new models from other brands will become available, but in this case I don't really find it worth the effort to drop a couple of grams. If I was to spend more money on the Spark I'd probably do it on getting even lighter wheels or maybe going the ShiftUp route on the fork. :beerchug:

Interesting list, the S-Works really is a boat anchor. But I guess it won't be long until they release an updated version now.
Fun fact is that my 2016 Trek Fuel EX frame was 2237g, and that was an extremely capable bike. Wouldn't hesitate throwing in some laps in the bike park on that one.
Lightest competitor I've seen is the Unno fs prototype at 1695g including shock, but it isn't available yet of course.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote: ...Unno fs prototype at 1695g including shock, but it isn't available yet of course.

yeah Unno makes some very sexy frames!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Got a delivery from Dugast yesterday, so here's a preview of the Spark. Tires where a little bit heavier than I had hoped for but I still think it's possible to bring it in just below 8kg.

wingguy

by wingguy

The bike looks amazing! The wierd artifacts from trying to post process a shallow depth of field onto the background look very not amazing :wink:

That said, any chance of a close up around the BB/swingarm? Some cool carbon work around there...

Gullholm

by Gullholm

wingguy wrote:The bike looks amazing! The wierd artifacts from trying to post process a shallow depth of field onto the background look very not amazing :wink:

That said, any chance of a close up around the BB/swingarm? Some cool carbon work around there...

Thanks! Haha yes sorry about that, especially the last one turned out real bad. Apparently the portrait mode on the Iphone Plus have a strong dislike for carbon, spokes, grass, woodwork etc. Honestly I just use it since it most of the time looks good enough on Instagram (and that's where the pics go up first). But when the bikes are finished I'll let a friend who's a photographer take pics of the bikes so no worries - no weird artifacts then! :beerchug:

Here are some close ups. That was actually the fun part of stripping the frames, to at least get a glimpse of how they're made. As in where the joints are and so on.
There is still some primer (or whatever they use to even everything out before painting) around the lower linkage, I didn't remove all of it since I would've had go so deep, but other than that everything should be quite clear to see.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Your builds are truly amazing! Still I've got two questions.

1. Why don't you get some cheap parts (for at least one of the builds) to use while you're waiting for the missing parts to arrive? Seems to be a waaay to much waiting without being able to ride even one of them:S You must be the most patient person alive!

2. Am I correct to assume that you'll avoid all warranties on the frames and the fork when stripping them like that? If that's the case, doesn't this concern you? I mean, they're not exactly cheap frames, and with all this waiting time, you could probably almost get a GrigioCarbonio or a UNNO frame by the time you're finished (not really sure when they'll be ready of course, so I might be way off here).

Like I said though; your builds looks awesome and I guess they'll ride really great when they're finished!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

HaakonJohansen wrote:......

If you look at his Instagram, it looks like he is into cycling for quite a while and I'm sure he's got many other bikes to ride while he spend his garage time doing what he likes.

I would probably be doing the exact same thing with my money with all these expensive parts if I wasn't married to a detective wife and two kids under 5.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

HaakonJohansen wrote:Your builds are truly amazing! Still I've got two questions.

1. Why don't you get some cheap parts (for at least one of the builds) to use while you're waiting for the missing parts to arrive? Seems to be a waaay to much waiting without being able to ride even one of them:S You must be the most patient person alive!

2. Am I correct to assume that you'll avoid all warranties on the frames and the fork when stripping them like that? If that's the case, doesn't this concern you? I mean, they're not exactly cheap frames, and with all this waiting time, you could probably almost get a GrigioCarbonio or a UNNO frame by the time you're finished (not really sure when they'll be ready of course, so I might be way off here).

Like I said though; your builds looks awesome and I guess they'll ride really great when they're finished!

Thank you!
Now, to answer your questions, you're right that by now I could quite easily get at least one of them up and running but there are basically three reasons to why I haven't yet.
- The optimist in me who keeps going "Just another couple of weeks and then they'll be done"
- Just like andrezucs says, luckily I do have a third bike. Nothing to race on but it's good enough for my training. So even if I'm getting a bit stressed since race season has started, I can get most of my training in and my only real goal for the season is the biggest Marathon race (CykelVasan) in Sweden but that's in August so no worries there yet.
- The perfectionist/nerd/builder in me who after all this time thinking, planning and picturing the bikes wants them truly finished. To take the pics, to get the first ride on them just as they're supposed to be and most importantly I guess - to finally get that feeling when tightening the last screw get to think that "Wow, they're finished and they turned out awesome" haha.

But honestly it's a bit of a shame, because it has taken a bit too long now and that has taken some of the fun of out of this. Even my patience has it's limits. :roll:

As for the stripping of everything, yes it does void the warranty. But I'm willing to take a gamble on it, partly because I've very rarely broken something ever and if I do manage to break something hopefully it can be repaired. I live close to Mattias Hellöre of Experimental Prototype, who among many things is an expert at repairing carbon frames and parts, so unless I make something completely explode I should be able to let him work his magic.
I would love to get a UNNO, and even though the Grigio Carbonio is crazy light I don't like how it looks. But actually I ordered the frames in August last year already, and at that time the UNNO felt far away and I hadn't even heard of Grigio Carbonio so.

andreszucs wrote:If you look at his Instagram, it looks like he is into cycling for quite a while and I'm sure he's got many other bikes to ride while he spend his garage time doing what he likes.

I would probably be doing the exact same thing with my money with all these expensive parts if I wasn't married to a detective wife and two kids under 5.

I've heard about those detective wives... Seems impossible to sneak a single expensive bike part home without them noticing. :wink: So I figured I had to do these builds now that I had the chance, who knows if it'll be possible another year. :lol:

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Thanks for a detailed answer;) I really hope (and think) you'll be very happy with the bikes when they're done. I understand what you mean about the GrigioCarbonio's looks, but I'd really like to try out that frame for my next build. I do think it'll look better in a larger size though, and I'll probably need L/XL myself. Their rims looks amazing as well. Around the same weight as the 77 Composites, I think, and without a weight limit! Plus I'm an Italophile;P

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Can you guys point us to the right link to see the 'Grigio Carbonio' frame? all see on google is a foldable carbon bike. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:I've heard about those detective wives... Seems impossible to sneak a single expensive bike part home without them noticing. :wink: So I figured I had to do these builds now that I had the chance, who knows if it'll be possible another year. :lol:

Wise!