KWalker's Stinner Hyperspace "Forever Bike"

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Rondje

by Rondje

Those details look awesome! Really dig the hyperspace stars which you don't see on a total bike shot.

Ulver

by Ulver

Very cool :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

Lovely paint.

RazorL

by RazorL

Not really my kind of bike buth your eye for details and component choice is :thumbup:

michel2

by michel2

im curious to know , how many layers and work went in to the paint job ?its a work of art ! enjoy

KWalker

by KWalker

From what I understand Stinner had a custom mask designed in which each stripe was placed as vector art. They then applied the mask to the bike and hand selected which stripes to use where as it is hard to know how the curvature influences the image. A bunch were then hand-masked. As you can tell in the shots, but not unless you look close, the downtube has a bunch of stripes on it's top, which were hand laid. The metal flake was custom mixed for the frame as well since the idea was not to oversaturate the "stars" and make the whole thing a giant Christmas ornament glitter-wise. Apparently the amount of work that went into the paint plus the cost of the chameleon paint would run a normal customer ~$3500. I have no idea what custom paint runs on bikes, but I guess it was THAT laborious.

A few delays in the build and might have to swap to an offset post, but if everything goes well I should be able to ride the bike by Friday.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

mile2424

by mile2424

KWalker wrote:From what I understand Stinner had a custom mask designed in which each stripe was placed as vector art. They then applied the mask to the bike and hand selected which stripes to use where as it is hard to know how the curvature influences the image. A bunch were then hand-masked. As you can tell in the shots, but not unless you look close, the downtube has a bunch of stripes on it's top, which were hand laid. The metal flake was custom mixed for the frame as well since the idea was not to oversaturate the "stars" and make the whole thing a giant Christmas ornament glitter-wise. Apparently the amount of work that went into the paint plus the cost of the chameleon paint would run a normal customer ~$3500. I have no idea what custom paint runs on bikes, but I guess it was THAT laborious.

A few delays in the build and might have to swap to an offset post, but if everything goes well I should be able to ride the bike by Friday.

Doesn't sound too outrageous but definitely on the higher end cost wise. I have heard of a simple color costing $800-1200 or so. My Martini Shiv was around 3k. My Red Bull Shiv had 150 hours of work including prep, so the price can get up there.

KWalker

by KWalker

I got lucky on pricing since it was a rush/show build, but have no frame of reference. All I know is that it is clear a hell of a lot of work went into just the masking. The frame isn't zany bright in your face colors, blocks, fades, etc., but at the same time probably had a lot more work into it to accomplish the result.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

romalor

by romalor

love your bike
but would have gone stainless steel or titanium for a '' forever bike '' :)

KWalker

by KWalker

Why? Rust is really a non-issue long term. Ti might be a bit lighter, but even when I asked builders who make both, none recommended Ti given how I wanted the bike to ride. I'm sure a $7k+ Firefly might be rad, but that's just not an amount I want to spend.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Valy

by Valy

It depends a lot where you ride. In the UK north east it can be wet a lot of the time, coupled with salt on the roads in "winter" (long autumn) it combines to make me paranoid about weather proofing the inside of the frame.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

You still don't need to worry about steel. Even living near the harbour in an already humid Sydney, steel is fine.

Marin

by Marin

Rust will be an issue if it's a "forever bike" and you live more than 10 more years.

Does Stinner do any rustproofing? If not, it might pay to add some yourself.

kytyree

by kytyree

Beautiful bike, original and love the detail in the close ups of the frame

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

yes, Stinner does a few rounds of rust-proofing. Forever bike is more a joke on the moniker plus the fact that I've had a shitload of bikes.

Fitting and first ride tomorrow. Hopefully then can finalize the seatpost. Have mandible cages on the way as the Dave-O looked weird with the frame.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike