Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 pm 

KWalker wrote:
A few studio shots while some unforseen build details sort themselves out:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/qIEGJJUl.jpg[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/iJhV511l.jpg[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/3LZPIfSl.jpg[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/YvSghCnl.jpg[/img

Wow, stunning paintwork! Can't wait to see the final build!

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 pm 

KWalker wrote:
Why? Rust is really a non-issue long term. Ti might be a bit lighter, but even when I asked builders who make both, none recommended Ti given how I wanted the bike to ride. I'm sure a $7k+ Firefly might be rad, but that's just not an amount I want to spend.

Well I've had a old colnago master from the 90'S great bike and geometry but in Belgium paint get chips and after a few years rust is there .
Wasn't specially thinking about Ti more something like reynolds 953 931 or columbus xcr
So not 7K$ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:47 pm 

Again, I care how it rides most. I've been told a lot of XCR bikes and stainless bikes don't quite ride quite as "racy"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 pm 

Look at the numbers for xcr or reynolds 953 , you can build some great race bikes with it ....
Genesis Volare was made for the team continental etc

It's all about tubing diameter thickness and geometry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:00 pm 

How do numbers for tubesets translate beyond just that- numbers? Considering the number of builders I talked to and a pretty unanimous opinion that they felt it wouldn't build a better race bike, which is kinda what I wanted, it didn't seem worth the upgrade. That doesn't mean it is not worthwhile for other use cases, but I guess the way I described what I wanted wasn't one.

There have been quite a few snags with the build process that it's back in the shop, AGAIN. A few defective parts Shimano warrantied and then the shop botching the brake line trim are part of it. Then getting confirmation that I need hip surgery ASAP and being unable to ride without pain for two weeks have me not rushing on it a whole lot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:45 pm 

romalor wrote:
love your bike
but would have gone stainless steel or titanium for a '' forever bike '' :)

Valy wrote:
It depends a lot where you ride. In the UK north east it can be wet a lot of the time, coupled with salt on the roads in "winter" (long autumn) it combines to make me paranoid about weather proofing the inside of the frame.

Stinner and Baum both treat for corrosion (Baum I know for certain treat the same way car panels are treated) so while it can still rust, it's not going be like a raw steel tube that has simply been painted. The bikes will still last a damn long time.

KW, cannot wait to see it unveiled mate!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:42 pm 

Long story short- paint did not turn out how I had hoped for. Bike is getting stripped and returned to Stinner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:14 am 

"Fornever Bike" :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:22 am 

Oh no - is this the end or are they going to repaint?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:39 am 

First the bike arrived with a broken internal di2 cable and di2 battery. The rear piston was leaky. Shimano warrantied both, so my guess is that it was not Stinner's fault. In my past experience Shimano does not easily warranty things like this. Both were replaced, but the mechanic working on the bike had a heart attack. So, I never got to ride the bike.

They didn't want to repaint unless I paid full retail My argument was that the rendering specifically said "Line spacing near solid at front" and it turned out anything but that in my opinion. The key here is "in my opinion". I felt that the pictures supported this and, in person, was not very impressed with the paint. During the build process I got a mock-up at t-minus 4 days until paint. It was nowhere close to what we talked about and James went back to the drawing board. Noting that the vector art was taking a while he said, literally "you have to trust us at this point due to time". So I did.

Most of the time it looked like a black bike with green dirt streaks on it and, as shallow as it sounds, that is not what I was hoping for nor what I would want for a bike like this. The custom paint was free, yes, but in my opinion that doesn't mean I have to accept it especially given their published 30 day guarantee. I even said I'd accept a solid color, but they insisted I pay. So, the frame is going back, getting a refund, and building up something else that will have it's own thread in May.

This is what I was told: "Custom paint is really difficult and its extremely time consuming. When doing a custom paint scheme, thats the leap of faith that both parties have to take is that it might not turn out exactly how you envisioned. What the designer/painter is thinking can be different than what client wants and vise versa. Thats the beauty of handmade. Its an expression and a concept of an idea. Unlike fabrication where there are hard fast numbers, paint is the artistic side of the build where the are some unknowns. We ran with your idea to the best of our ability, in the time frame that we had, with the people that were involved. Hence, the no charge."

I get the time involved. I'd make concessions here or there. I sat and looked at the bike for a week before I even told my wife about my dissatisfaction. But I don't agree with this sentiment. I'd rather pay for something less complex and close to what I want, than accept something free that I really don't care for.

Mock-up:

Real life:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:13 am 

So disappointing. I feel for you, can't imagine the build up to be so let down. In saying that, discounting the paint it does look pretty good finally built up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:34 am 

When I saw the 1st photos of the paint, I thought cool concept but it needs more contrast. The Mock-up has the contract in colors and looks great, how they can think the colors in the paint job on the actual frame are even close to the Mock-up is beyond me.

Looks to me like they did this ..... "What the designer/painter is thinking can be different than what client wants"

Colnago Master X Light --> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=140479

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 am 

It needs more metal flake in the base or a lighter base. Or thicker lines. One of the two. Or both even.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:16 am 

I'm sorry to hear it didn't turn out quite how you wanted it. It's a very nice looking build all in all though I think. So, what's coming to replace it?

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:16 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19 am 

Looks super dull to me, such a shame it looked pretty nice under the good lighting. Let's hope your next frame will turn out much better.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next