Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 am 

I have some experience with custom paint on my bikes. Painting is MUCH harder than building a frame. Many experienced car/motorbike painters around here won't even touch bike frames.

My personal take-away: I will only design very simple paint schemes :)

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:29 pm 

Definitely. If I was told that it couldn't be done or there would be significant compromises then I'd pivot the design towards something that was doable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:31 pm 

burglarboycie wrote:
I'm sorry to hear it didn't turn out quite how you wanted it. It's a very nice looking build all in all though I think. So, what's coming to replace it?

I'll post a build thread when the concept is executed fully, but making a 70's lowrider themed bike using an off-the-shelf frame. Haven't fully committed to which frame yet but will order today and swap most of the parts over.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 pm 

^Dood, that will be a rad bika!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:29 pm 

Damn shame. Feel for you, man!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 pm 

Wouldn't be a Karsten thread without you changing your mind or something breaking. :D True story.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:46 pm 

Dang man this stinks. Sorry to hear about this. I love doing custom painted designs myself, and while I haven't run into this issue with the painter itself, I ran into a similar issue where I had a bike custom painted, sent it to a bike shop to do some special Di2 routing and assembly (in the early Di2 Days, 2011 maybe), received the bike from assembly and it had chipped the paint, the bars were clocked a full turn when shipped and the tight assembly had caused the paint to chip. Of course this was a huge labor of love for me with a lot of time and money involved. I blamed it on the shop's packaging. The shop blamed it on the painter and having soft or hard paint that would easily chip. To make matters worse, the shop then tried to use a local painter to fix the chip, and then sent the frame back to me and the colors did not match. So then we finally sent it back to my original painter and got the colors right. So totally feel your pain for a labor of love and such a personal project.

Sorry if I missed it, but is the builder or painter willing to repaint it for free for you? Or at least willing to give you a very significant discount on repainting? I would hope so. Don't settle for something simple, there is plenty of places out there or can pull off your paint scheme. I have used Censport who does motorsport helmets. Like someone else mentioned, he doesn't love doing bike frames because they are a PITA, but his work is top notch. Ron Jones from Specialized does great work as well, as well as Hot Tubes from what I have seen. Best of luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:49 pm 

"Sorry if I missed it, but is the builder or painter willing to repaint it for free for you?"

He already returned the frame for a refund, so what is done is done.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:07 pm 

53x12 wrote:
"Sorry if I missed it, but is the builder or painter willing to repaint it for free for you?"

He already returned the frame for a refund, so what is done is done.

Well then do the same scheme on the next frame with a competent painter who can pull it off as imagined. Definitely frustrating and a waste of time, but at least it sounds like you got your money back to start fresh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:51 pm 

Not entirely, but can't legally discuss that on the internet at the moment.

The entire experience completely burnt me out on road riding. I currently have no road bike nor do I intend on purchasing one in the near future. I mainly enjoy working on them, the odd MTB ride, and pro racing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:35 pm 

KWalker wrote:
The entire experience completely burnt me out on road riding. I currently have no road bike nor do I intend on purchasing one in the near future. I mainly enjoy working on them, the odd MTB ride, and pro racing.

Such a shame to let a paint job end your love of road riding.

Colnago Master X Light --> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=140479

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:47 pm 

KWalker wrote:

Wait, what? No way a piece of equipment can burn you out from riding. Maybe burn you out from piecing together a custom build. But riding, seriously? I have a few extra bikes. What size are you? I could let you borrow one while you wait for a new bike. Sad that you let this experience change your love for riding.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:23 pm 

It's not a paint job, but the entire financial/bank/legal dispute involved in the return. TBH I was fairly burnt out on the road scene anyways and with the destruction of my rear derailleur on my Tarmac and sale of that bike the day the Stinner arrived I was left with no road bike. I was riding the MTB, but with our weather the trails were iffy so I started rock climbing more than I already was. And realized that I did not want to invest $6k in the Open I had planned if it wasn't something that I absolutely wanted to do as much as I was.

So I decided to go day by day with what it is I wanted to do that day and honestly road riding never crossed my mind. I love bikes, commute by bike, and still own WW'd out Yeti that I ride twice a week for basic cardio and maybe some day I'll want to really get into road riding again, but for now I'd like to pursue sports that I find have a better community, challenge, and outcome for what I want at the moment. I also found that I had an issue with detaching from riding and training as much as I was when I cared about racing and was a bit bored of it all plus it made me very inflexible, selfish, and one dimensional.

As I said I still love the tech side of bikes and really enjoy working on them and still follow pro racing so it's not a complete departure. But it's the first time ever that my wife can remember where my weekend wasn't oriented around when I could ride, which is nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:54 pm 

Time to post the Yeti, even though it has Rovals..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:31 pm 

KWalker wrote:
It's not a paint job, but the entire financial/bank/legal dispute involved in the return. TBH I was fairly burnt out on the road scene anyways and with the destruction of my rear derailleur on my Tarmac and sale of that bike the day the Stinner arrived I was left with no road bike. I was riding the MTB, but with our weather the trails were iffy so I started rock climbing more than I already was. And realized that I did not want to invest $6k in the Open I had planned if it wasn't something that I absolutely wanted to do as much as I was.

So I decided to go day by day with what it is I wanted to do that day and honestly road riding never crossed my mind. I love bikes, commute by bike, and still own WW'd out Yeti that I ride twice a week for basic cardio and maybe some day I'll want to really get into road riding again, but for now I'd like to pursue sports that I find have a better community, challenge, and outcome for what I want at the moment. I also found that I had an issue with detaching from riding and training as much as I was when I cared about racing and was a bit bored of it all plus it made me very inflexible, selfish, and one dimensional.

As I said I still love the tech side of bikes and really enjoy working on them and still follow pro racing so it's not a complete departure. But it's the first time ever that my wife can remember where my weekend wasn't oriented around when I could ride, which is nice.

Sounds like you burnt yourself out and lost sight of the the joy and love for road cycling. If it is a true love of yours, it will come back.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:31 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next