Just another Addict

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

track01

by track01

Why did you post your Speedplay weights? :roll:

After seeing this I just lost some $$$ to upgrade my X pedals with some J&L spares from fleabay. :wink:
Can't resist :!:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Excellent finished (yeah, right) product. I'm a little surprised by the wheel choice!

Do you have a weight on your pedals after tuning?

anlimdy22

by anlimdy22

Imaking20 wrote:Excellent finished (yeah, right) product. I'm a little surprised by the wheel choice!

Do you have a weight on your pedals after tuning?

everything changed to ti should be 140g+

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Imaking20 wrote:I'm a little surprised by the wheel choice!

Yes, high zoot wheels are definitely on my list. Timing is TBD! :D

Then again, I'm also intrigued with an integrated stem / bar combo from Berk which ain't cheap!

Life can be hard to predict! If I knew that I'd build-up a new bike this season, I think I would've checked out lighter pedal or crank-based power options. At least I didn't break the bank when PowerTap was blowing out their GS rear hub last year at $299.

Why Reynolds Attack? I've had a couple sets of Reynolds wheels over the years and they've all been top-notch (DV UL tubies, Attack twice and Assault). Plus they're local to me here in Utah and that's nice.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

anlimdy22 wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:Do you have a weight on your pedals after tuning?

everything changed to ti should be 140g+

Sadly, I missed weighing and posting them. Seems I bought my current Speedplay Ti Zero pedals way back in 2012-2013 (!!!) and there's no posts here or pics on my HD. Shame on me! :noidea:

If the Ti Zeros are truly 82g/ea, that makes for 164g/set. Minus the 18g savings from the Ti butterflies and bolts (just $14 shipped including 8x Ti cleat bolts!) and my pedals should be ~146g/set.

As I look back, these pedals have been very good to me. I serviced them annually and re-built them with OEM parts 1-2 years ago. The only tuning is the butterflies and 4 mounting bolts that took off 18g.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Johnny Rad wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:I'm a little surprised by the wheel choice!

Yes, high zoot wheels are definitely on my list. Timing is TBD! :D

Then again, I'm also intrigued with an integrated stem / bar combo from Berk which ain't cheap!

Life can be hard to predict! If I knew that I'd build-up a new bike this season, I think I would've checked out lighter pedal or crank-based power options. At least I didn't break the bank when PowerTap was blowing out their GS rear hub last year at $299.

Why Reynolds Attack? I've had a couple sets of Reynolds wheels over the years and they've all been top-notch (DV UL tubies, Attack twice and Assault). Plus they're local to me here in Utah and that's nice.

I can appreciate Reynolds (just picked up my fifth set). Those clincher Attacks seem like a fine do it all setup and, honestly, makes your weight that much more impressive. Really looking forward to seeing something a little more fancy!

Thanks for the comments on the pedals! I may head back and give Speedplay a try. It's been a few years.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Replaced my Speedplay Zero cleats with new Zero walkable cleats this weekend. Turns out the walkables use shorter mounting bolts that are about 1/2 the length. The longer length J&L Ti bolts that I just bought are therefore too long. All in all, I saved 5g on my shoes by moving from OEM to J&L but have now added back a gram.

8 OEM mounting bolts for Speedplay walkable Zero cleats

8 OEM mounting bolts for Speedplay old-style (?) Zero cleats

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

^^^ Speedplay's walkable Zero cleats are working out fine. They do make walking easier, but certainly not foolproof! Will say that I've had to really crank down on the 4 mounting bolts per cleat tighter than expected to keep the cleat in place. These new mounting bolts are ~1/2 the length of the non-walkables so there's less of them to hold the cleat in place. All good now, but a smidge longer would've given them more bite...

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

This just in - 7g savings! Stop the presses...

Finally swapped out the factory Syncros / Scott seat post clamp (13g incl hardware) for a nice carbon piece from Pitor Smuda @ SMUD Carbon (13g incl hardware).

THIS ISN'T TRUE. I owe Piotr a most heart-felt apology. Once I went back through my email correspondence to find this answer, I see that I asked for a "single arm" seat post collar and that's exactly what he sent me. That was terrible of me... Piotr is a good guy and shipped it out quick enough to keep me happy. I wanted his twin-arm version (http://smud-carbon.eu/clampCL.html), but this is what showed up. Maybe his website is out-dated? The weight is good, so I'll happily keep this one. :D

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Probably gonna be a lot faster...

Kogel's 11t jockey wheels for SRAM Road.

Road report and OEM SRAM eTap jockey wheel weights to follow.

For the record, my Kogel BB86 PF still spins like a champ and (knock on wood) no creaking. [For the record, it lasted a year before developing a low torque creak. Replaced it with another Kogel.]

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Johnny Rad wrote:Kogel's 11t jockey wheels for SRAM Road.

Road report and OEM SRAM eTap jockey wheel weights to follow.

Saved a whopping 2g by moving from the OEM SRAM Blackbox ceramic (?) jockey wheels to Kogel...

Not sure what to say about a ride report, but the Kogel jockey wheels work as advertised. Plus they're blue. And that's cool. And probably fast.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Mep wrote:...Not even sure I understand how you're able to achieve that with 1.5kg wheels.
Changes coming! Hope to save 50-100g by changing out the Reynolds-branded hub and DT Aero Comp spokes for this and CX-Ray spokes.

[Ended up saving 58g on my front wheel when all was said and done - 51g on the hub and 7g on spokes.]

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaneChang

by KaneChang

Johnny Rad wrote:This just in - 7g savings! Stop the presses...

Finally swapped out the factory Syncros / Scott seat post clamp (13g incl hardware) for a nice carbon piece from Pitor Smuda @ SMUD Carbon (13g incl hardware).

Piotr is a good guy and shipped it out quick enough to keep me happy. I wanted his twin-arm version (http://smud-carbon.eu/clampCL.html), but this is what showed up. Maybe his website is out-dated? The weight is good, so I'll happily keep this one. :D

Hello, nice upgrade :thumbup:
What size do you choose? Thanks :beerchug:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

KaneChang wrote:Hello, nice upgrade :thumbup:

I ordered 30mm from Piotr @ Smud Carbon. It works as advertised.

And I owe Piotr a most heart-felt apology. Once I went back through my email correspondence to find this answer, I see that I asked for a "single arm" seat post collar and that's exactly what he sent me. That was terrible of me. I've edited my erroneous post above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KaneChang

by KaneChang

Johnny Rad wrote:
KaneChang wrote:Hello, nice upgrade :thumbup:

I ordered 30mm from Piotr @ Smud Carbon. It works as advertised.

And I owe Piotr a most heart-felt apology. Once I went back through my email correspondence to find this answer, I see that I asked for a "single arm" seat post collar and that's exactly what he sent me. That was terrible of me. I've edited my erroneous post above.

Thanks Johnny :beerchug: