Just another Addict

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Raceware Direct Garmin 31.8 bar mount for Garmin Edge 510/520/800/810/820 (15g). What a mouthful! Fortunately the product is good.

Surprisingly lost 6g moving from one of RWD's early 26.0 Garmin mounts to this one. Nope, no complaints coming from me.

Also moving to a Garmin 520 (64g) from a 500 (58g) but ditching the first-gen GSC-10 speed cadence sensor and arm (maybe ~10g?) on the chain stay. It'll be nice to not have to worry about that thing anymore. I'm planning to rely entirely on the data spit out by my Powertap GS rear hub. Now I'm an aero weenie? Nah!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Who needs water? Umm, me ... but the cages better not weigh too much or else I'll have to do my (poor) impression of a camel.

Here's my two new bottle cages from Carbonworks.de via fleabay that come in at ~6g/ea with another ~1g/ea for the two mounting bolts.

[A year later, I can happily report these cages are the real deal. Not a single bottle was ejected, but they aren't indestructible. Be careful with them and they'll work as advertised. I'm NOT planning to change them out to anything else. They're now available in matte and gloss finish plus carbonworks.de has added some sort of a thin sleeve over the carbon that is designed to increase durability at the expense of ~2-3g/ea or so.]

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

anlimdy22

by anlimdy22

i have these bottle cage too but the screw provided cannot use due to different thread.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Some seriously nice kit going on this build! I'm watching with interest.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

holy hell this is going to be awesome!!!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

:thumbup: :thumbup: Two-thumbs up!

Just returned from my initial test flight and all is good. I'm going to ride it "as is" for 1-2 weeks before doing anything drastic like cutting the steerer!

Early "ride and fit" thoughts on my Addict SL (keep in mind I'm not a bike reviewer!):
* Bike definitely feels more compliant and comfortable but never plush or mushy on poor tarmac. Maybe it's the 27.2 seatpost vs larger diameter seat tube and ISP of my old bike? Then again, Scott changed the geometry a tiny bit plus it's a different carbon lay-up.
* Bike was buzzy on one stretch of modestly poor road. Odd to be more compliant 95% most of the time, but not always. Maybe this is what "alive" feels like?
* Definitely feels like going with a 100mm stem over my previous 90mm was the right move, as the Lightweight bar indeed has less reach than my previous bar. Phew!
* Lightweight bar may take some getting used to ... feels like there's not much flat space just before the hoods because the bar starts to drop away pretty quickly. Probably much ado about nothing. [Turned out to be a loose fit between the stem and bar causing the bar to rotate... now it's good to go.]
* Berk-Composite Lupina seems like a big-time winner. Didn't think any saddle could be better than my time-tested SSM Superleggera, but this might be the one. [A year later, it's been nothing but awesome!]
* Happily the less expensive prev-gen Red22 crank (black and silver) looks good on my bike - balances nicely with the silver cassette and silver FD. The more expensive current all black Red22 crank wouldn't have looked as nice.
* Aican Bungarus brake cabling may have been cut too short for my EE brakes. Looks short. Can make the front stick closed while on the stand, but not on the road. Front lever feels dead. [A year later, I hear them creaking and crackling with big(ger) steering inputs. Annoying. I squirt a bit of lube at them, which works for a few weeks.]

To do list:
* Toe-in brake pads, shorten up the bar tape a bit, evaluate the Aican / EE install and experiment with various saddle to bar drops in preparation for trimming the steerer.
* Start selling off components from my prev bike that didn't get transferred to my new bike. Sad day, but happy day.
* Ride more so I can eat more girl scout cookies - it's that time of year in my town.
* Learn how to ride with power from my Powertap GS hub.

Oh, the bike weight? Looking good. Very good.

Stay tuned!
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:20 am, edited 6 times in total.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Awesome!! And yummy girlscout cookies!!

One day I would love to upgrade my cr1 to a Addict SL!

:)
:beerchug:

prebsy

by prebsy

I believe the 50t on the exogram weighs around 125g so you can save an easy 30g there if you want

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Lars K. P.

by Lars K. P.

Hi'

Do you have pictures of the complete build?
Lars K. P.

BikeSwan

by BikeSwan

Whether it's intentional or not, I like all the orange/red bits dotted around the build. Should tie everything together nicely when it's done. Can't wait for a full build pic.
Landyachtz 1146 Ti Custom
Argon 18 Dark Matter
YT Izzo Pro Race 29

. . . and a 500lb KTM :thumbup:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Lars K. P. wrote:Do you have pictures of the complete build?

Not, yet. It's built and I'm working on the fit. I'm eager to share pics, but don't want to post pics with an ugly untrimmed steerer. The horror!

BikeSwan wrote:...I like all the orange/red bits dotted around the build. Should tie everything together nicely when it's done.

Thanks! It's a handful of red stickers from the factory, but they look orange on my monitor too. The red is the only color going on with this matte black color scheme that definitely leans heavily to the bland side. I have so far resisted the urge to add red bits to my build, so we'll see if that was a good idea or not.

I saw a lot of really cool paint jobs at NAHBS, but kept thinking "oh they must add so much weight!"
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Great parts selection. Looking forward to photos!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Johnny Rad wrote:Not, yet. It's built and I'm working on the fit. I'm eager to share pics, but don't want to post pics with an ugly untrimmed steerer. The horror!

If this was elementary school you'd get a big shiny gold star sticker on your thread for the part in bold!

With that said, truly awesome build and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Etap doesn't spec a chain catcher so you could skip it and save 2g. :)

In my experience Praxis rings shift comparably to SRAM rings and are marginally lighter as well.

I thought Scott moved to all 1-1/4" steerers with their 16/17 Addict and Foil but yours isn't so I guess it's just the Foil. /shrug I do like Scott's design of the integrated bar-stem better than the Canyon design.

OTOH I wouldn't trust those cages to take an absent-mindedly slammed half-full bottle mid-sportive.

Look forward to photos of the completed bike. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

kkibbler wrote:Etap doesn't spec a chain catcher so you could skip it and save 2g.
I hear you! It's on there for "just in case" insurance since it's my new ride. Yes, I think eTap ships with one, but it wasn't carbon ... so out it went. Reasonable I dare say.
kkibbler wrote:In my experience Praxis rings shift comparably to SRAM rings and are marginally lighter as well.
Good to hear. I'm taking a mandatory pause to ponder "what's next." Seems my bank account turned me in for spending like a drunken sailor. (Apologies to all the drunk sailors our there. Cheers!)
kkibbler wrote:OTOH I wouldn't trust those cages to take an absent-mindedly slammed half-full bottle mid-sportive.
Seriously, my early thoughts are they're "good to go." However, I'm still taking it slow. The "absent-minded slamming" will accidentally come soon enough.

That's what she said! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0tXIOBAy5Mo
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.