Just another Addict

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

track01

by track01

Why did you post your Speedplay weights? :roll:

After seeing this I just lost some $$$ to upgrade my X pedals with some J&L spares from fleabay. :wink:
Can't resist :!:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Excellent finished (yeah, right) product. I'm a little surprised by the wheel choice!

Do you have a weight on your pedals after tuning?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anlimdy22

by anlimdy22

Imaking20 wrote:Excellent finished (yeah, right) product. I'm a little surprised by the wheel choice!

Do you have a weight on your pedals after tuning?

everything changed to ti should be 140g+

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Imaking20 wrote:I'm a little surprised by the wheel choice!

Yes, high zoot wheels are definitely on my list. Timing is TBD! :D

Then again, I'm also intrigued with an integrated stem / bar combo from Berk which ain't cheap!

Life can be hard to predict! If I knew that I'd build-up a new bike this season, I think I would've checked out lighter pedal or crank-based power options. At least I didn't break the bank when PowerTap was blowing out their GS rear hub last year at $299.

Why Reynolds Attack? I've had a couple sets of Reynolds wheels over the years and they've all been top-notch (DV UL tubies, Attack twice and Assault). Plus they're local to me here in Utah and that's nice.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

anlimdy22 wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:Do you have a weight on your pedals after tuning?

everything changed to ti should be 140g+

Sadly, I missed weighing and posting them. Seems I bought my current Speedplay Ti Zero pedals way back in 2012-2013 (!!!) and there's no posts here or pics on my HD. Shame on me! :noidea:

If the Ti Zeros are truly 82g/ea, that makes for 164g/set. Minus the 18g savings from the Ti butterflies and bolts (just $14 shipped including 8x Ti cleat bolts!) and my pedals should be ~146g/set.

As I look back, these pedals have been very good to me. I serviced them annually and re-built them with OEM parts 1-2 years ago. The only tuning is the butterflies and 4 mounting bolts that took off 18g.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Johnny Rad wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:I'm a little surprised by the wheel choice!

Yes, high zoot wheels are definitely on my list. Timing is TBD! :D

Then again, I'm also intrigued with an integrated stem / bar combo from Berk which ain't cheap!

Life can be hard to predict! If I knew that I'd build-up a new bike this season, I think I would've checked out lighter pedal or crank-based power options. At least I didn't break the bank when PowerTap was blowing out their GS rear hub last year at $299.

Why Reynolds Attack? I've had a couple sets of Reynolds wheels over the years and they've all been top-notch (DV UL tubies, Attack twice and Assault). Plus they're local to me here in Utah and that's nice.

I can appreciate Reynolds (just picked up my fifth set). Those clincher Attacks seem like a fine do it all setup and, honestly, makes your weight that much more impressive. Really looking forward to seeing something a little more fancy!

Thanks for the comments on the pedals! I may head back and give Speedplay a try. It's been a few years.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Replaced my Speedplay Zero cleats with new Zero walkable cleats this weekend. Turns out the walkables use shorter mounting bolts that are about 1/2 the length. The longer length J&L Ti bolts that I just bought are therefore too long. All in all, I saved 5g on my shoes by moving from OEM to J&L but have now added back a gram.

8 OEM mounting bolts for Speedplay walkable Zero cleats

8 OEM mounting bolts for Speedplay old-style (?) Zero cleats

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

^^^ Speedplay's walkable Zero cleats are working out fine. They do make walking easier, but certainly not foolproof! Will say that I've had to really crank down on the 4 mounting bolts per cleat tighter than expected to keep the cleat in place. These new mounting bolts are ~1/2 the length of the non-walkables so there's less of them to hold the cleat in place. All good now, but a smidge longer would've given them more bite...

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

This just in - 7g savings! Stop the presses...

Finally swapped out the factory Syncros / Scott seat post clamp (13g incl hardware) for a nice carbon piece from Pitor Smuda @ SMUD Carbon (13g incl hardware).

THIS ISN'T TRUE. I owe Piotr a most heart-felt apology. Once I went back through my email correspondence to find this answer, I see that I asked for a "single arm" seat post collar and that's exactly what he sent me. That was terrible of me... Piotr is a good guy and shipped it out quick enough to keep me happy. I wanted his twin-arm version (http://smud-carbon.eu/clampCL.html), but this is what showed up. Maybe his website is out-dated? The weight is good, so I'll happily keep this one. :D

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Probably gonna be a lot faster...

Kogel's 11t jockey wheels for SRAM Road.

Road report and OEM SRAM eTap jockey wheel weights to follow.

For the record, my Kogel BB86 PF still spins like a champ and (knock on wood) no creaking. [For the record, it lasted a year before developing a low torque creak. Replaced it with another Kogel.]

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Johnny Rad wrote:Kogel's 11t jockey wheels for SRAM Road.

Road report and OEM SRAM eTap jockey wheel weights to follow.

Saved a whopping 2g by moving from the OEM SRAM Blackbox ceramic (?) jockey wheels to Kogel...

Not sure what to say about a ride report, but the Kogel jockey wheels work as advertised. Plus they're blue. And that's cool. And probably fast.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Mep wrote:...Not even sure I understand how you're able to achieve that with 1.5kg wheels.
Changes coming! Hope to save 50-100g by changing out the Reynolds-branded hub and DT Aero Comp spokes for this and CX-Ray spokes.

[Ended up saving 58g on my front wheel when all was said and done - 51g on the hub and 7g on spokes.]

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaneChang

by KaneChang

Johnny Rad wrote:This just in - 7g savings! Stop the presses...

Finally swapped out the factory Syncros / Scott seat post clamp (13g incl hardware) for a nice carbon piece from Pitor Smuda @ SMUD Carbon (13g incl hardware).

Piotr is a good guy and shipped it out quick enough to keep me happy. I wanted his twin-arm version (http://smud-carbon.eu/clampCL.html), but this is what showed up. Maybe his website is out-dated? The weight is good, so I'll happily keep this one. :D

Hello, nice upgrade :thumbup:
What size do you choose? Thanks :beerchug:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

KaneChang wrote:Hello, nice upgrade :thumbup:

I ordered 30mm from Piotr @ Smud Carbon. It works as advertised.

And I owe Piotr a most heart-felt apology. Once I went back through my email correspondence to find this answer, I see that I asked for a "single arm" seat post collar and that's exactly what he sent me. That was terrible of me. I've edited my erroneous post above.

KaneChang

by KaneChang

Johnny Rad wrote:
KaneChang wrote:Hello, nice upgrade :thumbup:

I ordered 30mm from Piotr @ Smud Carbon. It works as advertised.

And I owe Piotr a most heart-felt apology. Once I went back through my email correspondence to find this answer, I see that I asked for a "single arm" seat post collar and that's exactly what he sent me. That was terrible of me. I've edited my erroneous post above.

Thanks Johnny :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com