Just another Addict

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mep

by Mep

Nice, very impressed with the weight. Not even sure I understand how you're able to achieve that with 1.5kg wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

godzuki26 wrote:Very well done. The new Addict SL is so much lighter than the version it replaced. I always wondered why we don't see more of these fantastic frames on this forum. 10 years ago the original Addict was a starting point frame for all weight weenies. The revised Addict is so much cleaner with the internal cable routing and semi aero profiles. I just love it.

What are some noticeable differences on ride quality and fit when compared to your retired RC build?

With 250mi on my new Addict now, I can happily report that all is well. The fit is good (benefit of sticking with essentially the same geometry) and the ride is pleasantly taut. When I (finally) find some fitness, we'll see how it ascends and descends.

The ride on my new Addict is more compliant the vast majority of the time. (My old Addict wasn't unruly, but it didn't have much "give." I have a funny memory about my first ride with it - felt like the tires were pumped up to 500psi!) My new Addict has a 27.2 seatpost vs an ISP, which is allegedly supposed to contribute to a more compliant ride. Furthermore, the chain stays are shaped differently and look like they're designed to flex up and down not side-to-side. They're still oval-ish, but they're squared off on the top and underside now.

I say it's more compliant most of the time because my new Addict acts very differently on some poor road conditions where there's very regular perpendicular cracks in the tarmac (maybe a bike length or two between each). The bike seems to get out of sorts when the bike is rhythmically hitting these one after the other - boom, boom, boom. I wonder if the "magic" up/down flex built into the chain stays gets out of "time." It's an oddity, since the ride is so much better otherwise.

For my new cockpit, it's a 100mm Extralite stem and 40cm x 31.8 Lightweight bar. I feel more flex sprinting in the drops than with my old cockpit (90mm Extralite and an old 40cm x 26.0 Kestrel bar). Not sure it matters, but I feel a difference.

While I'm talking about the cockpit, my new stem is longer but my LW bar has less reach (79mm vs 84-85?) so it's taking a bit of getting used to - the flats are 10mm further away than on my old bike due to the longer stem, but the shorter reach on the LW bar moderates the distance to the hoods and drops. As a result, I'm less hunched over in the drops and more stretched out overall, but my elbows are still nicely bent on the hoods.

Riding with Power for the first time is fun. I've got a lot to learn (!!!), but a riding partner with loads of experience is shepherding me through the learning curve. I hope that I don't ride scared, like I did many years ago when I first started with HRM. I was afraid of my shadow - every time my HR went up, I backed off the pace.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Mep wrote:Nice, very impressed with the weight. Not even sure I understand how you're able to achieve that with 1.5kg wheels.

Here's a money shot from my LBS. At that weight (12lbs 7oz) there are no cages, Garmin or mount that come in at an additional ~100g though it did have a too tall steerer and a hair more bar and bar tape than today's config. Even so, I think my LBS' scale is optimistic by an oz or two.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRWsTnEh7I6 ... ynncyclery

My LBS' scale pic was nice, but I weighed it all out again at home once it was dialed-in. I weighed the front wheel, rear wheel and built-up frame separately to arrive at my sub-5.7kg / 12.71lbs / 12lbs 11.5oz weight.

Arfer01

by Arfer01

godzuki26 wrote:Very well done. The new Addict SL is so much lighter than the version it replaced. I always wondered why we don't see more of these fantastic frames on this forum. 10 years ago the original Addict was a starting point frame for all weight weenies. The revised Addict is so much cleaner with the internal cable routing and semi aero profiles. I just love it.

What are some noticeable differences on ride quality and fit when compared to your retired RC build?

I think it might be the limited crank options vs the likes of a super six

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Scott used to offer a threaded English BB option with their Addict, but I think it's gone the way of the dodo in their offerings now.

Mep

by Mep

Johnny Rad wrote:
Mep wrote:Nice, very impressed with the weight. Not even sure I understand how you're able to achieve that with 1.5kg wheels.

Here's a money shot from my LBS. At that weight (12lbs 7oz) there are no cages, Garmin or mount that come in at an additional ~100g though it did have a too tall steerer and a hair more bar and bar tape than today's config. Even so, I think my LBS' scale is optimistic by an oz or two.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRWsTnEh7I6 ... ynncyclery

My LBS' scale pic was nice, but I weighed it all out again at home once it was dialed-in. I weighed the front wheel, rear wheel and built-up frame separately to arrive at my sub-5.7kg / 12.71lbs / 12lbs 11.5oz weight.

Very cool. Apologies I reread my response and realized it came across as cynical. That wasn't my intention. I was genuinely impressed. [emoji106]

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

This build looks just great - just looks light! Bravo

Beaver

by Beaver

Nice ride! :)

How much tire clearance is left in the rear? I wonder if real 28mm tires would fit?

Delorre

by Delorre

Beaver wrote:Nice ride! :)

How much tire clearance is left in the rear? I wonder if real 28mm tires would fit?

No problem at all for the frame itself (I own a 2015 HMX but it's the same bike as this HMX-SL), the limiting factor may be the brake caliper. A 25mm GP4000s on Bora rim (27mm wide) clears the left pivot of the DA9000 rear brake, but not by that much. Lots of clearance to the frame. So depending on brake caliper, you could go to something like a real 30mm, with minimal, but OK clearance. 30mm at the front would be a very tigh fit, but here also, at 25mm GP4000s is not a problem at all.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Beaver wrote:How much tire clearance is left in the rear? I wonder if real 28mm tires would fit?

Delorre wrote:No problem at all for the frame itself... limiting factor may be the brake caliper.

Here's a couple of pics with 23c Schwalbe One clinchers. I think Delorre is correct. As you probably know, Scott sells its current line of Addict road bikes with 25c (rim brakes) and 28c (disc brakes) tires. I emailed them on tire width compatibility, but haven't gotten a response.

Guess I'm a curmudgeon since I'm still on the fence with 25c. In an attempt to offset my vintage tire width choice, I'm rolling with latex tubes. Hope that buys me a smidgeon of credibility (or at least time to switch?!).

Delorre

by Delorre

A short updtate on clearance : fitted the new 25mm michelin power comp a week ago. Those are 27mm wide and alost 25 tall. At the rear, as mentionned, the brake caliper is the limitng factor. Between tyre and frame, I have at least 5 mm clearance everywhere. On the front, I have 3mm clearance at the moment, so, a true 28mm tyre will fit, but nothing really bigger. Some pics to clarify:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

J&L Ti butterfly and bolt tuning (24g) on my Speedplay Ti Zero pedals

Lost 18g over Speedplay OEM. Just like the old days with (too) fast-wearing aluminum butterflies, installation of this J&L product was a breeze. Ride and longevity report to follow.

Going through fleabay, this has to be one of the most cost-effective weight savings! If they hold-up over time, this is a no-brainer.

[A year later, these Ti butterfly bits still look good unlike the aluminum butterfly bits from years ago that couldn't go a full season without getting chewed-up.]

Also swapped out the 8 bolts on my cleats for J&L Ti bolts (5g). Saved 5g over OEM. Again, ride and longevity report to follow.

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anlimdy22

by anlimdy22

Johnny Rad wrote:J&L Ti butterfly and bolt tuning (24g) on my Speedplay Ti Zero pedals

Lost 18g over Speedplay OEM. Just like the old days with (too) fast-wearing aluminum butterflies, installation of this J&L product was a breeze. Ride and longevity report to follow.

Going through fleabay, this has to be one of the most cost-effective weight savings! If they hold-up over time, this is a no-brainer.

Also swapped out the 8 bolts on my cleats for J&L Ti bolts (5g). Saved 5g over OEM. Again, ride and longevity report to follow.

I'm using J&L spindle, butterfly n bolt more than a year now. still no sign of wear n tear.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Delorre wrote:A short updtate on clearance : fitted the new 25mm michelin power comp a week ago. Those are 27mm wide and alost 25 tall. At the rear, as mentionned, the brake caliper is the limitng factor. Between tyre and frame, I have at least 5 mm clearance everywhere. On the front, I have 3mm clearance at the moment, so, a true 28mm tyre will fit, but nothing really bigger. Some pics to clarify:

:beerchug: I would run 25mm 4000S II on 21C rims (28,5mm real width/25mm height), that should be fine - thanks! Even the Foil has 28mm tire clearance. :D