613 Saeco mild weenie

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

hma

by hma

hello all

at the time i'm writing this, i'm very far from home and i'm really missing my bikes and riding (i'm from hungary and we are traveling south america with the gf atm). i usually try to be close to bikes when i can (eg. rent one or go ride the death road in bolivia on a downhill bike) but it's just not the same as riding my own. and it's certainly not enough.

so what can one do 12k kms away from the bikes? daydream, and keep an eye on the classifieds and ebay of course! daydreaming brought up the idea of going a bit ww on my best bike and ebay.. well, more on that a bit later.

the frame was bought on a london forum and built up with the groupset i always liked best. it is a cannondale six13 set up with Campagnolo Record 10s, Hollowgrams and a Fulcrum5 wheelset. i always planned on making it better but was never willing to shell out more than the frame's worth for the wheels. it is fairly light as it currently stands - just a wee bit over 7 kgs (something like 7100 grs), but there's always room for improvement :)

this brings me to an auction i won the other day: i always lusted for a white industries hubset (CK is nice and all but def can't afford) and checking the bay i noticed a wheelset that i really liked.. WI LTA hubs on unknown carbon rims, including a pair of new continental competition tubs and a Dura Ace casette. strangely not many people had it in their sight, so i got the whole combo for really silly money.

also bought an SLR135 saddle to replace the current fizik (shape is ok, but did not have the "comfiest saddle ever" feeling with any saddle so far, so this is an experiment too aside from weight loss)

i'll definitely go down the Kalloy UNO -17 route and might slam the stem fully with a custom top cap, and also thought of getting a lighter post. china carbon is not for me, so was thinking USE Alien Carbon. oh, and a Cannnondale KP017 is also on the wishlist.

seller stated the wheelset comes in at 2000 grs all in, so according to calculations (F5 weight: 1650, Rubino Pro 3 weight: 235, Schwalbe SVT20 weight: 65, Chorus casette: 243, total: 2493), i'm losing quite a bit right there (might be more, as every weight apart from the casette is taken from manufacturers' sites).

will post scale pics when i get home and have the parts in my hands.

those paying attention are surely thinking of the Dura Ace casette i mentioned and Shimano splines for the bike equipped with Campagnolo - it seems i found an LTA with a Campag freehub, already paid for it, so i'm hoping that the seller is going to post it as he went silent right after my payment..

as you can see, this is a fairly budget build, so any suggestion is welcome regarding affordable light components! (eg. current bars are deda zero100 but they seem to be among the lightest oversize alloy, so not sure i can go lower without spending a ton on carbon..)

cheers
hunor

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tom06

by Tom06

Great Cannondale!
I'll be following the thread.

nestornnk

by nestornnk

That is a really nice Cannondale.
It looks much better than the current models.
Excellent color with the proper choice of parts.

Enjoy

dj97223

by dj97223

Welcome! :welcome:

I love the LTA hubs, they sound sweet, but unfortunately they don't work with 11 speed. I have a set of Reynolds DV46 "Stratus", circa 2007, that came with LTA hubs (Campag, black). Those may be Reynolds rims you have there.

Btw, mine are also 16/20. I've been thinking of selling them, if you are interested.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

nvroadie

by nvroadie

I'm envious of your cranks! I would love a set for my Six13.

hma

by hma

thanks people!

rims have distinctive patches on them (valve hole and opposing side) - might be a clue for their make?

dj97223 wrote: I've been thinking of selling them, if you are interested.

let's see how the seller plays it out.. but thanks for letting me know!

KC

by KC

Much love for six13's on here! Great looking bike. Proper crank too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sizzler

by Sizzler

I really like it, looks fantastic!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's a great looking setup you have there. Frame looks totally worthy of any upgrades you see fit.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Timo

by Timo

hma wrote:the frame was bought on a london forum and built up with the groupset i always liked best. it is a cannondale six13 set up with Campagnolo Record 10s, Hollowgrams and a Fulcrum5 wheelset.

10sp Record and Chorus will always get you brownie points. Best combination of form and function :thumbup:
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

dj97223

by dj97223

hma wrote:thanks people!

rims have distinctive patches on them (valve hole and opposing side) - might be a clue for their make?

They look just like my Reynolds wheels. Probably 46mm deep.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

On-topic: With the timeless quality build, you'd never know the Saeco's age! Plus your frame and fork looks to be in top cosmetic condition. Hope you get back to you stable of bikes sooner than later, but until then this Cannonade and memories of Mario C should treat you right.

Off-topic: Reminds me of a pal of mine who used to ride a Saeco Cannondale. I lost track of him for a handful of years until bumping into him last year. He's an animal on the bike now - moving from slightly crazy, but always happy slow guy to the one dishing out the pain non-stop at the front. I hear his name and always think Saeco!

hma

by hma

seller got back to me, seems like the hub is going to the post tomorrow!

i just now realise that i have not put the detailed setup on here, so here it goes:

cdale 613 saeco frame (three carbon tubes) with premium plus fork
cdale hollowgram sisl chainset with mk.V rings (50/34)
campagnolo record titanium 10s fd, rd (both carbon cage), shifters
campagnolo skeleton (out-of-group) dual pivot brakes
fulcrum racing 5 lg wheelset
vittoria rubino pro 3 tires, schwalbe svt20 tubes
deda zero100 stem and bars
deda blackstick seatpost
fizik antares manganese saddle
deda tape

one thing i can definitely loose some weight from is the brakeset. i like the modulation of skeletons but record ones seem super expensive and the rear is single pivot only... was thinking of changing the hardware to titanium (fortunately the main axis screws are available (see link below) and the rest appears to be just regular nuts and bolts)

http://titaniumplanet.com/index.php?id_ ... &id_lang=1

any ideas appreciated, tho!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

Saddle, lose 100 grams easily.
Wheelset, lose 2-300 grams.