CAAD12 Disc, custom new build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Justinmord

by Justinmord

Hello everyone, I'm new to posting this forum but have been a keen reader for a long time.

Recently I started a short term contract at a company after coming out of studies. To celebrate |I decided it was time to move on from my old Carrera Virago 2012 bike and onto something newer with disc's.

My virago had been modified quite a lot with Carbon bars, stem, sadle, seatpost, cranks and some very nice ffwd f6r's but I kept the original 105 gearset. the bike got to a reasonable weight for such a cheap frame and gearset (circa 7.6kg) sadly getting caught in a pileup during an outdoor velodrome race wrote off my front wheel so the bike has ended its life with a very old box section front wheel.

After a long time looking at fully built models including the BMC road machine rm02, Cannondale CAAD12, Giant Defy and a few others I decided I couldn't condone the cost and weight penalty of the aluminium parts and cheap wheels.
I then Started looking at Chinese disc frames for a new build but nothing took my fancy that wasn't a clone. Then I saw a CAAD12 disc frameset heavily reduced and knew it was the one. I have built this bike up with low end sifters and mechanical discs to save money as I plan to swap to Sram etap HRD in the future when I secure a longer contract.

As a little disclaimer I know I haven't measured every component that does all add up but I have taken the approach of its already separate I will measure it, otherwise i will leave it alone.

Brand: Cannondale Type: CAAD12 disc

Final weight: TBC

Frame: Cannondale CAAD12 disc (2016) = circa. 1098g (scales max at 1000g)
Fork: CAAD12 disc (2016) = 430.4g (uncut)
Headset: CAAD12 standard
seatpost clamp: CAAD12 standard = 12.7g
Seatpost: Hylix 25.2mm (ebay china) = 174.7g(uncut)
Seat: Chinese full carbon generic = 114.6g
Bar: Chinese generic integrated bar 420 x120 = 374.8g
Bartape: halfords brand
Bar ends: Custom 3D printed = 12g
bottle cages and hardware: TBC, though likely elite crono cx (x2) at 196g
Front caliper: TRP Spyre slc = 155g
Front caliper: TRP Spyre c = 146g
Disc's 140 x2 = 187.2g
Front derailleur: ultegra 6800 = 86.8g
Rear derailleur: ultegra 6800 = 202.4g
Crankset: rotor 3df bb30 130bcd = 554.7g
Chainrings: Osymetrics 54-42t 130BCD = g(42t) g(54t)
Chain: KMC x11.93 =261g (full)
Shifters: Shimano 105 5800 x2 = 481g
Cassette: Shimano 105 11-32t = 306.3g with locking ring
Wheels: Prime RP-50 tubular disc = 652.5g(front) 776.5g(rear)
Tires: vittoria rally tubular 25c (x2) = 640g
Pedals: Boardman road pro= 257g
Tub tape: tuffo tub tape

The first batch of parts:

The final product:

Wheels:

Handle bars:

Crankset:

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Welcome to the forum.
It's a 'dale so hollowgrams and a Spidering please!!! Other than that, it's a good looking bike. Tempted to build one myself. Did you get the frame on sale from Signa Sport by any chance?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Justinmord

by Justinmord

Hello, Thank you. I spent a lot of time considering the Hollowgrams but it would have bumped the cost up as I had the rotor cranks pretty cheap. I don't have a massive experience of different road bikes but I would agree with what I have read in reviews that this bike is a stunningly balanced ride for any bike let alone aluminium. Yes it was from sigma sport, it was a good price and I preferred the 2016 colors.

tsparkas

by tsparkas

Congrats on the build! Looking forward to buy the same frame now from sigma sports uk for a great price and start my own build.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Hey, good build there! Have you rode the wheels? Been looking at buying some of these myself, especially with the discount chain reaction have on at the minute, although id be going rim brake RP-50 clincher probably.

niklasp

by niklasp

The bike looks great with those wheels!
Is the scale still accurate when standing on floor carpet...?
Whats riding weight on it?

kervelo

by kervelo

That is a great looking CAAD12. I just finished my own build, but the image still makes me wonder, if I needed a bike with discs too.

Regarding the crankset choice, I don't think it is just the hollowgrams & spiderrings that are suitable for the C'dales. They are light and look good, but there are other cranksets too.

Justinmord

by Justinmord

Thank you all for the nice comments, the wheels have done 100km so far so I don't have a lot to go off of, they feel quick and are very light and turned up nice and true. the finish on the rims is hard, I dropped a wooden picture frame which glanced them and it didnt mark. Obviously cant comment on the braking surface but they seem fine in crosswinds, at first I though maybe a little more sensitive than my f6r's were though on my last very windy ride they felt better. Im very happy with them for the price.

In regards to the scales yes this type will work fine on carpet, its only bathroom ones you shouldnt use on carpet as they measure using sensors in the feet, which can be reduced if the scales under surfaces are pressed into the carpet, I havent been able to measure a fully built weight yet other than using cheap bathroom scales, with the bathroom scales its somewhere around 7.9kg with the pedals. I believe with Etap hrd and some lighter non training tyres and it could easily get another 500g off.

superdx

by superdx

Nice! Cool to see the TRP brakes being used. How do you feel about cable discs vs hydraulics, if you've had any experience with the latter?

KeiraChadwick

by KeiraChadwick

Justinmord wrote:Thank you all for the nice comments, the wheels have done 100km so far so I don't have a lot to go off of, they feel quick and are very light and turned up nice and true. the finish on the rims is hard, I dropped a wooden picture frame which glanced them and it didnt mark. Obviously cant comment on the braking surface but they seem fine in crosswinds, at first I though maybe a little more sensitive than my f6r's were though on my last very windy ride they felt better. Im very happy with them for the price.

In regards to the scales yes this type will work fine on carpet, its only bathroom ones you shouldnt use on carpet as they measure using sensors in the feet, which can be reduced if the scales under surfaces are pressed into the carpet, I havent been able to measure a fully built weight yet
rugby union betting with the best odds for you other than using cheap bathroom scales, with the bathroom scales its somewhere around 7.9kg with the pedals. I believe with Etap hrd and some lighter non training tyres and it could easily get another 500g off.

You are really great man! :thumbup:
Last edited by KeiraChadwick on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. Helen Keller

Justinmord

by Justinmord

KeiraChadwick wrote:You are really great man! :thumbup:

Thank you, I know when I was looking at these wheels I wished i could have found some more info so its only right I advise others.

superdx wrote:Nice! Cool to see the TRP brakes being used. How do you feel about cable discs vs hydraulics, if you've had any experience with the latter?

The TRP's feel great, on my first ride in horrendous rain they worked flawlessly and had plenty of power and amazing modulation (something the no brands on my old carerra never had) in the dry however they felt like the lacked the power I expected. I believe the two key factors for this are the standard pads are organic and rubbish, they also wear very fast. I have bought some uberbike sintered pads and fitted them this evening so hopefully I will get a chance to try them Wednesday. though not bedded in they feel beter in the hallway :P. secondly due to my internal routing bars and the routing around the bottom bracket I havent been able to use compression-less housing. I believe the pads is the key one though.

In comparison to hydro's I only have my mtb ones to compare to. they dont have the same bite compared to lever force and the rear one has a bit of a odd feeling due to all of the bends, assuming the new pads work though they are more than adequate and I am seriously considering the hassle of going etap hydro (for one i need post mount on the front). no idea about the TRP cable-hydros but they were too ugly in my opinion to even consider. Hope this helps.

Justinmord

by Justinmord

I have managed to get a ride in the dry on some new sintered pads. They have made a huge difference to the braking ability of the spyres, they are excellent and I honestly don't see much benefit to going hydraulic

superdx

by superdx

Justinmord wrote:I have managed to get a ride in the dry on some new sintered pads. They have made a huge difference to the braking ability of the spyres, they are excellent and I honestly don't see much benefit to going hydraulic

Nice! Even without having to redo the cables. I thought organics were supposed to be all around pad, albeit with some loss of braking power? I guess there are so many brands you just gotta find one that works.

How are you finding the QR setup on the CAAD 12 with regards to the rotor alignment? Assuming you've needed to remove either wheel at all in recent memory.

Justinmord

by Justinmord

Yes cable change would be one advantage of hydraulic as to change the cable for the rear disc I haven't remove the crank and cut the cable tie that holds the outer housing away from the axel. This is because the bend is abit too tight for the sharp leading edge of the cable to easily navigate.

The qr setup has been fine, I've never really understood this problem despite articles listing it as a worry as I would have thought if the disc is always a constant distance from the hub side and the caliper doesn't move, longs you don't crush the fork into the hub alot harder than normal everything should be constant. Also never heard of it being an issue with rear gears.
I take the wheels off after each ride to clean everything and also when I swapped pads and alignment has always been fine.
Do let me know if I'm missing something with how this issue could arrise though as I would like to know.

superdx

by superdx

My only experience has been with BB7 mechanical discs w/ QR, but a friend with a TRP setup (not Spyres) on a Giant Defy also has this problem, also QR. The QR skewer basically doesn't put the wheel in the exact same position every time. And because they're single piston, one side of the pad is closer than the other, so even a slight deviation can cause rubbing. It takes just a minute to sort it out by turning the adjustment dial on the BB7s, but an annoyance nonetheless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com