CAAD12 Disc, custom new build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Justinmord

by Justinmord

Oh right I guess that makes more sense with single sided setups as the spacing has to be alot less. I would say I run alot less pad clearance than the spyres have as standard as o normally wind the adjuster fully out then compress the caliper before tightening the cable. I then wind the adjuster back in until there's no scraping. I also only do the wheels update down so that might also help them sit more constant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Looks great. Tempted to trade in my CAAD10 Black for a CAAD12 Black for no other reason than to build a new bike.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Any more thoughts on the wheels?

jeffy

by jeffy

re: skewers and disc rub. big difference between (heavy) quality Shimano skewers and cheapo (light) skewers.
DT thru bolt in QR dropouts is also a great solution.

Justinmord

by Justinmord

Hello, sorry been abit quite. Loving this bike, now I have the tyre pressures correct it feels like it's gliding. This has caused me to struggle to pace myself as it's lost some of the fast feel (rattle). The wheels are holding up great, hit a small pit hole the other day and nothing. They have been great in crosswinds and at speeds. Worth every penny to me and look the part in my opinion.
The only real thing I will change atm is the front disc to a 160mm just for abit more power, it's been fine with 140 but I hit 90 kph the other day on a lovely Welsh hill and I think a 160 would have been useful.

itboffin

by itboffin

Great thread and ideal for me as i'm about to complete the same build as you apart from the wheels, I have a question which I hope you can answer, what screws did you use to mount the rear TRP brake to the frame?

I can't find any information on what part is needed anywhere.

spanker

by spanker

Looking great! I have about the same bike, only bought not build. Iḿ upgrading some parts here and there and Iḿ seriously pondering sram red etap hrd. Only thing I'm worried about is the post and flat mount difference front and rear. Seems to be needing a different kind of mount for each side, that would really f**k up choices in buying an upgrade package...

'Daletax;

https://imgur.com/AoqNoQL

Justinmord

by Justinmord

In response to "what screws did you use to mount the rear TRP brake to the frame?" I ended up buying some high strengeth (12.9) flanged dome head bolts and then cutting them to length. Although this type is easy to round off causing hassle i like the near flush fitting.

In response to the issue with SRAM etap HRD and the annoying post mount front fork there are only really two options, to buy apost mount or flat mount kit then buy an additional caliper or to manufacture a bracket such as this:

https://s12.postimg.org/b9qibq83x/postm ... dapter.jpg

I have currently 3D printed a bracket the same as this to test the CAD and just waiting on my purchase of a milling machine before I make one.

izz012

by izz012

hi, did you have to use a spacer fitting in the rotor 3d crank onto the bb30a? i have been wanting to put on a 2nd hand rotor 3d30 crank i just got but i hear need some kind of adapter or spacer?

Justinmord

by Justinmord

Hello, my crank came with all the spacers I needed but one was 11mm in size and needed cutting down to 5.5mm I believe. You can also buy this though I can't remember where from sorry.