Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:21 am
Posts: 342
Colnago were not (are not?) averse to building custom geometry frames for regular customers either, so it might very well be a one off. It still seems to be well within your parameters, so you could say it's actually cool to have a unique frame. Regarding the BB drop, just measure ground to center of wheel axle and then ground to center of BB axle and subtract. Should be precise enough to tell if it's way off from normal or not. I would also measure saddle setback (either with a plumb bob, or against a wall), since the STA could be custom as well.

All in all, it's a great looking bike. Looking forward to further ride impressions.


Top
   
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: eh?
@Calnago,
Fork length: I hung the bike up and was able to get some more accurate measures. Yes, 368 mm for the fork, (but by same method Parlee is also 368 mm).

Head tube: I did a remeasure to compare head tubes and the Colnago (including headset) is 187 mm. Parlee is 190 mm included the 15 mm medium headset cover/spacer. Note that my measurement on the Colnago was from the fork crown and not the bottom of the headset as there is a small gap (2 mm) that should be included in the stack. As it stands right now, with the 7mm spacer the bars on the Colnago are 5 mm lower then the Parlee.

Head angle: 72 and small change is what I understood for the head angle. There are no figures I could find for the Extreme power but assuming not much has changed with Colnago geo, the 57 traditional C60 is as you note 72.29 degrees.

Wheelbase: 990 mm +/- a millimeter, Parlee is 980 mm, (pretty much as Fiery indicated in his CAD geo comparison).

Like you say it's all moot. The perfect fit is there to be had. I'll fiddle with seat position and stem length and arrive a something very good.

The only real issue I did encounter on my short shakedown ride was the comfort of the ergo levers. I found that in the "correct" position with the hoods level, my hands were getting jammed up against the vertical nobby part. There was some minor pain in the crotch of the "V" between my thumb and forefinger. I kept moving my hands to the tops for relief. These hoods just feel very small for my hands. My hands are large (I can just palm a basketball), but they are not huge. I suspect I'll be fine if I tilt the hoods upward a bit - it should stop the slide forward. The aesthetic won't be so great however.

_________________
wheelsONfire wrote:
When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm
Posts: 1566
Location: Stockholm, The Arctic...
How did you remove the red from sp?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: eh?
Fiery wrote:
Colnago were not (are not?) averse to building custom geometry frames for regular customers either, so it might very well be a one off. It still seems to be well within your parameters, so you could say it's actually cool to have a unique frame. Regarding the BB drop, just measure ground to center of wheel axle and then ground to center of BB axle and subtract. Should be precise enough to tell if it's way off from normal or not. I would also measure saddle setback (either with a plumb bob, or against a wall), since the STA could be custom as well.

All in all, it's a great looking bike. Looking forward to further ride impressions.


Confirmed BB drop of 70 mm.
Ride impressions? The thing that really surprised me was how comfortable the bike was over rough surfaces. I know everyone makes this claim, but I was a bit sceptical given there's only 12 cm of a fat (31.6) stiff seatpost showing and we are basically talking about two rigid triangles. But I could feel the whole bike yield and "bounce" when it took some bigger hits. Should be a great all-day bike. As for the handling, I'll need more time - it snowed again this morning. :cry: :cry:

_________________
wheelsONfire wrote:
When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: eh?
PSM wrote:
How did you remove the red from sp?


Goof Off. Electrical tape to mask the part you want to keep, wet the edge of a rag with Goof Off, soak the red painted part for 5 minutes, rub, repeat two or three times. At first you'll think nothing is happening, then you'll see colour on the rag and the red letters will start to disappear.

_________________
wheelsONfire wrote:
When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4782
Mr.Gib wrote:
@Calnago,
...The only real issue I did encounter on my short shakedown ride was the comfort of the ergo levers. I found that in the "correct" position with the hoods level, my hands were getting jammed up against the vertical nobby part. There was some minor pain in the crotch of the "V" between my thumb and forefinger. I kept moving my hands to the tops for relief. These hoods just feel very small for my hands. My hands are large (I can just palm a basketball), but they are not huge. I suspect I'll be fine if I tilt the hoods upward a bit - it should stop the slide forward. The aesthetic won't be so great however.

Ha... not sure what to tell you there... perhaps, judging by your signature... that you've gotten used to some big ol' hydraulic disc brake reservoirs sticking up there? It's funny though, because now that I've been riding the 11spd erogs for a few years, the 10spd ergos do feel a little small in comparison. Probably just a case of we get used to something then anything different might feel a bit off for a while, or you just never do adjust to it and go back to what you do like after the experiment is over.
But overall, it looks like you're almost there. Nice!

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: eh?
Calnago wrote:
Ha... not sure what to tell you there... perhaps, judging by your signature... that you've gotten used to some big ol' hydraulic disc brake reservoirs sticking up there? It's funny though, because now that I've been riding the 11spd erogs for a few years, the 10spd ergos do feel a little small in comparison. Probably just a case of we get used to something then anything different might feel a bit off for a while, or you just never do adjust to it and go back to what you do like after the experiment is over.
But overall, it looks like you're almost there. Nice!


Most of my bikes are Sram mechanical, no hydraulics. Shimano finds it's way into the mix from time to time but lately it has been very much second choice. The last time I rode Campy, it was with down tube shifters, although I have done a few short spins on recent Campy equipped bikes (liked record EPS). Perhaps I'll be fine with the Ergos pointed a bit more skyward. Your bar/shifter arrangement is how it ought to be done but that won't work for me unfortunately. As for switching...it's an Extreme Power. It must have Campy on it. Shimano if the situation becomes desperate. But Sram on a "vintage" Colnago. I don't think I could do it. :P

And we haven't even started to talk about that thumb button which is only near your thumb if you move your hand off the hood. :? Does the emperor have no clothes? I need a few hundred km before I can come to any conclusions.

_________________
wheelsONfire wrote:
When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 am 
Online

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:52 am
Posts: 716
Umm...can I call dibs if you ever sell this? I have an EP in PR00 but it wouldn't hate a friend.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: eh?
SLCBrandon wrote:
Umm...can I call dibs if you ever sell this? I have an EP in PR00 but it wouldn't hate a friend.


It's a deal, but don't hold your breath. I am well connected to a number of surgeons, and given how beautiful this bike is, I don't think it would be unreasonable to have my hands surgically modified so that Campy hoods will feel great. :D

_________________
wheelsONfire wrote:
When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:29 am 
Online

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:52 am
Posts: 716
Mr.Gib wrote:
SLCBrandon wrote:
Umm...can I call dibs if you ever sell this? I have an EP in PR00 but it wouldn't hate a friend.


It's a deal, but don't hold your breath. I am well connected to a number of surgeons, and given how beautiful this bike is, I don't think it would be unreasonable to have my hands surgically modified so that Campy hoods will feel great. :D



You're a kind and generous man....


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm
Posts: 1566
Location: Stockholm, The Arctic...
Mr.Gib wrote:
PSM wrote:
How did you remove the red from sp?


Goof Off. Electrical tape to mask the part you want to keep, wet the edge of a rag with Goof Off, soak the red painted part for 5 minutes, rub, repeat two or three times. At first you'll think nothing is happening, then you'll see colour on the rag and the red letters will start to disappear.


Would acetone do the job without damaging?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: eh?
I would worry that acetone would take off more than just the logo. I used acetone to remove painted logos from HED rims. Will it eat the clear coat under the Superlegerra logos? I don't know. Goof Off should be easy to get.

_________________
wheelsONfire wrote:
When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Colnago Extreme Power PR00

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

SLCBrandon

33

2393

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:45 am

SLCBrandon View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Colnago Master X-Light PR82

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

SpecializedColnago

9

2439

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:19 pm

FIJIGabe View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. colnago extreme C with ETAP

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

KB

10

1359

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 am

campagowlo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Parlee Z3 - Rebuild... Full build pics at bottom of page 1.

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

Lig

18

2953

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Lig View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. TrainerRoad - Short Power Build

in Training

alastairb

13

1883

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:12 am

tth86 View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SLCBrandon, stormur and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited