Colnago Extreme Power PR82 - Build Photos Page 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MJB

by MJB

Keep Calm and start surfing the internet........... :D

Both these items are easy to pick up in the frame spares section of any online bike store or alternatively your local bike shop will prob. have perfect match aftermarket parts too.

I don't have my EP frame at hand but from memory, any of the dual mount or wide slot hole option plates will fit the EP.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Turning into a minor saga. Photos, but check out the last one.

Paint is near perfect.

But wait a minute - this is supposed to be a 58 traditional.

It's a 57.

So I am now in the process of figuring out my next move. I don't want to keep the bike if it means a bunch of spacers under the stem.

First I have to figure out how many spacers above the top of a Chris King Nothreadset will be required to achieve my desired maximum sadle to bar drop of about 9 cm. Without building the bike, this calculation is beyond me. The best I could come up with is a comparison to my Parlee Altum which measures 565 mm from the front axle to the bottom of the stem. For the Colnago, adding up the axle to crown of fork 370 mm + head tube 155 mm + Headset 31.4 mm gives me 556.4 mm - aprox 1 cm shorter.

Assuming the same bb drop (and I do believe both bikes are 70 mm) the stack should work out pretty close. This means no or minimal spacers. Can this possibly be correct? Does a 57 cm Colnago have the same stack as my ML Altum (590 mm) once the CK headset is factored in? I would have thought the Colnago geo was a tad more aggressive

Now I am off to evaluate the next issue - did I waste $100 on a 120 mm Deda Superlegerra stem because I suspect I will need a 130 mm to get my reach? And does my now debadged Superlegerra seat post have enough setback?

Lots of fun....
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

KB

by KB

I don't think the headtube will make a lot of difference between a 57 and a 58. It's less than 1cm. and i think the top tube length is also less than 1 cm. The beauty of Colnago geometry is that it is very incremental. I originally had a 58 Extreme C, but I much preferred the 57 that I bought.

Unless you have your post right back then it's easy to position it further back. And is it such a big deal if you put a 13cm stem in? For me it would certainly look better.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

KB wrote:And is it such a big deal if you put a 13cm stem in? For me it would certainly look better.

Not a big deal at all, just some money, time, and fooling around with cable lengths while I experiment with different stems.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

KB

by KB

Whatever you come up with I'm sure you'll love. they are fantastic bikes. and that's a nice colour. enjoy.

NoBlink

by NoBlink

Nice frame! Looking forward to see this bike build :D

MJB

by MJB

Build it, ride it................ then evaluate it.

Fiery

by Fiery

If it's a 57, it should have the same ST angle as a 58, so no need to worry about the setback. Get a cheap 130 mm stem to begin with and leave the cables a bit long until you finalize the position. It's quite likely the 57 will fit you even better than a 58 would. Lovely frame, looking forward to seeing it built up.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So, that's a 57 for sure? Reason I ask is because it looks like the headtube length is smack inbetween a 56 and a 57 Traditional. At least in that era I've found the headtube lengths to match up pretty well with the geo charts, unless it was a custom geometry. Did you take a couple other measurements, like top tube length (approximate to a millimeter or two just to verify that it matches the geo chart), and the seat tube length from the BB Center to the bottom of the seat collar (where the collar starts, not the top). That length should correspond to the Colnago size number. Measuring to the top of the collar would get you a measurement of ~1cm greater than the nominal size.

It should have come with the derailleur cable stops and a BB guide. The cable stops should be easy enough to obtain, but the BB guide might be a little harder to come by, but I'm sure if you called Colnago America they might be able to help you out there. I wish the Campy BB guides that they still provide with their cable sets would fit properly. I think the only bikes those things fit these days are old steel frames, yet they still include them with their cable kits.

The Superlegerro seatpost doesn't have much set back, only 12mm. Doesn't work for me unless I want to have the saddle clamped very close to the front of the rails. My favorite Deda seatpost these days is the SuperZero with it's 21mm set back as when I'm dialed in it clamps the rails pretty much in the middle. Colnagos post set back is 15mm. The 3T Dorico LTD seatpost I used to have on my C59 has a 25mm setback. Key is to find the combo that works for your particular saddle and setup. It's a process.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

Let me know your Parlee setup (stem length, angle, model, mm of spacers under the stem and I'll sling a CAD together for you on the Colnago setup, will take me 5 mins.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

SuperDomestique wrote:Let me know your Parlee setup (stem length, angle, model, mm of spacers under the stem and I'll sling a CAD together for you on the Colnago setup, will take me 5 mins.

Wow thanks.

80/10 degree Pro PLT 130 mm.
No spacers but the stem does sit on top of the Parlee supplied medium spacer. This space is factored into the stack of 593 mm.
The Parlee is an ML Altum.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Calnago wrote:So, that's a 57 for sure? Reason I ask is because it looks like the headtube length is smack inbetween a 56 and a 57 Traditional. At least in that era I've found the headtube lengths to match up pretty well with the geo charts, unless it was a custom geometry. Did you take a couple other measurements, like top tube length (approximate to a millimeter or two just to verify that it matches the geo chart), and the seat tube length from the BB Center to the bottom of the seat collar (where the collar starts, not the top). That length should correspond to the Colnago size number. Measuring to the top of the collar would get you a measurement of ~1cm greater than the nominal size.

It should have come with the derailleur cable stops and a BB guide. The cable stops should be easy enough to obtain, but the BB guide might be a little harder to come by, but I'm sure if you called Colnago America they might be able to help you out there. I wish the Campy BB guides that they still provide with their cable sets would fit properly. I think the only bikes those things fit these days are old steel frames, yet they still include them with their cable kits.

The Superlegerro seatpost doesn't have much set back, only 12mm. Doesn't work for me unless I want to have the saddle clamped very close to the front of the rails. My favorite Deda seatpost these days is the SuperZero with it's 21mm set back as when I'm dialed in it clamps the rails pretty much in the middle. Colnagos post set back is 15mm. The 3T Dorico LTD seatpost I used to have on my C59 has a 25mm setback. Key is to find the combo that works for your particular saddle and setup. It's a process.

@Calnago, yes I confirmed 57 cm from center of BB to bottom of seatpost collar. top tube seems correct also. The head tube measure does seem to be about 3 mm short of the official dimension but TBH, I am not 100% sure that chart I posted applies to this frame. So many subtle variation in geo over the years. Either way I am not concerned - the bike is plenty tall enough in the front end for me once the CK headset is fatored in. Should be fine with a 130 stem. My saddle height is 76 cm, so - I don't think this bike is too small for me.

The seatpost setback issue should be OK also. I am using SQ lab saddles and I find I clamp them about 2 cm further forward than any other saddle I have used.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, you should be pretty much bang on then with a saddle height of 76cm and your desired drop of 9cm, in fact depending on how you measure your saddle height (to a straight edge across the top) or just to the lowest "dip" point along the seat tube axis, it's likely you wont have any spacers at all above the Chris king headset with that -10/130mm stem (CK headset stack is 30.1mm installed) and from the pics it looks like your headtube is ~154mm. In fact, for some reason I thought you even mentioned a 10cm saddle to bar drop at one point and I kind of thought that may be tough to achieve with the 58, so probably better that it did arrive as a 57 in the end.
Looking forward to it being built up.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I bought a used Extreme Power back in 2012 and it came with a pretty chewed up Shimano BB guide so I replaced it with the standard Campag one which fitted perfectly:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tids0009

by tids0009

Very nice looking frame, love that colour scheme!