Colnago Extreme Power PR82 - Build Photos Page 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fiery

by Fiery

Colnago were not (are not?) averse to building custom geometry frames for regular customers either, so it might very well be a one off. It still seems to be well within your parameters, so you could say it's actually cool to have a unique frame. Regarding the BB drop, just measure ground to center of wheel axle and then ground to center of BB axle and subtract. Should be precise enough to tell if it's way off from normal or not. I would also measure saddle setback (either with a plumb bob, or against a wall), since the STA could be custom as well.

All in all, it's a great looking bike. Looking forward to further ride impressions.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@Calnago,
Fork length: I hung the bike up and was able to get some more accurate measures. Yes, 368 mm for the fork, (but by same method Parlee is also 368 mm).

Head tube: I did a remeasure to compare head tubes and the Colnago (including headset) is 187 mm. Parlee is 190 mm included the 15 mm medium headset cover/spacer. Note that my measurement on the Colnago was from the fork crown and not the bottom of the headset as there is a small gap (2 mm) that should be included in the stack. As it stands right now, with the 7mm spacer the bars on the Colnago are 5 mm lower then the Parlee.

Head angle: 72 and small change is what I understood for the head angle. There are no figures I could find for the Extreme power but assuming not much has changed with Colnago geo, the 57 traditional C60 is as you note 72.29 degrees.

Wheelbase: 990 mm +/- a millimeter, Parlee is 980 mm, (pretty much as Fiery indicated in his CAD geo comparison).

Like you say it's all moot. The perfect fit is there to be had. I'll fiddle with seat position and stem length and arrive a something very good.

The only real issue I did encounter on my short shakedown ride was the comfort of the ergo levers. I found that in the "correct" position with the hoods level, my hands were getting jammed up against the vertical nobby part. There was some minor pain in the crotch of the "V" between my thumb and forefinger. I kept moving my hands to the tops for relief. These hoods just feel very small for my hands. My hands are large (I can just palm a basketball), but they are not huge. I suspect I'll be fine if I tilt the hoods upward a bit - it should stop the slide forward. The aesthetic won't be so great however.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

How did you remove the red from sp?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Fiery wrote:Colnago were not (are not?) averse to building custom geometry frames for regular customers either, so it might very well be a one off. It still seems to be well within your parameters, so you could say it's actually cool to have a unique frame. Regarding the BB drop, just measure ground to center of wheel axle and then ground to center of BB axle and subtract. Should be precise enough to tell if it's way off from normal or not. I would also measure saddle setback (either with a plumb bob, or against a wall), since the STA could be custom as well.

All in all, it's a great looking bike. Looking forward to further ride impressions.

Confirmed BB drop of 70 mm.
Ride impressions? The thing that really surprised me was how comfortable the bike was over rough surfaces. I know everyone makes this claim, but I was a bit sceptical given there's only 12 cm of a fat (31.6) stiff seatpost showing and we are basically talking about two rigid triangles. But I could feel the whole bike yield and "bounce" when it took some bigger hits. Should be a great all-day bike. As for the handling, I'll need more time - it snowed again this morning. :cry: :cry:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

PSM wrote:How did you remove the red from sp?

Goof Off. Electrical tape to mask the part you want to keep, wet the edge of a rag with Goof Off, soak the red painted part for 5 minutes, rub, repeat two or three times. At first you'll think nothing is happening, then you'll see colour on the rag and the red letters will start to disappear.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Mr.Gib wrote:@Calnago,
...The only real issue I did encounter on my short shakedown ride was the comfort of the ergo levers. I found that in the "correct" position with the hoods level, my hands were getting jammed up against the vertical nobby part. There was some minor pain in the crotch of the "V" between my thumb and forefinger. I kept moving my hands to the tops for relief. These hoods just feel very small for my hands. My hands are large (I can just palm a basketball), but they are not huge. I suspect I'll be fine if I tilt the hoods upward a bit - it should stop the slide forward. The aesthetic won't be so great however.

Ha... not sure what to tell you there... perhaps, judging by your signature... that you've gotten used to some big ol' hydraulic disc brake reservoirs sticking up there? It's funny though, because now that I've been riding the 11spd erogs for a few years, the 10spd ergos do feel a little small in comparison. Probably just a case of we get used to something then anything different might feel a bit off for a while, or you just never do adjust to it and go back to what you do like after the experiment is over.
But overall, it looks like you're almost there. Nice!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Calnago wrote:Ha... not sure what to tell you there... perhaps, judging by your signature... that you've gotten used to some big ol' hydraulic disc brake reservoirs sticking up there? It's funny though, because now that I've been riding the 11spd erogs for a few years, the 10spd ergos do feel a little small in comparison. Probably just a case of we get used to something then anything different might feel a bit off for a while, or you just never do adjust to it and go back to what you do like after the experiment is over.
But overall, it looks like you're almost there. Nice!

Most of my bikes are Sram mechanical, no hydraulics. Shimano finds it's way into the mix from time to time but lately it has been very much second choice. The last time I rode Campy, it was with down tube shifters, although I have done a few short spins on recent Campy equipped bikes (liked record EPS). Perhaps I'll be fine with the Ergos pointed a bit more skyward. Your bar/shifter arrangement is how it ought to be done but that won't work for me unfortunately. As for switching...it's an Extreme Power. It must have Campy on it. Shimano if the situation becomes desperate. But Sram on a "vintage" Colnago. I don't think I could do it. :P

And we haven't even started to talk about that thumb button which is only near your thumb if you move your hand off the hood. :? Does the emperor have no clothes? I need a few hundred km before I can come to any conclusions.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Umm...can I call dibs if you ever sell this? I have an EP in PR00 but it wouldn't hate a friend.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

SLCBrandon wrote:Umm...can I call dibs if you ever sell this? I have an EP in PR00 but it wouldn't hate a friend.

It's a deal, but don't hold your breath. I am well connected to a number of surgeons, and given how beautiful this bike is, I don't think it would be unreasonable to have my hands surgically modified so that Campy hoods will feel great. :D

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Mr.Gib wrote:
SLCBrandon wrote:Umm...can I call dibs if you ever sell this? I have an EP in PR00 but it wouldn't hate a friend.

It's a deal, but don't hold your breath. I am well connected to a number of surgeons, and given how beautiful this bike is, I don't think it would be unreasonable to have my hands surgically modified so that Campy hoods will feel great. :D

You're a kind and generous man....

PSM

by PSM

Mr.Gib wrote:
PSM wrote:How did you remove the red from sp?

Goof Off. Electrical tape to mask the part you want to keep, wet the edge of a rag with Goof Off, soak the red painted part for 5 minutes, rub, repeat two or three times. At first you'll think nothing is happening, then you'll see colour on the rag and the red letters will start to disappear.

Would acetone do the job without damaging?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I would worry that acetone would take off more than just the logo. I used acetone to remove painted logos from HED rims. Will it eat the clear coat under the Superlegerra logos? I don't know. Goof Off should be easy to get.